How to move from Roon 1.8 to 2.0

Thank you for your helpful insight. I appreciate them.

Ok. The thing is just that 1.8 will never change again and 2.0 has since acquired lots of new features beyond ARC.

On the other hand, if you don’t want any new features, this may be just fine for you, with the caveat that at some unknown future time 1.8 may stop working for the reasons outlined by Wade.

However, none of this 1.8 vs 2.0 business has anything to do with the new Roon OS update. Personally I would install that even if I don’t need HDMI or Thunderbolt if only to make it stop asking about it.

1 Like

Roon 1.8 also connects to Roon’s Cloud services. These may change over time to accommodate future changes in Roon 2.0, so no guarantees for future working after Roon Labs say 1.8 is dead.

I am trying to find a web page or article that enumerates those features, so that it’s easy to see the differences between 1.8 and 2.0.

Could you please point me in the right direction?

Good point. Would you or anyone here have an idea as to when that would happen?

No idea, and we won’t know until Roon Labs pull the plug, but I think it’s safe to assume that they will pull the plug at some point. They have no reason now to divert support resources into 1.8 alongside those for 2.0.

Each release and the changes in it are listed in a release notes post here:

Thank you. I read through some of those, but I was hoping to find one article that consolidates the relevant information, perhaps into a comparison chart for quick reference. Hopefully there is one.

There’s the Roon blog that probably contains a post for every new large feature.

The release notes are more complete and there are about 35 since the release of 2.0, with the most important stuff at the beginning of each one. Takes about 15 minutes to skim the entirety, I suppose

I would suggest that some in this thread cut down on the scaremongering and coercing. Roon 1.8 will continue working until it does not. People can keep using Roon 1.8 as long as it works. For good measure, Roon 1.7 still works, and it is both much older than and very different from Roon 1.8, let alone Roon 2.0.

AJ

1 Like

I’m trying to go from 1.8 to 2.0

file downloaded into this directory:

No re-install, only restart for the roon server software.

I’m no longer able to access my Roon Rock

Am I missing something here?

It seems what you are missing is following the instructions, my bolding in point 4:

How do I move to Roon 2.0 from Roon 1.8?

RoonOS 2.0 (Nucleus / ROCK)

The name below in red is case-sensitive, capitalization matters

1. Download the following file: roon-production.bin to a PC (do not modify the name, extension, or content of this file).

2. Navigate to the /Data/Reinstall directory on your Nucleus or ROCK.

3. Copy the roon-production.bin file that you downloaded into the Reinstall directory.

4. Visit the RoonOS webUI page and click on the “Reinstall” button.

Sorry but I get no “Reinstall” message or button.

I did followed the instruction.Is there a way to force roon to check for the .bin file?

This is always there (or should be) on the RoonOS webUI page, the link to this info is also in point #4:

No button but… suddenly 2.0 appeared :slight_smile: after reinstalling O/S several times and restarting rebooting.
Thanks for your quick feedback

It’s right there in your screenshot, but I guess it’s moot now :slight_smile:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Latest Build of Roon OS?