Hq Player settings new user

I am in the process of setting up my New Sonicorbiter I9 with HQP embedded. Looking for good starting points.
Start with Qobuz stream

1. Dsd 256(get intimate, expand learning etc.)
    2. Move to and try dsd 512.

Various redbook cd files.

System:
sgc I9 / roon, hqp embedded / innuous zenith mk3 as NAA / phoenix usb reclocker / holo audio spring 3 kte / seperate preamp.

Thanks!

I run HQPe 5 on an i9 11900 fan-cooled server to support a Holo May. I landed on DSD256, 1x = poly-sinc-gauss-long, Nx = poly-sinc-gauss-lp, modulator = ASDM7EC-super, bit rate = auto, rate limit = 11289600, NAA backend with 48k DSD checked. I should check again, but when I started, same server, I was getting thermal throttling at DSD512.

For Holo May, set the limit to 12288000. Otherwise it will drop to 6.144M rate with 48k-base content if you have auto rate family enabled. Also check that you have Auto rate family enabled, this way it is somewhat less likely that you run into thermal throttling due to conversion between rate families.

Thank you, should have noticed that because I thought I had set it to 12288000 as I have on my other (desktop) HQP 5. BTW, there are two auto rate settings, one a checkbox under “Generic>Options” and the other a “Bit rate” menu under “SDM settings” are these doing different things?

The one under Options that says “Auto rate family”. That will make HQPlayer pick output rate within same family as the source rate.

The one under Bitrate list, where you can select “Auto” or any specific bit rate, just means that you can have rate picked freely as long as it is less or equal than the set limit (max rate). If you specify some rate there, it means the output rate is fixed/constant and won’t change. Fixed rate is particularly useful for devices like Chord, and it avoids having to stop and restart the DAC due to rate changes.

2 Likes