How to set default USB sample rate on ROCK when ROON is idle

Hi experts,

the sample rate sent over USB to my DAC from an Intel NUC PC with the “ROCK” operating system running the “ROON Server Software” defaults to 768 khz when ROON is idle. Only when I play a track with a certain sample rate that rate is sent to the DAC.

I want to change the default sample rate to equal or less than 192 khz. Please don’t get me wrong. Changing the maximum sample rate in ROONs advanced device settings does not help. I am facing a situation where ROON is idle and the connection from DAC to ROCK is initialised.

Thanks for your ideas.

My DAC behaves the same way. However, I think this is not related to Roon, but to the DAC: mine always starts with the maximum sample rate and switches to another value only when it receives an audio signal. It does this even when I disconnect the USB cable, so it has nothing to do with Roon.

From RME forums I got the information that when USB is connected to the DAC then USB dictates the one and only sample rate of the DAC. The DAC does not default to 768 kHz. But some external hardware/software does, always using/setting the max sample rate as default.

Seem this is true in my case and if I got a chance to change the behaviour on ROONs side I would appreciate this.

Kind Regards
Ralf

I have RME ADI-2 DAC FS and the behavior is as described in my previous post.
If you also have RME, then it is very easy to try: close RME, disconnect the USB cable, start RME and then see what sample rate it shows on the display.

Hi Daniel,

I indeed have RME too. Please let me point you to the corresponding post in their forums:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=195054#p195054.

I can confirm that the unit (ADI 2/4 Pro SE) remembers the last sample rate. I tested this by setting the sample rate to 96 khz, then switching off the DAC, then plugging out USB and finally switching the DAC back on. The sample rate was 96 khz.

Hi Daniel,
some good news from the RME forum:

“If you change your ADI-2/4 to Multichannel mode the highest sample rate is 192 kHz.”

This works for me.

Kind Regards
Ralf

Yes, that’s good news.
But I have a question: why is the sample rate value when Roon is idle important to you?

Hi Daniel,

the ADI-2/4 has analog inputs which I use to play vinyl records in the so called RIAA mode. RIAA mode is unique to ADI-2/4 and its sample rate is limited to 192 khz.

Earlier I had an ADI-2 FS. This one does not have analog inputs. I used it in the last 18 month and never felt the need to switch the sample rate while ROON is idle. So may I ask out of curiosity you as an owner of the ADI-2 FS why do you have an interest in this topic?

Kind Regards
Ralf

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.