HQPlayer Embedded Discussion [2021-2022]

I use networkaudiod v4.24 for macOS for input / output. But the screenshot was playing DXD file directly from the HQPe. No NAA input involved.

Seems like it is problem related to DoP and the new rate feedback feature. This won’t appear on older NAA versions without the feature. I have fixed it now for the next release.

1 Like

Hi guys. I am thinking of abandoning Roon. What do you think about Volumio? Possible to integrate in HQPlayer Embedded? Pro’s? Con’s?

Happy to hear any thoughts in any direction.

Ok, that is a reply too 
 :slight_smile: 
 Not one single reply to the question, what about Volumio 
 :smiley: 

Now, is it possible to play or connect Qobuz from inside HQPlayer Embedded? Or can I play Qobuz desktop app to HQPe in any way? I know I can define my NAS contant inside HQPe, so that will not be a problem, but if skipping Roon, can I still use the fabulous HQPe which has become a must.

Can’t help with the Volumio integration but this thread will answer a few of your questions:

1 Like

Yes, for that, you need to install “HQPlayer Client” component from HQPlayer Desktop installation package. On some device on your network (Windows, macOS or Linux). No separate license needed for that, it is covered by the Embedded or Desktop license.

How I just not love that there is absolutely no intuitive possibility to succeed in configuring anything with HQPlayer just by opening and look in the UI as there is with almost any other software :smiley:
The remote control HQPDcontrol is 
 i don’t know 
 I am probably just to f***ng stupid to even be here 

The HQPlayer Client is 
 eh 
 non-intuitive, I don’t even know if I succeeded to mount my NAS or if I was on the right plane 
 sorry 
 page.
I went to HQPe UI to see if I had what it takes to figure things out. I failed already when trying to mount network drives. I have one (1) NAS. I specified the path, user and password, no success even though the the page responded “success” when I hit the button apply. Then I tried the IP address, user and password. Hit the button apply, “SUCCESS”, but no, no success. Looking in the upper right corner on the network mount page with the hope there was a help link, but no, nothing like the help link on config page. As the fields are blanked out, I have no clue what the heck I am doing wrong. The TV monitor in the multimedia room says, trying the mount, but with failure -13. If that corresponds to user or password not filled, I don’t know, because I have written it, and taken good care of upper case issues among others.
I have even tried mounting the URL to Quboz and no success.
There is a good reason why I should keep Roon, but I hate it! Why is it so hard, to use nomenclature and procedures like other products to the consumer market? I got yesterday a TV-box from my operator. It took me this morning, while drinking my first cup of coffee, just 5 minutes from connection of hardware 'til up and running and the major part was the automatic processes inside the machine to self-configure and download update latest SW-fixes. I only tapped in codes to my account. Hear that, it auto-updates! Not that I always want that this by auto-pilote, but think about just having the option to check auto or manual update?
Now I am soon back on planet earth surface, after orbiting for a good while. Is there any kind soul out there who can step-by-step, teach me, or refer me to a place where it at least should exist a step-by-step description how to mount a NAS, connect to a streaming service, make the HQPDcontrol work? Please. And not just go to page and fill in, define what to fill in, what does the software require? IP address? network path? I can’t find any info. Not good enough and definitely not for Embedded HQP. I am having trouble understanding the manual for HQP Client, but that I managed to get going at least from the manual. The remote control SW in my phone did not work though, off course 

Does it have to be this 
 strange 
 or am I stupid? At least I am the most persistent to figure out things among my friends here where I live, 'cuz everyone turning to me with there questions, so I cannot be alone?

Now I am going to make some more coffee, turn on Roon (hmmpf) and play some nice music to soothe my soul 

OK, coffee - check. Mood - better! In for the task - You bet! Don’t know about your locations, but here i Sweden prices are sky rocketing and hearing now that also Roon increases their fee, makes me want to cut expenses, but NOT at the expense of SQ!

So, what do I want to achieve?

• I would like to use HQP as the only (quality) music play back system at home.

• I want to be able to manage the playback using my surf pad only (android).

• I am in for a dual PC solution. First one will have Windows (10) and is aimed for conveniance, streaming of Spotify and film streaming etc. Will have a USB out to EAS converter including XMOS receiver. Will only participate with the HQPlayer Client software, for the sole purpose of allowing me to connect Qobuz from within the HQP spere. All others will be for my darling wife. The PC number 2 will have HQPe as today. The surf pad should be able to control this 2 pc playback when it comes to HQP. The other stuff like Spotify and TV, will be the Spotify Connect function and just a mouse and keyboard HID. PC1 and PC2 share the same ethernet and is connected to the same enterprise switch D-link 1GB speed.

• Now A friend of mine have made a Mac work from Qobuz desktop to a HQP desktop installation on the same computer. Fine. But that is no option, I will not download my HQPe with anything but that. Eventually I will find a I9-10900K as well, but that’s next.

• Now, what should I do to connect my NAS to HQPe? I have failed the ways I have read and all other ways as well. How do I do it?

• How do I connect the Qobuz to the HQPe? I managed to make it run solo, with no NAS connection. But I want them both connected. Possible? How? Please step-by-step.

• If the above is achievable, does it remain in settings when I close down? If not, can this specific setting be saved and recalled in very short time? Using just HQPe setting save, or do I have to use both HQPe UI and HQP Client separately?

From the questions and desires expressed above, I guess it is fairly easy to figure out what should be included in wanted feature list if this is not possible today. I think both NAS and streaming service should be possible in the HQPe, but programmed alo for dual PC operations, ie one PC operating like Roon, but no need for the bling, but must implement both NAS and stream under same umbrella.
PC 2 as a receiver and re-sampler/math computer.
Don’t know if that is being blunt to Roon and perhaps spoiling good relations? But personally I do not need the fancy looks, I need it to work, with simplicity. Further Roon have become very slow in response according to many users. One of my friends having 60 TB music, almost the entire british classical and jazz decca catalogue. Roon barely moves 
 Therefore it is better to stick to the thin architecture, rather than bling.

Hope my wishes shares with yours? For my purpose it would be great to close Roon subscription, but it means also that I as not so in-depth user, must find a way to use HQPlayer as the Roon part with reasonable ease.

OK, so the blue remote control was not compatible 
 Got the green V4 
 Now I can se Qobuz 
 check :white_check_mark:

Back to HQP Client

Now I can’t 
 :rofl: :crazy_face:

Now I can see it again, it took a restart of the HQPe 
 :joy: :joy: :joy:

Challange remaining, add the NAS 
 will it show, will I need to do a Bill Gates? (restart) :hot_face:

Have you looked at the quick start guide or the included PDF manual?

//server/share

Plus your username and password.

It will be mounted at /smb which you can then scan on the Library page.

Ehm what?

In HQPlayer Client, first connect to your HQPlayer server by selecting server from the top-left corner. You can check the connection from the control panel (button with three horizontal lines). Server info and some active settings are shown.

Then switch to the “Album View”. Either by clicking/tapping the gray left edge, or swiping to right if you are on touch screen (or drag using mouse).

Then select “Qobuz” as the library from top left corner library selection. If you are not logged in, you will get popup with Qobuz login. Once completed Qobuz will show “Back” button, when you tap it the dialog closes. You can also always close/cancel these popups by hitting Esc or clicking/tapping outside of the popup.

Once logged in your favorites, or featured content is shown and Qobuz logo is shown in the GUI.

Here’s the link to the brief quick start guide in case you missed it on my web site:
https://www.signalyst.com/quickstart.html

Yes, on Client you select between “Library” and “Qobuz”.

For content to appear in Library, you need to first scan the content.

HQPlayer is different from Roon in this respect. I don’t like Roon doing background activities like scanning things when I want to play music. It doesn’t need to, I could tell it when I have added new content and there’s actually something to do.

Instead, on HQPlayer you tell HQPlayer when you have something to scan for. And then it will appear in the library. And you know when it is scanning and when not.

Comments per post up in the quotes 

I agree, that is why I use the Linux integrated stuff from you, and why it is bothersome to use any OS with a taskmanager loking like Windows. This is not what I intended though in my comments, I would appreciate to have both the library AND the NAS running simultanously, sÄ that I could get, eg versions of an album side by side. There are many times I check which of the albums I desire for the moment depending on the most favorable mix/master.

But I fully agree that there should not be any library activity in the background, unless I pointed that out. But having both Qobuz and NAS issues side-by-side would be nice, IS nice in Roon.

Don’t know how many of y’all using the HQPDcontrol from Google play, but it sure doesn’t show what is going on. I see just the momentary playback and at the end the next track show up from the entire album selected in the HQP Client software. No matter how many times I “sync” the remote as I am supposed to do according to the explicit direction following the download page. Is there anyone with greater success than me and what version are you running?

Even though I am a bit ambivalent with the HQPlayer Client performance, at least show as is. I see what I can reach in Qobuz, it shows I am not able to make the NAS connection running, so it is true in that sense. It would be far better to have an Android control mirroring the HQP Client software UI.

So it would be called “//nas/music” when you are trying to mount it. On Windows it would be “\nas\music”. Linux and Mac use forward slashes as path separators, while Windows uses backslash.

macOS uses same way as Linux, but in standard URI syntax so it would be “smb://nas/music” or alternatively “cifs://nas/music”.

At the moment, all configuration is owned by the server. Client is just for playback controls. This may change at some point in future, but this is the current situation. Since there are number of differences between Embedded and Desktop. For example NAS share mounts are only relevant to HQPlayer OS. Such doesn’t even appear if you install Embedded on a normal Linux distribution. Or in Desktop. Since in both cases such things are handled through the base OS and HQPlayer doesn’t have access rights to such things.

I’m not going to comment much about HQPDcontrol because it is not my software and I don’t really use it that often. (I use Client on Microsoft Surface tablet running on Windows 11)

If you are playing Qobuz, that is what happens. HQPDcontrol doesn’t support streaming services and it doesn’t have visibility to internals of another control application (Client).

If you load album or playlist from a local library this is different though and the current playback things should be pretty equivalent. The resync selection there is to synchronize local library data from HQPlayer server to the HQPDcontrol’s internal cache.

Now, this is what I have tried to do;

Pic 1 Network mount UI started in HQPe

Pic 2 After mounting, apply, no receipt on if action is successful

Pic 3 Library view completed form before clean scan

Pic 4 Library view after clean scan, no receipt if action is successful, HQP Client started

Pic 5 HQP Client, HQPlayerEmbedded selected as server

Pic 6 HQP Client, source view. Library and All selected, no indication if there is a result

Pic 7 finally 
 loading view to play, trying to find e g Rammstein from library, no result

Please feel free to jump in and tell what or where I did wrong

Pic1 - don’t check smb/cfis v1
Pic3 - non need to check clean scan, just select /smb and click on scan

1 Like

Thank you! :heartpulse:

I have tried that version too, but will do again. How long will it take for a scan, in the sense of having actual access to the large library/NAS I am trying to mount?

With around 600 albums it takes around 5 minutes

1 Like

As I said earlier, this is wrong. It is “//nas/music” (Linux/macOS style) not “\\nas\music” (Windows style).

Also note that “SMBv1” shouldn’t work with any modern NAS. But some old or otherwise badly implemented NAS devices may need it. So it is always better to try without it first which is more likely to work. If it doesn’t, then one can try with that one set.

1 Like