HQPlayer Embedded Discussion [2021-2022]

Hi guys,

trying to help my dear friend experiencing what I have done; but the initial problems is similar to mine, but this time I think I have filled in the right URI and correct scan commando. It is at least exactly what made my NAS work together with HQPe, except off course my friends URI, user and password is used.

Is there anyone who can detect anything wrong?

I have attached three pics;

1. snapshot from Windows explorer showing the NAS name and subfolder
  2. snapshot of network mount view in HQPe
  3. snapshot from library view and the command I used to start the scanning

Hope someone’s able to help me and especially my friend who is really anxious to see if he will hear the improvement I did.

HQP Mount image_Explorer view

I think the pathing is wrong but I’m not sure which is your actual hostname.

\\Lager8\path\to\music
\\Ds1817\path\to\music

does either lager8 or ds1817 reply to ping?

try the ip address vs the hostname for your NAS

Replying on behalf of Borje_Andersson, who is my friend and I wrote the question sitting by his computer logged on to his Roon user account. English is a bit of a struggle for him.

Ds1817 replies to ping. It is named as DS1817 in the Explorer. It is a large Synology DS1817 8 disc NAS. It connects without any flaws to Roon as is. It just will not connect to HQPe. /lager8 is the subolder for his music collection. I connected my NAS (also Synology but a DS416, which I have renamed in the Synology software) the same way; typed //NAS/music, which is the URI in my local network.

His NAS is in fact a DS1817+, but presents itself as DS1817 only. We have tried both names.

You say I can feed the network mount page in HQPlayer Embedded alternatively with the IP address instead of the search path? That was new to me, but will be tried off course. I did not know from my own almost never ending trials 
 :slight_smile:

We were able to get a USB disc to connect as input and also a USB memstick.

What should I ask to scan in the library section if I fill in the IP-address? “/smb” or the IP-address?

If “ping ds1817” replies I recommend using that.

My guess is:
Share is the host/path to be mounted via smb
Path is once mounted path to your music.
But a guess.

Does the DS1817 have a static IP? If it does, you can use it’s IP address instead of server name on the share path. Like “//192.168.1.2/lager8”. This leaves out the need to do Windows name resolution on the network (broadcast chatter).

1 Like

Thanks, Jussi

Should I scan “/smb” or something else (namely?) once I mounted the NAS?

/smb is the correct one, that’s where the SMB media is mounted.

1 Like

I’ve Desktop version in Unbuntu running fine. Is it possible to have the embedded version image boot in this computer? Many thanks

You can download it starting from this page

Now it happened again, I made the mistake of lowering the volume with speed when my daughter was about to start brest feeding her son. Again I turned the HQP Client down to lowest volume and in a split second the toggle of the mouse wheel went over from -60 to -3. The poor kid was scared like ■■■■ and took a good while to calm down.

I think it would be a great idea if this volume would be programmed to act like ANY other volume, ie when lowered to lowest position, its stops. I do not plan to learn the different key commands when a graphic UI is available and I was not going to mute the sound, simply lower to a very low level.

This might blow a device eventually, when I play music. And from now on, when any infants is visiting us, I will play my wifes Spotify account. The reaction from my daughter was, “that was not the most selling feature of a software” 
 I cannot really object. As this never occurs in any other volume control I have ever used, irrespective if in a software or in a hifi device, this behaviour is not programmed into my muscle memory yet, not to getting to close to lowest volume.

I expect to start the HQP Client playback again December 27TH. That is when I presumably will be alone in my home again next time. Just as a precaution 

:wink: :upside_down_face: :sweat_smile:

That’s what it does. I don’t understand how you managed to do something else?
Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 18.45.12

Why not set maximum volume in HQPlayer settings to something you consider tolerable, instead of -3 dB? This is why the setting exists - to avoid unpleasant accidents.

Yes, but embedded is a different license which you will need to purchase.

2 Likes

If I crank up or turn down the volume, using the mouse wheel, there is no stop or start. In either of the directions it starts all over when it reaches the “end position”. That means that next level “down” from -60 is -3. It jumps over the end and starts from top down again 
 It acts the same on both computers I have HQPlayer Client installed as control software of the HQPlayer Embedded. Have not tried the remote software from Google play, but that is not your software anyway, so that would not be an issue for this community, except as perhaps a general warning. Will try that one to, at a conveniant occasion.

I can indeed set a max level. That is a way around the problem. It is managable to alter the max volume, between when having the grandkids here, or when I am alone and feeling wild and crazy. Not in any of the cases will it however be necessary to have a max level at -3, as it equals the output of 400 watts per channel and is so loud it will wake the dead 

It is strange that you do not experience that the volume spins around the entire lap and starts over again 
 ? How can it be wrong in both my pc’s. I do not click the volume, I hoover the marker above the scale below and roll the mouse wheel.

I don’t know, as I have not been able to reproduce it. And the component itself doesn’t even support wrapping. But in any case, I have today reworked the volume control component behaviour. There are now some more precautional checks too. I have added a special mute feature so that a long press of the volume control will drop the volume straight to the minimum value. These will be included in next release.

In any case, the maximum volume setting is enforced by HQPlayer server engine. So the maximum volume value should be always set to something safe.

2 Likes

Yes! Totally aware of this! So I need to download it from here Signalyst - Installing HQPlayer Embedded

Need to do both steps?:

Download and install libgmpris package. And then the hqplayerd package for your distribution.

And then

Downloading and configuring bootable image

Download the hqplayer-embedded image and write the image to a media you plan to use for booting, such as USB memory stick.

If you are using the HQPlayer OS image, it has everything in place already. Just boot it up and it’s ready to go.

If you want to use my packaging for the regular supported Linux distributions, then you need to download and install those packages.

1 Like

Then after booting I just add new license and change password right?

Can I install on a graphic desktop version of Ubuntu the embedded version?

Edit:
Obvious question: Can I trail the embedded version before purchasing?

Many thanks and happy holidays

Just shouting out to everyone on the forum wishing Happy Holidays and many thanks for your gifts :gift: of wisdom, special thanks to:

@jussi_laako
@dabassgoesboomboom
@IgorSki
@ffk
@Chunhao_Lee

Wishing you the best of listening :ear: and joy of music :notes:!

5 Likes

Happy Holidays to you too @Moy and everyone else.

Lots of music to enjoy :smiley:

:loud_sound:
:headphones:

1 Like

:heart:

• 10 characters