How to tag mix compilations?

From here

Which totally doesn’t make sense at all. DJ mixing doesn’t happen on a single track level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_mix

You suggested a performer credit tag (Mix-DJ) being used for a production role (Remix).

So why do you then suggest a credit role that was never performed by anyone on your example album?
I can’t see anything wrong with the particular credit roles as found on the AllMusic page I linked.

But he could. But who would buy them? That’s my point.
Mixing and remixing are basically the same task but remixing obviously happens at some point in time after the original mixing. For EDM it mainly consist of one or more individuals staring at a computer screen where a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) software is open showing the various tracks that when played back simultaneously make-up “the song” while doing changes to parts here and there. If they don’t wear headphones then a potential audience would occasionally hear some short burst of musical notes (often nothing that would allow them to recognize anything in particular). I don’t know how much time on average (EDM) remixers spend on remixing a song, but just sitting there and watching them staring at the screen for a considerable amount of time is nothing I would look forward to or see as performing art. This has nothing to do with DJs mixing live (or in a studio for recording).

This is already given if an album can be identified and has the necessary credit tags populated (Mixing vs. Remixing vs. Mix-DJ as far as I can collect it from examples given in this thread). If tags are missing or are plain wrong then this is an issue with the metadata provider or metadata hygiene in general.

While I can see a point in this statement for various cases, I don’t see how it can be so hard, looking at the examples and references given in this thread, to see the difference between a performing DJ on stage and a Remixer at his desk staring at a computer screen. Seems to be clearly distinguishable and therefore easy to apply consistently to me.

This is the heart of the matter for me. It’s just a tautology to say that if all the necessary credit tags are populated then what I want is a “given”. That is the point of the thread. What to do when that is not the case? You also seem to be fixated on whether mixers meet some “performance art” criteria. Good for you, that sounds like it is important to you. But we are really talking across each other. To be clear my primary interest is in whether the mixers meet some “compositional” not “performance” criteria.

I have said repeatedly that in general I don’t re-tag pop mix compilations. That’s not because I agree with roon’s tagging in all cases, it’s just that the way I listen to that music re-tagging that material is nothing that benefits me. I am sure that others have a different view. However, I do listen to a lot of modern Classical music which also has a concept of electronic, digital and tape mixing both at a performance and compositional levels. My experience is that this type of music is very thinly tagged or there can be confusing production credits where there should be composer and/or performer credits. In the future I will certainly use what I have learnt about roon mixing credit roles to manually tag this sort of material in a more consistent way.

1 Like

What/how much is some? IMO, also after reviewing the linked wikipedia article again, the term remix itself already implies artistic/compositional liberties for the remixer – how else could he do his job of remixing the original to create something new/fresh? What could/would/should a new mix without that liberty be?

A remaster?

Digital Remastering
Digital Remastering Assistant
Digital Remastering Engineer
Digital Remastering Supervisor
Pre-Remastering
Preliminary Remastering
Reissue Digital Remastering
Reissue Remastering
Remastering	
Remastered By
Remastering Art Direction
Remastering Assistant
Remastering Audio Restoration
Remastering Consultant
Remastering Coordination
Remastering Engineer
Remastering Executive
Remastering Graphics
Remastering Producer
Remastering Supervisor

A different/new media master?

Cassette Mastering
Compilation Mastering
Digital Mastering
Dolby Remixing
Soundtrack Mixing

So as I see it, remix is what you want to use to distinguish artistic/compositional mixing from the common mixing and mastering in cases where you have to tag yourself.
I would restrict the use of performer credits to cases where they actually happened (means: don’t use Mix-DJ to emphasize especially creative remixes) because they will get mixed-up with the cases where those same performer credits get rightfully used to indicate the actual performance. How do you distinguish them later on? Will you remember all the special cases you created later on when in doubt while examining credits?

Thanks, but those mastering credits are “production” credits, not “composer” credits. You have cut off their attributes in your screen shot.

Personally I have absolutely no interest in production credits so I have no idea what I would use them for. I do not use roon from a production perspective but one of the founders comes from a studio background so no doubt there are those for which it is important.

As far as navigating artists is concerned, roon behaviour is very different depending on whether the artists have performer, composer or production credits. There are no real enforceable industry standards so to me this doesn’t need to be overly complicated or require appeals to abstract definitions no one can enforce. All that really matters is best practice, what you may have to change to get roon to behave as you like.

Roon has always had the option to add an “arranger” credit if you thought the artistic input warranted it and you wanted to be able to interact with that artists material via roon’s composition display logic. But it turns out that roon has 195 roles that it will treat as a composer. With certain genres “arranger” wouldn’t be a common attribute. A hip-hop remix for example. But you might consider “remix arranger” which roon will treat as a composer rather than a production role. There are only a few “remix” composer roles so there is not a lot of confusing choice, which is probably a good thing.

I just noticed how you can make compilations by artists appear on their overview page, without needing to list them as “primary artist”, which of course would be wrong and also messes up your listening stats.

Roon seems not to value “Compilation producer” or “Mix-DJ” as a major involvement, if tagged as such, the compilations only appear on the discography page of said DJ under “Compilations” and not on the overview … but if you actually tag the compilation artist/DJ as “DJ”, then it works, exactly the way I would want it.

If tagged as “Primary Artist”, albums appear under “Albums in my library”, but if I tag as “DJ”, a mix they appear under “Appearances”: