HQ Player dongle activation help needed

I just got my HQ Player dongle and loaded up the new key XML emailed to me but it says I’m running a trial version still. I also tried removing the present key and reloading the xml and rebooting several times but no luck. What am I doing wrong?

Does the dongle appear on the /about page of HQPlayer Embedded web interface? So 16-character hexadecimal id instead of the traditional hardware fingerprint that ends in ‘==’?

It ends in ==. I went back to the original computer I was using and booted embedded from a USB with the dongle inserted, then went to the web configuration page and uploaded the new xml you sent and it says it’s a valid license. Then I shut it down and went to the new computer with the dongle and did the same thing and it says trial.

Back on the original computer, when I boot with the dongle in it says licensed to me. When i remove dongle and reboot, it says trial. When I insert again and reboot it says licensed to me again.

So the dongle works on my pc but not on my Raspberry Pi, on which I also boot 5.2.0 embedded but from an SD card. There it never changes from trial.

Ahh, OK, on RPi4. This is a problem I’m working on with the dongle vendor. There is some issue on RPi with the newer 6.x Linux kernels and dongles. The code dealing with the dongle is coming from them.

Things work fine on HQPlayer OS on x64, but not on RPi.

I wish you’d told me that before I bought the dongle. Any idea of when it might work?

I have some things from them that I need to test, so in best case it could be soon.

That’s good. In the meantime can I move my current pc license to my rpi since I can’t use the dongle? Also I have an rpi 5 coming soon (hopefully). Will that be supported?

RPi5 will be supported by HQPlayer OS when all the needed supporting software infra is available.

HQPlayer itself should already run just fine on RPi5.

Is there a way to make the hqplayer embedded not need a password?

No, you need a login password for some of the pages that involve configuration. Is password a problem? You can usually make browser remember it for you. And the browser will anyway ask it only once as long as it is running.

My fingerprinted key works, but my premium USB key doesn’t. Jussi needs to spend less time trying to protect his intellectual property and more time making his software user friendly.

This is ridiculous; I’ve bounced the USB key charge to my credit card company.

Buyer beware.

Hi, Jussi
I am unable to validate my 5.2.0 Embedded on the sT. Its the key I received with my purchase. Tried several times and it keeps coming back trial with the fingerprint ending y64Iw==. I am wondering if this is part of the same dongle issue spoken of here?

Thank you,

You didn’t respond to my email where I asked if you installed the associated key file as well? The key file was emailed to you at the time when the dongle shipped. Otherwise the dongle just get’s recognised, but without associated license key resulting in trial mode.

I guess this has been solved already?

And AFAIK, you have not ordered the optional dongle which is mostly useful if you intend to change your HQPlayer server hardware regularly. Otherwise the hardware fingerprint based key file should be fine.

Yes, my issue has been completely resolved!

Thank you again Jussi for your continued support!

Cheers,

1 Like

Jesus, it went to spam, sorry.

If you move the dongle to a new computer you have to re-load the key again via the web interface.

Key file needs to be installed on each machine where the dongle is used. Of course once installed, it stays there until something else is uploaded. So you don’t need to re-upload it every time you move the dongle.

Dongle itself just replaces the computed hardware fingerprint with a physical USB hardware device.