HPQe NAA UP Gateway, Atom

I have two of those working fine.

One previously running Embedded fine but now both running NAA.

Hopefully you can swap it for another because it is a great NAA

2 Likes

Is it an upgrade over an RPi, in capabilities or SQ? As a NAA

Same here, 2 of them working flawlessly, but TBH I just plugged in the USB microSD holder for the NAA image, connected Ethernet and USB for DAC, and that was it, never connected them to a monitor so who knows, they may be shouting into the void about a failing USB port :scream:

1 Like

My UP’s consume less power in both idle and in use, so that’s an advantage to me.

But I recently got a POE+ HAT for my RPi4 after I saw @Chunhao_Lee 's post in my other thread.

It’s really cool sending both power + DSD512 over a single normal Cat 6 UTP cable - so RPi4 has a really cool advantage there.

1 Like

And you still use it as NAA too? The POE hat on the Rpi

Up board’s PoE option is a bit cumbersome. Have to use another short RJ45 patch cable for data between HAT and main board. :thinking: So I just skipped. :rofl:

1 Like

Yeh previous post is comparing both as NAA

The POE hat just allows you to send NAA data and power to the Pi4 over single bog standard Cat 6 cable

Very cool. I like the simplicity

1 Like

Found a cheap case that works

1 Like

Looks nice!

1 Like

I bought mine locally but this eBay seller ships globally.

In the case SoC core temp is about ~65 deg C streaming DSD512 on lowest fan speed (quietest).

1 Like

I bought the POE+ HAT on visiting my dad because his WiFi struggles with DSD512 with an RPi4.

So when everyone is asleep and he wants to use headphones he can pull out this little stack (double sided taped together) and stream DSD512 without issues.

Its a 10m ultra thin Cat 6 UTP cable that goes from TV furniture to the coucb - very light and flexible cable carrying both DSD512 and power for the Pi and the DAC/Amp

When not listening it all just hides TV furniture cupboard

2 Likes

Adding heatsinks help keep the fan running at slowest speed.

5mm max height heatsinks is ok to avoid clash with POE+ HAT.

I kinda like this little beauty. :heart_eyes: But there is a few things what I consider to be design flaws, I think that an all metal casing is important to keep as much radio interference out as possible. and when slots or openings is necessary, it should be covered by a fine aluminium mesh or similar for extended protection from rfi reaching the circuitry. I know there is a balance when it comes to dispose of excessive heat and fan speeds. When using the POE för supplying the device, are you using a switch-mode POE-injector or an analogue linear? It would be interesting to try this on … thanks for the tip!

If a metal fanless case comes for this the Pi + POE+ hat, I will definitely buy

But i can’t find yet so for now this has to do.

But I’m sure a fanless metal case will come !

1 Like

For NAA purposes, I’ve been using just heatsinks on RPi4 without fan. Built into black HifiBerry steel case. I actually have various different ones with different hats too.

1 Like

I’ve also used Pi4 with only heatsink for NAA but same won’t work with addition of POE+ hat. Temp goes over 70deg C

I love this idea! :+1: :+1: :star_struck:

1 Like

This one is fanless and lower profile which may fit normal fanless cases.

Supports over 2A power so easily enough to even power a bus powered USB DAC

I’ll give it a try and report back.

I should also make a new thread

1 Like

Just an fyi that up-shop completed a motherboard exchange and it is now fixed. QA issues on their production line. At least they covered shipping both ways.

1 Like