How to optimize a dedicated Windows 10 install to make the most streamlined Roon Core server?

I am repurposing a Windows 10 Desktop I have to be a dedicated Roon Core machine. How do I optimize it for Roon?

Install Ubuntu 20.04 and then roon. Magic.

4 Likes

The only thing I can think of is not to install any other apps besides Roon, so that Roon can be the sole beneficiary of the system resources (CPU, memory and storage). Iā€™ve been using a Lenovo tiny PC with a 2-core Pentium at 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 240GB internal hard drive and external USB storage for over a year now and havenā€™t had any issues with my workflow (up to 2 rooms simultaneous streaming, no DSP).

I am open to Ubuntu. Iā€™d like to use that machine for some music file processing, like tagging and stuff. As long as I can use Ubuntu that would be fine.

I should also add that I am trying to reduce the power consumption of the machine as much as possible, as it will be running 24/7 and 90% of the time it will be idling. I am using a Dell XPS 8000 which is about 6 years old, Core i7 with 16GB memory, and I installed a Gold rated PSU for efficiency. I will probably use the onboard graphics, and the machine will be headless with just remote access.

Can I move my Roon Core install from Windows to Ubuntu? How do I do that? I assume backup Roon on Windows and then move that backup folder to Ubuntu Core install and do a restore? Will that work?

1 Like

Iā€™ve used the above, it worked well for me. A few times. Things change. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll be moving my music drive from Windows to Ubuntu. Should I add the storage location to Roon before the restore or after it?

The Migration article states that you set up the new storage location first (step 1).

Use an operating system (Linux or Windows) that has been customized dedicated to audio (eg AudioLinux).

Iā€™ve been using Windows 10 Pro with Roon Server for a while now.
The JCat network card and the JCat USB card are mounted in a i7 PC with 4 SSD.
Have perfected this with two SBooster external power supplies for both cards.
Then finally installed the software Fidelizer https://www.fidelizer-audio.com/ that gets the best out of Windows 10.
Iā€™m very happy with it.

Why do you need to optimize it ? Power usage , interference with Roon ?

My Roon core is my general purpose and Dev PC , nothing special itā€™s i7 - 7700 250 Gb SSD 16 Gb RAM

It has 4 x HDD for video audio etc. I never get a blip out of it and I have JRiver and SQL Server running alongside Roon. It just works.

If its a dedicated PC then just strip off any unwanted apps , services etc , there are usually loads. Use Defender as AV and ā€œexcludeā€ your music drive(s) to prevent scanning as you load and play. I use a Defender protected staging drive to check out inputs before dropping into my library.

The more complicated you make things the more likely it will go wrong (KISS principal)

Just my 2p

ā€˜The goal of Fidelizerā€™s optimizations is to reduce the ā€œdigital glareā€ in computer audio solutions and make music sound live like listening to real sound.ā€™

Sounds like total ā€œdigital hot airā€ to me.

2 Likes

You can try it anytime, there is a free version.

1 Like

Thereā€™s nothing there worth trying, just buzzwords. Besides, I donā€™t play music on my Roon server, I use it only for streaming. Thereā€™s nothing I can install on the server that can improve playback across a network.

Itā€™s your choice.
This is a very controversial topicā€¦
Fidelizer even has streamer settings.

The controversy is created by the industry. As long as there is no buffer overflow or underflow in the DAC during playback, any digital transport that can move bits from A to B does the job.

I got my Ubuntu machine running. That was fairly straightforward. I did the minimal install, so I have to add a few components. Installing Roon Server was fairly easy. Seeing on my network and changing my main PCs Roon instance to log onto the Roon Server was also easy. Now I can open the Ubuntu Roon from my PC desktop and configure Roon.

I have another problem though. My Roon Endpoint (A Stack Link II Ropiee Endpoint) is not showing in my Audio settings. The problem does not appear to be firewall related. I can see a Chromcast device in the settings, so its discoverable. And I can access the core from my Android phone no problem. I started a support post about this.

I went from Windows to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and went back to Windows for Core as the system was MUCH more responsive. Same identical hardware.

Letā€™s go ROCK, ROCK can work with Intel based non-NUC

1 Like