HQPlayer Embedded - not buying

hihi, well Pi is not so optimal to run HQP itself. Try Desktop an put it on your laptop. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Well surely that’s not why the Embedded version was created in the first place. Desktop software and laptops have no place in my Hifi chain.

hihi, yes myself runs Desktop on Ubuntu Server too with small UI only. But I love to have it on my Macbook Air too, if I want too. It runs super fine on M1

This comes down to an individuals use case.

Software is software, hardware is hardware, whether it is displayed on a monitor or headless is simply a matter of deployment.

In a digital setup how can you not have software and hardware in the chain?

1 Like

HQPe and Desktop have the same engine anyway to my knowledge…? Believe HQPe has an interface for DLNA additional and only that Web UI? Core is the same imo?

Indeed. Which is why I said “… my Hifi chain”.

I didn’t say there shouldn’t be software. As you say, it’s a matter of deployment. To my mind, a tool like HQPlayer belongs on an appliance, not on a desktop. And when I listen to music, I want a remote control or its modern equivalent, the Roon app on a tablet - certainly not a laptop. Even if I were to use a laptop as a frontend, for some reason, I still wouldn’t want that volatile environment of the laptop to run a mission-critical part of the chain (like HQPlayer could be in the right setup).

Hey, it’s a cool option to have a desktop variant of the software - to each their own. But my Hifi chain is something that goes on and off when I press a big button or two - not something that breaks randomly when Microsoft decides that the next Windows won’t work on my system, or something along these lines…

I have no idea. Oh wait here’s one: let’s check the docs, surely that’s all described there! Ah rubbish…

2 Likes

Pretty sure about, what I am saying. For the UI, well try the different options. They are listed on Jussi webpage. Take a look on the Desktop page too there…Myself does not have one reason to buy HQPe. But this is for my usage scenario. I am not running on a Pi HQP engine.

It’s very surprising to me when I hear complaints about the cost of HQPlayer since my experience tells me it’s the best value in high end audio. At a time when DAC’s can cost thousands, and amps and speakers multiples of that, using HQPlayer has allowed me to defer upgrades over the years and the long life cycle of each HQPlayer version means I’ve only had to upgrade once since using this product over the past 5-6 years. Using the new filters and modulators that are constantly being implemented in HQPlayer has allowed me to improve the sound of my system without needing the much more expensive stereo component upgrades. Everyone has their own opinion, but I’m just very, very surprised.

2 Likes

Well, I hope that a “cost complaint” is not the only thing - hey, not even the main thing! - you took away from this thread of 48 messages. Or even just from my first message… that said, I can’t do anything more to explain my position with regard to price. Obviously different opinions can be had, as always, but I stand by my reasoning that I explained in lots of detail.

I appreciate your feedback about the positive long-term experience. Glad to hear you’re happy! I wish that I had somehow had a good start that might have led me down the path you’ve been on.

1 Like

Not at all…I know the learning curve can be high, and it also took me a bit to get my system working (and sounding) the way I like, but I’ve had plenty of help here, and the results are well worth it! I’m not very Linux savvy so I run HQPlayer Desktop on a Windows machine and use RopieeeXL on a Pi4 as an NAA. This alleviates a lot of the need to learn Linux.

1 Like

I have an Embedded thread that I created just to discuss Embedded stuff, to seperate from Desktop and NAA and other stuff.

Jump in there to ask other Embedded users for help ! Everyone including Jussi will help you out.

You are always free to create as many of your own threads for help too. Same thing will apply, people using Embedded will help.

I reckon we’ll get you onto Embedded soon enough

:grinning:

2 Likes

I like your enthusiasm :slight_smile:

However, at this time it’ll take some persuasion to make me have another look. I described a bunch of technical issues and other points, in my original message - and I have patiently explained many of them in loads of extra detail during the day today. However, I have not received an answer to any of the questions, a workaround or explanation for any technical issue.

Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining to all those individuals who were kind enough to try to help - but roughly 50% of the messages were actually just to tell me that they don’t agree with my goals or choices, and the rest hasn’t managed to address any of the specific issues.

On top of that, my bad feeling about the maker of this software has rather been confirmed by the fact that there has been just one reply from him, which failed to address any of my points. I have also not received any reaction to my support emails from yesterday.

So… I’m afraid nothing has really changed, compared to the point yesterday evening when I started this thread, and however much I appreciate your help in the community, my points still stand.

1 Like

Oliver,

honestly I wish for you to be able to get your system set up and performing the way you want.

May be break down your initial post in some bite size topics specific to the problem you seek a working solution for?

It looks like there are a good few on the forum who may be able to lend a hand.

1 Like

There are many, many , many HQP users who are thrilled with the product. If it t doesn’t do what you want or how you want it done… move on

Frankly, I’m shocked at how much time you have spent here in the past 24 hours defending a position that nobody else agrees with

If you had spent a fraction of the time learning how to use it that you have spent on this forum whining about it you would be all set

7 Likes

if he has questions about Pi running HQPe, there are a lot of threads for that…All other stuff got adressed here already, incl. telling that most of us can not confirm his experiences…sorry about that for him…

1 Like

Well, one point is “how can I prevent HQPlayer Embedded from crashing or hanging 50% of the times I change a filter setting”. Do you really think this is a question that can be answered by somebody in the community? Assuming that this is not something that happens to everybody, it is clearly an issue triggered by complicated factors that only the software developer knows in detail - and even if somebody else may be able to analyze the issue due to extended experience, figure out which specific circumstances cause the issue, they could still not fix it. And of course, if there was actually a well-known cause for a problem like that, then why wouldn’t it be fixed already… the existence of such problems is the main reason why I’ve wanted to get in touch with the devs from the start.

Other points are about licensing - you’re right, maybe somebody knows. In fact, I can’t understand how anybody would have paid money for this software without asking the same questions upfront - only of course many use the Desktop version instead, perhaps that’s different. Given the title of this thread, I can’t believe that many people interested in the Embedded version would have /not/ read it yet. Of course, once more, the most obvious and reliable place to ask for licensing information is the manufacturer…

You make the point!

Oh, I am moving on, don’t worry.

What nonsense. But let me be the judge of how my time is best spent.

More nonsense. Thanks for reading.

2 Likes

Oliver,

I have nothing else to offer I’m afraid .

Communities are normally the single best place to get answers to problems. But I recognise you may feel different.

1 Like