HQPlayer Android and iOS client - HQPDcontrol

Just found out the answer from the developer of HQPDControl that it does not.

You need to use HQPlayer Client to use HQPlayer’s Qobuz support. For logistical reasons Client is shipped in HQPlayer Desktop installation package, but can be installed separately on Windows and macOS and naturally works the same with HQPlayer Embedded as well.

Thanks @jussi_laako, I know. I just wanted to use HQPDControl to complete the whole setup on the iOS (iPad, iPhone), but apparently it does not.

For third party control software, it is not up to me, it is up to respective developers. Same for example my wish that Roon one day would support HQPlayer auto-discovery so that people don’t need to manually enter HQPlayer’s IP address (which could change if they use DHCP).

HQPlayer Client works fine for example on Intel-based Microsoft Surface tablets running Windows 11. That’s what I use.

1 Like

I just only need to enter the host name where HQPlayer Destop is running, that would work without knowing the IP address.

That only works if you have local network DNS or functional mDNS. Not something to take granted, or that you would know “hostname” of your Windows or Mac computer running HQPlayer Desktop.

HQPlayer has proper auto-discovery protocol used by HQPlayer Client and HQPDcontrol (on Android). But Roon has not implemented it.

There, Roon could just show all the HQPlayer instances it has found on the network, by name. No need to enter anything, not even the name.

Well, as one smaller item, Roon still doesn’t seem to support IPv6 either.

1 Like