HPQe NAA UP Gateway, Atom

At least many poly-sinc filters work up to 768k on it.

Since I use it primarily for NAA, I have not done benchmarking on it recently.

I have also the next generation UP-Board and I’m planning to do benchmarking on it also with upsampling algorithms. As Atom CPUs have been improving over time. So far Intel Joule was most powerful Atom device I’ve used, and one of the smallest. It could do DSD256 with ASDM7 modulator.

1 Like

Would the UP-Board and similar recommendations for mini-PC’s, perform better than a SOtM SMS-200 as NAA’s?

Thanks

There’s no simple answer to that. If you’d like to run at 1.5M PCM or DSD1024, likely yes. And depends on what kind of PSU you are using, and the overall system.

Thanks for the reply.

I have Small Green Computer power supplies and an HDPlex 300W power supply for DC voltage components, I have noticed on the SOtM that when using HQP desktop to up-sample to DSD512 / PCM768 there are very low level crackling noises that don’t exist if I use a spare laptop as a NAA endpoint, thus my question about the UP-Board.
Cheers

Usually such low level noises that sound like tiny dust particles on vinyl are due to lost or corrupted USB packets.

If replacing a NAA with some other hardware makes the issue go away, points towards the NAA or it’s network connection.

In such cases it is also important to take a look at the network setup to make sure that some important features are functional. Such as 802.3x Flow Control and 802.1p CoS/QoS.

@jussi_laako one more question - When I order the UP Gateway does it need to have some OS/software preinstalled. Or can I just order the UP Gateway and an Etched USB stick and that would be all that I need to setup HQPlayer NAA?

Also want to confirm that I will be using Mac OS that will have the actual HQPlayer that will do the upsampling. Since the NAA is network based, I am assuming it does not matter what is the OS of the actual HQPlayer that does the upsampling?

Also, what is your preferred board purely for NAA?

Thanks.

Yes, the NAA image is self-contained with a custom OS. You just boot it up and that’s it.

Yes, that’s correct.

It is primarily just for NAA functionality. Although it can run some PCM-to-PCM upsampling as well. But it is pretty limited in terms of CPU power, intentionally.

1 Like

It has been said before but I want to confirm it once more, the UP gateway is capable to do DSD512 playback, correct? I am using Mac Book Pro for now so technically I am doing DoP 512 straight out of MBP.

With my Holo Springs, as a NAA, it works up to 1.5M PCM and DSD1024.

Through MacBook’s USB? DSD512 through DoP exceeds USB Audio Class standard and macOS doesn’t allow it.

2 Likes

Interesting here is the HQPlayer config on my MBP

I have a Holo May Dac it displays this -

When I downgrade my HQP setting it does go to DSD256X. I thought that Mac OS could not do DSD native and only DoP.

What is your output device setup?

OK, maybe it is different than my Intel based 27" iMac (i9-9900K CPU) with my Springs, which cannot do because it needs 1.4M PCM support that only works at max 16-bit (while DoP requires at least 24-bit).

This is my full setup configuration

OK, good to know DSD512 works through this! Is it M1 CPU MacBook Pro? Or Intel one?

Tried both on intel i9 and m1. DSD512 worked on both. Dsd1024 of course does not work.

When you open Audio MIDI what PCM max sample rate does it show for the Holo DAC?

There’s usually a list

Can you share a screenshot?

It will show up to 1.5M. But for example with my Springs, these highest work only at max 16-bit. Since otherwise there’s part of the data lost in transmit resulting in clearly distorted audio (and DoP doesn’t work).

If his is supporting DoP 512 then it must show 24-bit 1.5MHz in his Audio MIDI?

If it doesn’t then I wonder how DoP 512 can work

First I’ve read about this with macOS

This is what it shows on my MIDI setup

And this is my mac details

If you select 1500Mhz, it still shows “32-bit” ?

Yup, it’s still 32 bits.

1 Like