HQP embedded with RME DAC and a few questions

I am running 4.35.2 HQP Embedded (running on ubuntu server) which I generally use with my topping D90 DAC, however I have been setting up for my RME ADI-2 fs. See screen shot below.

Should I leave DAC bits blank, and if not, what should I set it too? How are the other settings?

Also, for those with RME DACs, how do you set-up volume control? Do you use Auto family rate on the DAC? What is the best way to control the volume?

@tahsu
Set it at 32 bits, that is what I use and is max what my RME version 2 supports.

@tahsu
I should have read the entire post, sorry. The volume is set well, I use a start-up volume as well, to make sure I don’t suffer a heart attack. I do not know ratio of your amplification, I start at a moderate -50, quiet for my rig and throttles after my mood …
I use auto rate family, as it is better to allow HQP to choose best over-sample ratio. It does not kill SQ, but it will save some PC performance to use a ratio with the source code multiples rather that make it fix 12288000. I use the poor android app in version 4 (green logo), only for the volume remote purpose. Be aware, if you use any streaming service withing HQP, like my Qobuz, the app will not support the streaming management at all, but volume is still working.
If you have the HQP computer in your spot, use HQP Client instead. Cannot say it is good, but it is working. It is in the free downloadable HQP Desktop package and installs in same PC as HQP Embedded. Just install the HQP Client. I have installed Roon on same PC now, and it the best remote according to me. Now for some reason, it sounds equally good. It did not when I erased Roon a year ago, but now, on same PC, it is equal as the HQP propriatery player.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

@tahsu
btw, if your RME is of version 1 or 2, set it as direct DSD in the DAC menu and you will have a big surprise soundwise. Perhaps you already knew, but better a hint extra … :wink:

1 Like

Looks good! You can leave DAC Bits at 0, which in this case will result in 32-bit. But since the output mode is SDM it doesn’t matter anyway.

Thanks @Stefan_Jorma and @jussi_laako for your replies.

The main question is around volume setting, I need to try a few of the options. Roon is set to fixed, and I have tried HQP desktop client to change the volume on content playing from embedded. The easiest way to manage I have found so far is simply to pause the music, adjust the volume on the dac with the volume control on the DAC and then press play again.

Thanks, yes, I already do this! It is also set to 50kHz but I confess I am not sure what difference this makes.

Mine is the AKM DAC as far as I am aware.

Roon and HQP embedded are running on a NUC, squiralled away in a cupboard, so I cannot acces very easily.

Got to be a hefty NUC that runs both Roon and HQPlayer at the settings you are displaying. It is hard work for my PC, with 10 cores and a decent graphics card with a lot of cuda cores.

With access I mean a display and HID devices of choise. This way you can manage HQPe playback using HQP Client. But Roon is much more convenient and offer a lavish UI with far better features of handling. The time I have used and got used to HQP Client, I must admit that at NO occassion have the Client software skipped, stopped, or showing any hazzle. So when playing albums or an artist as a whole, I think the HQP Client is very good. Jumping is … not good. Pitty there is no really good remote controll to the HQPe.

The NUC is Intel NUC12WSHi7 Wallstreet Canyon Tall NUC with i7-1260p cpu. I think it has 16 cores. With the settings below, it seems to be 70% load on two cores. I did decant the whole NUC into a fanless case, but I think it throttled in some circumstances, so I put it back into its original case. It also runs plex, and a few other bits and pieces as well.

ADI-2 should be run in DSD Direct mode and in this mode, there’s no volume control available at the DAC side…

When you set “Device volume” as volume control method in Roon for HQPlayer output, Roon will adjust volume using HQPlayer’s volume control.

1 Like