HQP and Soekris 2541 DAC?

Sorry if I was too short in my writing. I think you can try and add in the text file, I can try but later (job has just started), My txt file (from REW) looks like this:

1 Like

That’s the way the oratory file looks like.
Not 100% identical, but close enough I guess. :wink:

1 Like

It is not less precise. It is just different. Convolution makes sense when you have a convolution filter that was designed for convolution process. Such as room/speaker correction filters created with Audiolense or Acourate that contain separate magnitude and phase response corrections.

For example if you use REW, it is natively parametric. And if you export convolution filter from REW, it is just conversion from parametric filter to convolution filter.

Oratory corrections are also natively parametric - in the original PDFs, you can find the actual parametric values you can convert to txt format using REW to input the values to “Generic EQ” and then export it to txt. This will create a slightly different kind of filter than the AutoEq ones.

Note that it is good to have the “Preamp” line included, then you don’t need to manually adjust headroom gain in Matrix.

2 Likes

Thanks, so convolution is “better” if it contains phase response corrections.
As oratory convolution files does not have this, it is of the the same quality to use the PEQ settings from Oratory. So I will move these to (the) Matrix (I always wanted to be able to say this :slight_smile: ).
It is a bit less convenient for me to use it, as I cannnot change different settings from within Roon. I always have to switch to HQP (my listening place it not near my core). But lets see how this goes. Also in Roon I always forget to switch convolution settings and wondering why the headphone sounds so strange today. :rofl:

1 Like

Matrix (same, always wanting to say this) and other settings can be changed on the fly from mobile using HQPDcontrol app

2 Likes

Ah, great!
Good to know.

1 Like

And of course, if you use some computer, or like I do a Microsoft Surface tablet, you can switch profiles from HQPlayer Client:

2 Likes

I would like to come back to this topic, as we have talked about a lot of helpful stuff but not if my settings were a good choice for the Soekris.
PCM is a given I guess, also upsampling to 384 kHz.

Always wonder if I should use LNS15 or LNS9 and what filter: poly-sinc-gauss-highres-lp?

I mostly listen mostly not to Rock, Metal, Blues, Reggae, HipHop. Mostly singer song writer, Jazz classical, soundtracks etc.

Thx.

NS9 is especially suitable for such output rate, but LNS15 works too. But I would use some other filter for 1x rates, unless your source is MP3 or similar.

But first I would move that convolution to HQPlayer side, so that Roon sends bit-perfect audio to HQPlayer.

1 Like

Thx Jussi,
convolution (or EQ) is now done in HQP (there is another thread with a bunch of questions from me about this :slight_smile: ).
So LNS9 is better suited, thx.
For the filter I was in the wrong row of your table in the manual. :see_no_evil:
I will try the poly-sinc-gauss-long or xl or something like this.