How to optimize a dedicated Windows 10 install to make the most streamlined Roon Core server?

To quote

“was it broke did it need fixing ?”. I hope you can get the new setup working

Well I got Ubuntu up and running with a minimal install and Roon is working perfectly too.

2 Likes

ROCK on a NUC in custom fanless case.

John,

I purchased a Win 10 workstation for my music server. I utilize Roon with my personal library, using this workstation for my primary two channel system (I don’t stream with any services with this system).

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the best thing is to keep other apps off the machine if it truly dedicated as a music server; mine is. And the trick is to keep Microsoft from attempting to load add-ons and other “services” into the box via the Win 10 OS (where they apparently think that is a doorway to users, whether the users request it. I really don’t like that, but they don’t care about that; consequently, I have periodically had to undo settings and delete things that they have attempted to “help” me with over the two years I’ve had this set-up). By the way, this box has worked flawlessly with Roon; I use it via headless remote sessions and my set-up is connected with Ethernet (i.e., no wireless connections, except for the Roon controller app via my iPad device in the listening room. I wish the controller were more bullet-proof, but I’ve not had any urps bad enough to ruin a listening session. Admittedly, my home has thick walls and stucco - with the associated wire mesh underlayment that acts as a sort of Faraday cage; a real challenge for unfettered wi-fi covferage)…

In sum - if you can keep the trash off the box from Microsoft, I imagine you’ll have a great experience. But this takes diligence and some work…

Microsoft, if you’re listening - stop it!
Lon

You can consider the use of Audiophile Optimizer, if you will keep the machine as W10. I use it with WS2019 myself and am very pleased.

https://www.highend-audiopc.com/audiophile-optimizer

JCR

Why not try ROCK on your PC? If it runs it’s done and dusted.

1 Like

If you’re going “dedicated” then Roon Optimized Core Kit is your friend.
Install it, set it, and forget it…

I don’t like Ubuntu (as headless application) is that I can’t switch it off using the power button on the PC, it’s a pain to use another PC to remotely switch it off.

Fidelizer is another option for windows

But ROCK requires NUC, right? Windows works on any PC, and if you don’t install anything else besides Roon server, you can still call it ‘dedicated’.

“Any hardware configurations other than the above are unsupported.
Although they may work now, they may also stop working at any time due to updates.”

Hi Marian,
ROCK has been tested and developed for nuc, but nuc is still common PC hardware, with an intel processor, and memory, and a pci bus, you name it…
I’m running ROCK in a virtual machine on virtualbox for 2 years now, never had any issue whatsoever. The host is running ubuntu on an amd processor.
You probably need to be a bit knowledgable when you want to install it on not nuc hardware.
I’m sure plenty can be found in the tinkering category of this forum.

I quoted this in another reply, I’m doing it here again:

“Any hardware configurations other than the above are unsupported.
Although they may work now, they may also stop working at any time due to updates.”

Roon server is supported on Windows, and Windows is supported on most PCs. No tinkering required.

Meaning if you need support, you will not get it…
but it will work, but its not guaranteed

tinkering might be a synonym for freedom…in this context…

Jeffrey,

I looked at Audiophile Optimizer a couple of years ago. I read about uncertainties concerning how it affected system security. And that it is most effective when addressing a system with drop-outs. I didn’t want to risk security given I’m using Roon and I don’t experience drop-outs. So I passed…but it may be useful for some…
Lon

I choose freedom from ROCK :slight_smile:

:+1: :sunglasses:
I rest my case…

I’ve never myself heard or read of any security issues with Audiophile Optimizer. Where did you see that? You do have the choice to turn off Windows Defender but that is an option, not a requirement. JCR

It was two years ago - I’ve slept since then…but as various parts of the OS are shut down through the optimizer, that made the concern seem somewhat relevant to me. I also wonder why the documentation regarding the optimizer is somewhat oblique. Anyway, bottom line is I gave it a pass for my system…