HQ player on QNAP TS-473A

QNAP TS-473A-8G AMD Ryzen quad-core 2.2 GHz 2.5GbE, Running QNAPs own proprietary Linux based OS

Hello everyone hope you are all well.

My system endpoint system details: Setup 1: blue sound node, Rme DAC fs (connected by optical cable) , into AV amp.
Office: Microsoft surface Table, Chord. Mojo 2.

I would like to try adding HQ player to my Nas server. My Nas Roon server has a video card for use of any additional audio processing. I am unsure if this server has sufficient CPU processing power to make significant audible improvement but I am keen to try it out using the free trial.

I don’t understand how to proceed further and there is limited YouTube videos available on this topic.

I would be grateful for some support.

Moved to #audio-gear-talk:hq-player.

What kind of OS your server is running? What kind of CPU does it have?

@jussi_laako, I believe these are the specs for @Tariq_Aziz’s NAS:

TS-464 | Bye-bye Gigabit NAS, hello 2.5GbE NAS. | QNAP (US)

QNAP OS and Celeron 5905 quad core/quad thread CPU, either 4 GB or 8 GB RAM.

Hi I am sorry I made a mistake on my model number for my NAS and have updated my post and added the specs and OS information.

I think that HQ player server maybe embedded within the Roon software as the HQ player shows up as a device within the audio tab on the Roon control software

@Tariq_Aziz, do you you which model number you have, is it the 873A, the 673A, or the 473A?

QNap Ts-473A, the 4 mean that this Nas has 4 HD bays.

1 Like

I think it will be very difficult to install HQPlayer on such device. So it would be better to run HQPlayer elsewhere, where you can run it under one of the supported Linux distributions (or Windows or macOS). Or run just plain HQPlayer OS.

What you can do:

• Install a Debian (will destroy all current saved files, settings,…) on the QNAP
  • Use container station and install the for example an Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian and then here HQPlayer
  • Use Virtualization Station and install here your preferred OS with HQPlayer

In your setup you’ll also need (the QNAP will becomes really loud, while trying HQPlayer) a NAA-Client on another machine.

But: I’ve let run Roon on a QNAP (with an i7 and 16 GB Ram) some years with upsampling (without HQPlayer) until DSD512 for two channels. After trying upsampling to DSD256 with 6-8 channels, I stopped with it, because the QNAP hadn’t enough horse power.
For your NAS, it can be a first identicator, if you connect the QNAP directly through USB with your RME and try upsampling to DSD256 and use together in Muse some convolver.
If this works for all sources without problems, like here:

you can try HQPlayer.

HQPlayer needs for the same upsamplings (depends on the used filter and modulators) a lot of more power and I’m sure, that you’ll not happy with such a solution.

1 Like

Hi Burkhardt Petermann,

Many thanks for your detailed response.

I prefer Option 2 and I will also try the Roon up sampling option.

Maybe HQ player is far more complex than I need for music pleasure.

NAA-Client communication terminology is new to me? What does this mean and why is it important to audio equipment? I am unsure if my equipment is compatible with NAA.

Regards

Tariq