HQ Player DSD file not playing well

Hi everyone,

I’m currently playing with the trial version of HQplayer and am blown away by the increased SQ even on a modest setup [NUC (hqplayerembedded / Roon core) → RPI (NAA via Ropieee) → Audioquest DragonFly Cobalt].

However, I have issues when playing DSD files. It’s working albeit with a pause every 4-5 secs which makes the music inaudible. The processors on the NUC go to 380% (am assuming that’s 3 core at 100% and 1 at 80%) so it might be an issue with the processing power (i3 Intel(R) Core™ i3-10110U CPU @ 2.10GHz)

Any hint in what I should be changing on the parameters?

Many thanks,
Julien

Try with ASDM5 modulator that is lighter on cpu

… Dragonfly Cobalt can do 24/96 max, no DSD capability as I can read from the specs …

same issue with ASDM5.
Agree the DAC doesn’t support DSD but I would expect HQPlayer to downsample accordingly to the DAC as Roon does, unless am being naive?

If you configure HQP to upsample to DSD it will do it without any further downsample … just configure it to output to PCM

mmm I now think that it’s the upsampling of DSD files that is causing the issue and currently struggling to find out on how to prevent that within the settings page I have.

If the dac is PCM only you must select PCM in Output mode, and if it can do 24/96 select 96000 in Rate limit in PCM section