HQPlayer - DSD256 (minimum) NAA input streaming DACs thread

Here is a Pi based HAT that supports DSD512.

I might get one to test with Pi4 NAA image. It uses Allo Katana overlay I believe, reading Archimagos review.

Archimago recently measured and it looks good

https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-DAC-Pro-ES9038Q2M-Resolution/dp/B0B2DJZTSF

1 Like

Also supports balanced output via :

https://www.amazon.ca/2-Pack-3-5mm-Stereo-Balanced-Copper/dp/B0B2RKQT27

There are various other Pi HATS that can be NAA streaming DACs but limited in sample rate compared to above.

Other NAA streaming DACs I know of that do minimum DSD256 with NAA input:

T+A SD 3100 HV and SDV 3100 HV

Gustard A26

iFi Neo Stream

1 Like

exaSound s88ā€¦ Can do 8 channels of DSD256 or stereo DSD512. And exaSound s82 can do stereo DSD512.

2 Likes

I have Neo Stream and Neo iDSD. The latter has an iPower Elite and a Mercury usb cable in between. I think itā€™s a pretty good combination as I like to listen with headphones and speakers. I have nothing bad to say about TI/BB, but I donā€™t have much experience with other devices either. Always of course Direct DSD @ 512, and I donā€™t remember ever having any problems with theseā€¦

Nice share. I Have recently put in a Pi based NAA into my MA Mini I Pro 3 and been really enjoying it.
I was thinking of utilising one of my HiFiBerry HAT based PIā€™s to work with my main (already Roon ready Arcam SA30). I assume the HiFi Berry will be of lower quality but should be a good starting point to test it on my amp. so this looks like a good option

Following that Amazon link it appears to be only XLR out, so I can potentially feed it into my CDS50 as that has XLR input, or will they output to RCA as well.
I will investigate more when I have some time

3 Likes

Check out the Archimago review I linked above.

He says ā€œunbalanced through a single 3.5mm output that can also serve as headphone outā€

So a simple 3.5mm to dual RCA adapter/cable will do the trick.

But he only measured the balanced out.

I may get one and measure myself next month.

1 Like

Thanks I have added it to my long list of things to have a look at. I still have a couple of spare Piā€™s so could be a useful little project for when I have other things complete

I have added the review to my Pocket queue thanks

1 Like

Have one coming in a couple weeks.

It uses ā€œallo-katana-dac-audioā€ RPi overlay, which is supported already by NAA OS RPi4 image.

Should also work with my RPi POE card but will test.

2 Likes

Now the two questions are:

1. What is maximum input rate it supports from RPi4?
  2. Can it be switched to External Filter mode? Or are the DAC chip control registers (I2C) accessible from RPi4?

Is a Ropieeee integration on the way?

The only input is from RPi - there is no USB data input.

User manual and product page says DSD512. The USB-C port you see is ext power only if someone wants to power DAC board directly. That is optional. The default is getting power from RPi4 board

It is synchronous clocking too (128FS their engineer confirmed, using the 2x independent oscillators 45MHz and 49MHz)

Their engineer confirmed Ext Filter not currently supported.

But I would imagine feeding DSD256/512 will bypass ESS filter anyway?

Checkout the Archimago review I linked in first post. Also post #9

1 Like

@dabassgoesboomboom
Have you ever managed to play DSD through HQPlayer with the above mentioned DAC HAT?
What else would you have to set for this? I just ordered the DAC from amazon and am currently in the testing phase.
First I tried it with Volumio 3 where it plays me up to DSD265 with no problems. Additionally, I tried installing the networkaudiod service on the Volumio OS, but it only recognizes PCM up to 384kHz.
Then I tried it with the latest HQPlayer Embedded OS (5.1.1.1), again only recognizes PCM up to 384kHz. DAC HAT is used with a Raspberry Pi 4B and as overlay ā€˜allo-katana-dac-audioā€™ is set as described. Streaming is done via Roon to HQPlayer. In HQPlayer the output mode is set to SDM. In Roon only PCM 384 is displayed.
What steps would have to be done to play natively up to DSD512?

1 Like

I found the exact same as you. So with NAA I recommend PCM353/384k

I tried but couldnā€™t figure out why HQP was different to Volumio with DSD

Maybe some special custom kernel patch that never got released to mainline kernel

Ok, bad news. So that means that it is currently not possible to play DSD via HQPlayer with any RPi DAC HAT? Project failedā€¦

Ha I was only referring to Innomaker

I havenā€™t tested every HAT.

I canā€™t recall if DSD128 worked with HQPlayer.

Certainly DSD256 did not

I have measured the Innomaker and it is very good with ā€œjustā€ PCM353kHz input

With balanaced output , as long as amp has minimum 40 kohm input impedance :grinning:

You could end up chasing a DSD256 DAC and end up with worse technical performance than the Innomaker - if you chose the wrong DAC obviously. There are very good ones out there of course.

For the price and compactness and no USB involved, I like the Innomaker a lot.

@jussi_laako
Are you aware of any other overlay that is compatible with DSD?
I had tried with an Aoide DAC which also supports DSD265 and uses the ā€˜RPI-DACā€™ overlay. But even here DSD only worked in Volumio and under NAA only PCM up to 192kHz I think.
DAC II ā€“ Geekworm Wiki

I maybe wrong but it seems youā€™re mixing hat specs and dac chip specs. The dac chip is actually DSD capable but this doesnā€™t mean that the hat is.

Iā€™m not aware of any DSD capable overlayā€¦ DoP may work if the DAC chip is for example one of the new ESS models that have DoP support built-in.