HQPlayer Embedded Discussion [2021-2022]

Definitely less of a problem with classical and jazz but those genres are not immune. Like example below on Qobuz below. But you can’t assume classical jazz is fine. You need to look. Audacity is a pain, you need to first capture.

At least Audirvana makes it easy to see while you play a track.

I would love HQP to have a plot like this. Don’t need the comments like you see from Audirvana on the right, below "Dubious HD recording ". The plot is enough.

An example : Something that could be turned on , on the fly, to analyse 60 passage of my choosing for example. This way it would even work with UAC2 and RME and USBStreamer input sources also.

I think a 60 second passage should be enough to determine if a track is fake. Especially if user can choose the 60 seconds. I would pick the “busy” part of a track, not quiet part.

Maybe even 30 seconds could be enough.

For example the Steven Wilson (his own productions and remasters), David Gilmour and Mark Knopfler I have look pretty much fine.

I don’t think it’s much trouble to launch it for my purchases. I’ve been doing it a lot myself. Nothing to capture, just open the FLAC file from the library.

Challenge is that for streaming sources or audio inputs, you will only know after-the-fact, similar to apodizing analysis. “I should have been using…”

This way works only for easy cases, but then you don’t need the “cut the crap” filter nearly as much if it’s as clean as this one.

This is much better, but human is much better interpreting the difficult cases.

1 Like

MusicScope from the sadly defunct XiVero has been my go-to app for this. It still runs on my Mac, fortunately. Below a run on a recent Bandcamp 96/24 download. The code for the XiVero apps appears to have been made available for free after XiVero closed: XiVero Audio Tools download | SourceForge.net.

This is already the 5th day I’m celebrating music with long awaited HQPlayer 4 Embedded 4.31.0 release!

@jussi_laako my most sincere thanks to you !

I’m running HQPe on fanless NUC box, based on i7-8665U vPro CPU. System performance was impacted by major Roon + HQP releases, back in Feb, and I had to stick with somewhat buggy 4.29.3 if I wanted to continue having EC@256 SDM (let’s call it addiction…)

New 4.31.0 AMD build unleash top performance for my “old CPU” system with multicore="1" setting in hqplayerd.xml. It’s just fantastic ! Now system allows hours and hours of smooth SDM 7ECv2@256 with some popular filters (also for PCM 192/24 sources):

poly-sinc-short-mp
poly-sinc-ext2
poly-sinc-gauss-long
poly-sinc-gauss-hires-mp

PS: Temperatures on one of CPU cores are hitting 100C, but seems it’s precisely on the edge not to go into thermal throttling. Importantly with this new build CPU frequencies are tamed 99% of the time under 3MHz. Amazing. mulicore="auto"is less efficient for this CPU, giving space for MHz, what I assume is a bliss for much newer CPU’s.

PPS: I’ve been so excited in the past few days with almost non-stop playback, am I delirious or 4.31.0 actually sounds better ?

3 Likes

:fried_egg: Pushing that high of temps will most likely shorten the life span of that poor little nuc…

Has anybody ever seen CPU malfunction due to staying within the thermal boundaries? Since exceeding those will run into thermal throttling (hardware self-protection).

Those temps are not motherboard temps which would shorten lifespan on electrolytic capacitors.

I’m torturing all my machines all the time, I don’t even look at temps. And I have never got single CPU fail because of temperatures… HQPlayer is not even particularly heavy workload compared to lot of other software, such as pretty much any remotely recent computer game…

3 Likes

Hi, can anyone advise the process to get the licence fingerprint changed to new hardware, I don’t seem to be getting any luck mailing Signalyst. Thanks

That’s the right way, you just have to have a little patience

Does it usually take more than 4 days? Thanks

Consider working days, not elapsed

Jussi already commented, this is less likely a problem since it stays within its specs.

But I certainly agree with “poor little nuc” sentiment, it is!!! hahaha :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very true, it will most likely be fine. But I’m usually captain overkill and then I start thinking… hmm, :thinking: what if… And then there goes a day of tinkering and I’d up with a nuc that looks like it has a blower from a funny car sticking out of the hood. Lol. Then I move on to something else. :crazy_face:

Thank Roon for roon remote and Jussi for NAA. Because of them I don’t need a small silent PC.

Hmm, what’s energy star? :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Don’t now where to fins root cause, but I experience stability issues. It started with the so called closer match update between Roon and HQP. Almost att the same time I installed the Matrix USB card, so a while I thought the card’s playing tricks with me, but after the same issues was present also with inboard USB ports my thoughts are there is something lese. But what? There are channel drops, complete playback stops, the ever present clicks between tracks of different source material, BUT remains the same even if I set ONE definite output sample rate, so it shouold not be the DAC conversion (DSD Direct). I have to restart HQP or Roon or both. Differs from time to time.
This is getting highly annoying now. Today I received a Roon update and thought, “perhaps …”, but no. It stopped dead four tracks into black album, First restart of HQPe, did not fix it, and restart of Roon ROCK it was in business again.
I am not writing this to blame anyone, but lately, the stability issue is bothering me in my st-up. It makes me sad, cuz when in operation, it is best ever. Is there anyone, who can think loud and give me both sane and insane tips and tricks. I have tested most insane now, my speciality, so the sane is highly appreciated … I guess it is some pilot error, but can’t figure it out miself … Anyone else have same problems? Erratic drops and stops with no apparent reason?

Running HQPlayer Embedded (in UPNP mode with Minimserver, not using Roon) without any issue here, hence I should think about a Roon issue or a Roon/HQPe integration issue

On latest HQPlayer Embedded, edit /etc/default/hqplayerd and add

HQPLAYER_RAW_DIRECT=0

Then restart the service with “systemctl restart hqplayerd”

This makes it behave same way as latest Desktop release. Let me know if it helps for you.

This shouldn’t be necessary. But for some people it was happening on macOS. Never heard anybody having the issue on Linux. But worth trying.

@jussi_laako I have picked this from “parallel” topic.

Can you tell us more about FIR2 ? what was your intended design idea for this ?

My current “SDM → SDM” setting is IIR+Xfi+7ECv2@256x48, this combination is fantastic (well, this you know), and I suppose it has formed a habbitual pattern. As I certainly tried FIR2, but to say “better” or “worse” I can currently not, to be frank, so rolled back to IIR. But after this remark of yours I’ve set it back to FIR2 to give another try, now with more curiosity.

IIR behaves more like a mixed-signal implementation would. It is more typical for modulators.

FIR2 is designed to be very similar to IIR in terms of bandwidth response, but it has totally phase linear behavior and it also has improved transient response. But these differences are very small, so likely you won’t notice any big differences.

2 Likes

A-ha! Muchas gracias! SACD party tonight ! Hehe, let’s see how strong my bias is after such an introduction. :slight_smile: Let’s take for starters: Talk Talk, Jeff Buckley, The Police, Dead Can Dance…

I hear a difference indeed for the better converting all to DSD 256 and 512!

Thanks, Jussi!

Anyone here using Amanero combo384 and is able to perfectly play DSD with matrix pipeline enabled?
Would you mind telling me which firmware your Amanero is loaded with? :smiling_face_with_tear: