How to turn off an RPI cleanly?

Hi guys, where there is no way to shutdown safely by commands, one thing that may help is shutting down your Roon Core first, so there’s a disconnect between Roon Core and Endpoint.

Then wait maybe 30 seconds and then yank the power cable from the Pi.

My thinking is that it may (or not) be safer to yank the power cable when the Pi is in a state of doing nearly nothing, compared to yanking the cable when it’s still receiving music from the Roon Core.

There’s still a chance for data corruption of course, but maybe less chance? This is what I’ve been doing with my HiFiBerry with their Roon Image. It feels less violent LOL

There are developers reading this that will correct me if this is a useless tip - please don’t hesitate to correct me so I can learn something too :slight_smile:

I doubt that shutting down the server makes a difference. RoonBridge is still running and writing to its log file.
In case of dietpi, the log is located on the Ramdisk (if I am not mistaken here), That means there is no write process on the sd-card by this. So chances of corrupting the filesystem by this process are lower.

If the power switch is that important, I’d install a different base image, and pick one that can be accessed by ssh and get one of those DIY power switches.

But I also just pull the power cord. Never had data corruption, even though I powered the pi down while it was still playing music. In case it’ll ever happen, I just reflash the image. This will probably take less time, compared to adding up every single RoonServer shutdown (especially on a headless core). :wink:

2 Likes

I just created a new Raspberry-Pi based player. I picked the Audiophonics RaspTouch, which also features a power button. The audio board is still missing, as I’d like to try the Allo DigiOne board.
I’ll share this as an example how a power button could be used to turn the Pi on and off. The ATX board and the button can also be ordered separately without the whole case.

2 Likes