How to move from Roon 1.8 to 2.0

I am currently using Roon 1.8 (build 1151) production1x on a Nucleus. I think this is known as the “Legacy” version. Since the Internet access issue has been removed, I would like to “upgrade” to the latest version of Roon from version 1.8.

Would someone from Roon please confirm that the steps I need to take to upgrade to the latest version of Roon are listed on this Knowledge Base article:

Also, wouldn’t I need to update my Nucleus OS to 2.0 before installing Roon on my Windows desktop?

Thanks!

Carl

As you are posting in Roon Software Discussion, official staff is unlikely to read this. But yes, the instructions are for “How do I move to Roon 2.0 from Roon 1.8?”, so that’s what they describe.

There are instructions for moving Nucleus to 2.0 in your link as well

I am also using Roon 1.8 (build 1151) on a Nucleus NUC, and do not use ARC. I tried it on Roon 2.0 when it first came out but could not get it to work due to certain limitations with my internet service provider.

Today, Roon informed me that an update is ready be downloaded.

Since i don’t use ARC and am happy with how Roon 1.8 (build 1151) runs, should I proceed with the update?

This is probably the update for Roon OS, which is unrelated to the Roon Server version:

As @Suedkiez says, this update will be for Roon OS, not Roon Server.

But you should be aware that Roon 1.8 will not be around for ever. Now that the “always-on internet” requirement has been removed from Roon 2.0, the writing is on the wall for Roon 1.8.

2 Likes

Thanks, folks. Yes, Roon OS. I run ROCK on a Nucleus NUC and do not use Roon Server.

Many say “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” My ROCK / Roon 1.8 ain’t broke.

Would there be any technical reasons for updating to 2.0?

ROCK includes Roon Server. There’s always a Roon Server in any Roon installation, and it’s either running on Nucleus, ROCK, or Windows/macOS/Linux.

(By the way, why are you running ROCK on your Nucleus? Did you reinstall it? If so, you should let Roon staff enable the special software for Nucleus, so that you have proper temperature management)

Lots of new features and improvements.

1 Like

Thank you for the correction. I run ROCK on an Intel NUC, not a Nucleus, sorry for my confusion.

Should I proceed with the update or just leave things alone?

Like I said, it’s just the Roon OS update (see the link I posted), and it probably will keep nagging you if you don’t install it.

Could you please point me to the page with this information? I would greatly appreciate it.

Probably best just to read the 2.0.x release notes at Software Release Notes

1 Like

Thank you. I have, and am unclear as to the benefits of updating as the ARC and HDMI enhancements do not really apply to me.

Perhaps there is a “changelog” or a similar page you could point me to where the differences are listed on a chart for quick reading?

Roon probably use many developer tools and frameworks . These are changing constantly, sooner or later something in 1.8 will cease to supported and 1.8 will go.

Originally it was offered after the outcry of internet always on, the change to 2.0 was one of those technical changes.

Advise - bite the bullet and stay up to date , there is no reason not to. Even if you don’t use some features , like for instance I don’t use ARC.

Just my 2p

It’s quite clear from the Release Notes thread that 1.8 is frozen, whilst there have been numerous releases of 2.0 since it was first released.

Agreed that most of these are fixes/improvements for ARC, but there have also been UI tweaks and stability fixes for Roon itself.

One major change that has already been delivered is Folder Browsing in Roon - this may or may not be relevant to you. Another major change that is currently being tested in Early Access is the Playlist Improver. Folks are already asking for this functionality to be extended to the Album Browser.

The decision on when or whether to move is of course yours to make, but there will definitely come a time when the move will be inevitable, because Roon Labs will drop 1.8 completely.

Edit: Playlist Improver is now in Production!

Released to production just now.

1 Like

OK from the beginning:

At the most basic level, the software on the Nucleus is divided into two functions:

• RoonOs - a minimal operating system based on linux
  • Roon Server - the application that runs on top of the OS

The update that you are being offered only updates the RoonOs part (from build 259 to build 261). The Roon Server application will not be altered and will continue to report the same build number (1151)

The version 1.8 or 2.0 versions that you see talked about in relation to ‘Legacy’ or current versions of Roon relate only to the Roon Server application installed on top of RoonOS. The version of RoonOs itself has no impact on functionality unless you have a modern hardware platform (Titan or later version of the NUCs).

You don’t say what Nucleus version you have - but unless you have a Nucleus Titan then there are unlikely to be any observable differences in upgrading to the latest build (261) of RoonOs.

The talk of ‘HDMI’ on thunderbolt/USB C relates to the Titan and later NUCs which have a Thunderbolt 4 port. This port, which looks like a USB C port supports USB rates up to to 40Mbps but it also supports (with the correct cable) direct attachment to an HDMI monitor (or in the case of Roon, an HDMI audio device). Until this last release of RoonOs (and the early access release that immediately preceeded it), HDMI over thunderbolt was not supported by the installed RoonOs drivers. Build 261 of RoonOS adds support for this functionality.

Having said that, I would be inclined to think of RoonOS updates (which happen very infrequently - the previous update was nearly a year ago) as the equivalent of Windows or OSX updates. Viewed in this way, I would suggest that it is a good idea to install this update even though you will not see any direct advantages or new features.

Quite separate from this, the primary reason for the existence of Legacy Roon Server (version 1.8 build 1151) was to address the initial need to have an always on connection with Roon 2.0. This requirement has now been removed and the latest versions of Roon 2.0 (from build 2.0.28 onwards) will work offline in the same way as Roon Legacy. This removes the primary ‘raison d’etre’ for Roon Legacy (1.8) and so it is likely that this build will cease to be supported at some time in the future.

As a consequence, you may well want to consider migrating from Roon Legacy (1.8) to the current version of Roon (2.0.38 has just been announced) in order to get ongoing support into the future as well as the new features: Folder Browsing, Playlist Hierarchies, Tidal MAX (HiRes FLAC) support, Playlist Improver, ARC etc etc

2 Likes

Thank you for the explanation, it is much appreciated.

Sorry I mis-spoke earlier, I do not use a Nucleus. I run ROCK on a NUC12WSHi7 I put together late last year, with these parts.

Needing to be online all the time is primarily why I am still on 1.8 (1151). Internet connectivity in my neck of the woods (Manila, Philippines) is awful at best.

The updates that yourself, Geoff and Joel mentioned above are compelling reasons for me to upgrade to the latest version. Thanks, folks, much appreciated.

Three questions, though:

1. When support for Legacy 1.8 (1151) finally ends, does that mean it stop working on my NUC? Or will I still be able to use it normally?

2. Any chance that the requirement to be on line all the time will return in future versions of Roon?

3. In case something goes wrong during the update process, will I still be able to go back to 1.8 (1151)?

In that case, I believe that the OS update will add support for an HDMI connection to an AV reciever which can then be used to provide multi-channel audio. This may or may not be important to you.

Not necessarily. The 1.8 Roon Server on your NUC will continue to work. More likely to be a problem is the support for the Legacy version of Roon client on Windows/Mac and Roon Remote on Android IOS devices. If it ever gets to the point where the last legacy version of these don’t work on the latest patched version of Windows, OSX, Android or IOS, then you will have problems.

I don’t think anyone can say with any certainty that it will never be re-introduced. However, having had a major change in policy on this after the acquisition by Harman, I, personally, doubt that the ‘always online’ requirement will be re-introduced in the forseeable future.

Yes at present. However, there are some caviates:

1. You must perform and retain a backup of your 1.8 database before you upgrade to version 2.0 because the database will be updated in such a way that it becomes incompatible with Roon 1.8.
  2. At some unknown point in the future, the Roon Legacy installers may be removed from Roon’s download servers so, if you think this may be a posibility, maybe you want download and retain the installers.
  3. At some unknown point in the future the Roon Legacy Remotes may be removed from Google Play and Apple stores. You can mitigate this for android by downloading the APK which will allow you to install at a later date - but I don’t think that the same is possible on IOS devices(I’m not an IOS user so others may be able to confirm or refute this point).
  4. At some unknown point in the future, the Windows/Mac/Android/IOS applications may stop working. In this case, it is unlikely that new compatible versions will be provided.
1 Like

But this limitation was removed from Roon 2.0 a few months ago.

What @Wade_Oram said

I am aware. However, I decided to install 1.8 (1151) on my NUC12i7 because I do not use ARC.

I tried it when it was first released. At that time, I had to switch on a big, power hungry gaming PC to run my Roon core.

Because of limitations with my internet service provider, I could not get ARC to work. So when I decided to reduce my power consumption by running Roon on a NUC12i7, I installed 1.8 (1151).