How to remove my payment method or cancel my subscription in advance?

Hi there,

I came across something today which I believe is really shady: there is no way to remove your payment method (what if I have lost the card or close my bank account?) nor a way to cancel a yearly subscription.

It is like you enter your bank details once and you are billed forever… I’m a bit disappointed with this forced sales technique.

I had the very same discussion with Adobe about my Lightroom a few months ago, you cannot remove any bank details! For god sake, provide decent products and experiences to your clients, and they will stay…

End of the /rant

G.

1 Like

Hello, can you not go into your account details and change your payment method?

As for cancellation or other account queries @beka should get you through to a very helpful person, who will sort you out.

Worry not!

1 Like

Hey Glimmer,

I can go to my account but I cannot cancel/suspend my current subscription. I can only change my payment mean but I would like to set it to “None” simply.

My subscription would then expire and at the time it expires, I would choose whether or not I continue and with which payment method.

How do you cancel your subscription with the current system?

Cheers,

D.

Hopefully @beka will pick up on this and be in touch.

Having the option open may not be possible, maybe cancelling at your next renewal is the only route through this.

Best of luck.

Tidal do the same thing… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I was able to turn off “auto-renewal” in my account 10 months ago; since then it says that my Roon subscription will end on October 31 and I will lose my access.

1 Like

1 Like

A bit of an update on this. You can cancel your subscription

“On December 16, 2023, your Roon subscription will end and you will lose access to Roon.”

But… You cannot remove your payment mean although I paid yearly.

I guess I will have to wait until mid December to be able to remove the credit card.

G.

1 Like

I guess that is dependent on whether Roon completely closes your account — by which I mean your Roon account, not your Roon subscription — and as part of that process informs Stripe to remove any card details linked to your Roon account.

I’d hazard a guess that Roon keeps your account active, unless you explicitly ask them to remove your details, in the hope that you want to resubscribe at some point. Hence your card details would also remain on file at Stripe, linked back to your Roon account.

I can see why Roon would prefer you to keep a payment method on file, as it undoubtable increases automatic renewals and even in the case of lifetime members allows them to sell gift codes without having to check for payment again.

But I am with you. In that while I can also see the clear advantages to users of having a card on file so that subscriptions can seamlessly auto-renew as the default behaviour. I’d at least like to have the option not to have my card on file and instead re-enter one afresh, should I want to re-subscribe or, as a lifetime member, purchase gift codes.

I saw you have an amex on file w/ Stripe. I removed it.

If you want to renew, you will need to enter a new card.

You can cancel your subscription. You won’t get charged again, but get to keep the rest of your paid subscription.

Just for full transparency, this is not true of the trial. Canceling your trial will result in losing access to Roon immedately.

2 Likes

I demo’ed Roon to a friend, outfitted him with a ROCK NUC and a few files on an external drive as well as a trial Qobuz account.
Looking forward to trying Roon out during the weekends, we figured it’d be best to cancel the Trial as we (i, that is) didn’t want to forget.

We were surprised to learn that the trial was cancelled… Immediately!
Can his trial be reanimated somehow?
I’ll ping @beka as i think she is an account black belt!
DM me for account details!

Roon is shady & asking for and will have a class action lawsuit. They have no legal right to hold onto your credit card information if you don’t have a subscription. I personally tried the Free trial and found within the hour that I was unable to get it to work. Immediately cancelled. I am unable to remove my account and card information. Contacting the Better Business Bureau!! They do not disclose this information to perspective members. Very Very shady business

Hi @Nonya_Beewax,

We appreciate you choosing to share your experience and perspectiva on how Roon handles the personal information you share. It helps us more than you know.

Just in case you might not have seen it, our Privacy Policy includes information on payment details under “2. Our commitment to your privacy”.

If you’d like the payment method removed from your account, please, just let us know. Our team is at your disposal to process that for you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Beka, thank you for your very informative response, very helpful.

2 Likes

Hi @Nonya_Beewax

I’m a Roon user.

In your trial period you have 14 days to trial Roon.

You also have access to the forum, which you clearly found. Did you raise a request for support for the issues you experienced?

The Roon forum community are here to help, while Roon Support get around to your post.

Roon Labs is on BBB.org, and I believe (not a US citizen, so could be wrong) have to pay to be registered with them.

Like most services these days you can sign up to a trial and nearly all ask for a payment method. Nothing shady there.

If you wish for that service provider to not hold onto your payment details after a cancellation, I’m sure a friendly email, message would suffice.

So.

What was the issue that you encountered when trying to get Roon to work. As a user I am happy to help.

You can post back here, or private message me.

Love your user name…very inviting :wink:

Not true you make it impossible to remove your payment information. Be honest!!! It should be a available option to the member. Not jumping through hoops and using the excuse to call. I have tried email spent HOURS on the phone waiting transfered waiting. Still have not removed credit card information.

Hi @Nonya_Beewax,

I appreciate you letting us know that your preference would be for the option to remove the payment method from your account page. For now, a simple request to our team via email, our contact form or here, on community, is enough to have that done.

I would like to confirm that the payment method associated with the account you have contacted us from has been removed. We have received your email as well and our team has had a chance to reply to it with a slight delay. Apologies about that.

As a side note, Roon does not offer phone support at this time. If you are in touch with someone over the phone, please note, it is not a Roon employee.

2 Likes

Thank you for your & attention to my issue. I will check and verify

1 Like