How to skip Windows setup and install Linux on new NUC? (ref#0T4K5Y)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I need help with something else

How can we help?

How do I ...?

I just took a new NUC out of the box. it started walking me through the windows set up. Im wondering how to skip that and install Linux. also which distro of linux should i use?

Moved to the Linux category.

You can just use Windows. There isn’t any SQ benefit to using Linux over Windows. But, if you want to use Linux, I would use the LTS server command line only version of Ubuntu.

To install Linux, see this: How to Install Linux on Intel NUC

What is your goal? If you got the NUC only for running Roon Server, you can install Roon ROCK: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/rock-install-guide

Just boot from USB with a Linux installer present on the USB stick. I recommend Roon Rock, if you’ll only run Roon. And since you have to ask how to install it, I’m guessing you’re not yet a huge linux geek, so this is the route I recommend you to go on if you want more music enjoyment and less tinkering enjoyment… :slight_smile: (or frustration…)

If you must have a separate distro (because you want to run other things and/or enjoy tinkering), use Debian Stable or Ubuntu Server LTS with the unattended-upgrades package installed. Fedora Server is also rock solid and a good alternative when you lean toward a different flavour.

As per @Michael_Cox1

If you only want to run Roon on the NUC, the Roon Rock.

Zzoom_zoom

Since you didn’t list the model number of the NUC, please keep in mind that Roon only officially supports NUCs running ROCK that are on the officially supported hardware list. If your NUC is not, then you would be running ROCK in an unsupported environment and seeking support in the Tinkering section.

However, running RoonServer on Linux or Windows, would be supported, so you don’t have to worry if you use those OSes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.