How to use Naim Muso QB Gen1

Hello,

I recently acquired a gen 1 QB and have read it to be Roon tested but not natively supported. Is there a way I can send music to this via Roon? Or is it airplay via Spotify/tidal etc

Thanks

@Charlie_Thomas, there are a few options, but as you note, none are nativelyRoon Ready on the Mu-so. AirPlay is one, as well as using a Roon Ready network streamer connected to either the Mu-so’s optical or analog port. This could be a streamer such as a Raspberry Pi4 using Roon Bridge, or a commercial streamer such as a Bluesound Node (and there are many more options).

Thanks for the reply! That’s not the best news :confused:
I have an NAD c658 in the next room, but not really wanting to run a cable to it. I will have a MBP next to the speaker, so I guess I could run an audio cable to it, but the laptop has to be “awake” anytime I want to stream to it, correct?

Yes, the MBP needs to be awake, but you could run Roon Bridge on it (I have done this with some laptops I have used as a Remote or remote connection). You could get a simple USB to TOSLINK DAC, or a USB DAC with an analog out, and control the Mu-so as a Roon Ready device with the MBP fully native to Roon.

Most users just use Roons AirPlay capability to the gen1 muso. Some also use a UPnP bridge which allows Roon to see the Muso as squeezebox player that Roon will see and can play to up to 192/24 over the network. Number of ways to run it. Ropieee XL has it built in but requires a raspberry pi to run it or you can use it on a desktop but does require some knowledge to get up and running.

I bought a raspberry pi and installed LMS-to-upnp on it. It works great with the muso-QB gen1.
I followed this article.

I enjoyed learning Linux commands but you do need a bit of a tech background when things don’t go quite right.

An alternative is to buy a sonore upnp bridge. It requires no tech knowledge and just works. I have one for my NDS and never had an issue.

As others have said, a Raspberry Pi is the most cost effective approach with the Gen 1 Musos. That how mine is setup and it’s rock solid, I use RoPieee as the OS for the Pi and connect with an optical digital cable utilizing a HiFi-Berry HAT.