How to properly identify multi-disc singles

Hi all,

I apologise if this has been answered somewhere before. I wasn’t entirely sure what to search for but couldn’t find an answer directly.

I’ve bought a lot of CD singles in the past, ripped them and previously had them stored on a NAS. They’re now sitting happily on the internally installed SSD of my lovely new Nucleus.

However, a very large number of them are still listed as unidentified. I’ve tagged them in the past using mp3Tag - typically retrieving the metadata from Discogs.

Now, a large number of singles I’ve purchased have been released in two (or sometimes more) editions, CD1 containing the single and maybe a b-side, and CD containing a number of remixes, for example.

Depeche Mode’s Enjoy the Silence was released in three separate CD single editions with totally different track-listings.

My problem is being able to identify CD single sets like this correctly in Roon. I tend of have all the tracks from multi-disc sets in one folder, but with the disc they come from correctly tagged. When you come to Identify the single inside Roon, however, you have to pick a version, which means that tracks from the other discs remain unidentified.

Is there an easy way around this that I’m missing?

Cheers,

Jame.s

Not an easy way given the starting point of your organization. What I do is I put each single in its own folder. You cannot call them CD1, CD2 either or roon will assume your sets are double/triple albums and you will likely not get an identification. So a hierarchy like this:

Artist A
	Single 1 (radio release)
		Side a 
		Side b
	Single 1 (club release)
		Mix a
		Mix b
		Bonus
	Single 2 (radio release)
		Side a
		Side b
	Single 2 (club release)
		Mix a
		Mix b
		Bonus
	etc.

You can then use tags to group together the related singles if you wish. Personally I never bothered.

It is not ideal. Maybe someone has another idea. I would be interested. In many ways this is a special case of box set handling. In general roon does not handle these sorts of release hierarchies very well.