HQPlayer Embedded - not buying

Alright, it appears that we have reached a point where people are offended by my efforts at making myself understood. That’s fine - I don’t insist on explaining something more and more that doesn’t need more explaining. As I pointed out before, I was only keen to provide information that might be helpful to others, and I was happy to explain my points as much as necessary. Clearly this has run its course. My apologies to anybody who feels mistreated by my comments - I’ll be off to do something more useful and leave you all to your pleasing experience with this software.

3 Likes

wow, amazing how consumed you are with this, . So you have made up your mind to not use it yet lurk here firing back within minutes. A quick count shows over 20 replies from you in 24 hours and some quite lengthy

I hope you find what you are looking for

1 Like

Amen! I, for one, am glad this person will not be buying HQPlayer in any form….

I bought Roon for HQPlayer, only because Roon has a much better user interface and it manages a music library. If Roon stopped supporting HQPlayer, for me I think both of them have to go. Let’s hope that day will never come.

That doesn’t mean it technically has that role or functionality. I play my local content and stream Qobuz and HRA (which is not even supported by Roon) and listen internet radios with standalone HQPlayer, without Roon.

I think it serves the purpose. It is is not intended to have eye candy. And works from desktop browsers down to mobile phone browsers as intended. And if you don’t need to touch it more than once, I don’t think the looks matter much. OTOH, Roon Server doesn’t have any web interface.

Is software somehow less valuable than hardware?

Maybe slightly different sales volumes. But it won’t buy you any proper CAD software for example. Look at some Mentor design software pieces that can easily cost $100k.

You can calculate cost of number of man years it takes to make the software and then divide it by estimated sales volume and you have some kind of figure.

Don’t worry, I’m not anywhere near breaking even with this project. I doubt I ever will be.

Not true.

Since you known Linux well, ever thought about looking at the package license details?

Or look at the provided readme.txt and help pages?

I wonder what you asked. And if you used that certain German internet provider service that bounces back email responses (not just for me).

Anyway, since you chose to use the OEM product, maybe you should adjust your expectations accordingly. The consumer product (HQPlayer Desktop) comes with a PDF manual and I have also online quick start guide for it (link on the web page). Although the Client part of quick start guide applies also to Embedded.

Many of these are hard to answer without exact use case.

That would buy you roughly 10 minutes of my time.

You run it for 30 minutes, then you need to restart to get another 30 minutes. And then you should make up your mind within 30 days if you would like to buy the license.

On HQPlayer OS, /usr/share/common-licenses/hqplayerd/LICENSE

Nor normal Linux distribution packages, the license document is included as the package license data. In same way as for all the other packages too.
On Debian/Ubuntu: /usr/share/doc/hqplayerd/copyright
On Fedora: /usr/share/doc/hqplayerd/LICENSE

This is something you would do from a control application, such as HQPlayer Cilent or HQPDcontrol.

You can do it from the web interface as well, straight from the front page.

Unfortunately Roon has not implemented support for it.

Wrong, if you want to casually switch you change it straight from the front page. You don’t do it from the /config page. The values you set on /config page are startup defaults.

How did you determine it crashed or hanged? If you get error page on RPi4 after the default 10 second refresh time, wait a bit more and reload the page. Sometimes slow systems like RPi4 can take longer to restart the server.

5 Likes

You have a lot of really happy and satisfied customers with HQP and you! Thank you for that!

2 Likes

Well this thread encouraged me to finally get round to trying HQ Player. Been meaning to for a long time but never had any ‘spare’ hardware to run it on. Downloaded HQ Player Desktop to listen to it in isolation (not Roon connected) and fired up Server and Client programs.

After a small amount of faffing about I was able to load a library of albums and start playback. Initially there was a repetitive clicking sound accompanying the audio so I went into Settings in the Server program and adjusted the buffer size from ‘Default’ to something else (100mS I think but no idea what Default is) and that seemed to fix it. Then it ‘crashed’ on me but I think I had reached the 30 minute playback limit of the evaluation version. It worked fine when I fired it up again. I can run Roon on the same laptop, so lots of listening ahead comparing the sound of the two. Endpoints are RopieeeXL which I think can now run the NAA so that might be the next avenue to explore when I work out how to send audio over the LAN from it.

I agree with the OP in that the website could do with a refresh. It is fairly ‘bare-bones’ or minimalist and not exactly helpful. I don’t think it has changed much in all the time I have been using Roon (5 years).

6 Likes

Take a look at the other threads here too e.g. for Desktop or for recommended filters. Enjoy the music! Also take a close look on the settings at the manual (screenshots)…Those are good starting points for modulators and filters imo.

You can see from the front page, that the web site has been pretty much the same since January 2009… :smiley:

Yes, I know it could look more pretty, but I haven’t got time to redo it. Been a bit too busy on the software, support and other things.

It is all old school hand written HTML + CSS, typed in the cool “vim” editor! (I think vim’s web site is not much prettier :smiley: )

4 Likes

Lol, I’m doing the same thing despite the fact I think the OP is not wrong. HQPlayer doesn’t exactly invite you to try it or I would have done so a long time ago.

Jussi, you don’t have to make the website prettier. Just provide more info about what it looks like to get help. Why not link the forums you post at, for example?

2 Likes

If they are not hidden there already, some typical system architecture diagrams would be very useful. These could show the different configurations of HQ Player with associated software required to run on each device.
Roon used to have diagrams like these (they effectively sold the product to me because I could see how to run it and it was obviously just what I was looking for) but I think they have been deleted after the web site was refreshed. This was a mistake, as there are still posters that seem confused about how to run Roon and what hardware and software options are required to do so.

3 Likes

@Chunhao_Lee - I saw your reply where you are using HQPlayer on an RPI4 and are able to use that for streaming Apple Music. I’d like to hear more about your setup. Am I understanding correctly that you are able to use HQPlayer to for playing Apple Music in this configuration? I’d like to use PEQ and convolution on the raspi so I can apply them to all music I stream through that device and not just what I stream from Roon.

Jussi offers the BEST, customer support out there period! I have never had a problem after 6 years of running HQP that he has not only replied to but fixed in a timely manner! HQP Rocks!! IMHO! Thanks, Jussi!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience. My experience has not been as extensive as yours, but I did spend a few hours with HQPlayer Embedded. I think it’s a great piece of software, particularly the signal processing part of it. I also do a lot of signal processing work professionally these days, so it was perhaps a bit easier for me to grasp what HQPlayer is doing, how it works, etc. However, I do admit that, for a newcomer, the software is not user-friendly. Does it need to be user-friendly? The author does say that is “designed for building Linux-based music playback devices and digital audio processors,” so it appears to be aimed at experienced users. Even so, the lack of easily available documentation, incl., installation, networking setup, DSP details, could (should?) be remedied by the author, particularly given the price of the software.

For Embedded, there’s readme.txt, with some additional details, such as configuration file items. And of course the setup instruction web page.

And then in the web interface, on configuration pages there’s some help documentation that can be found through the Help-link near top right corner of the page.

But for non-DIY server builders, the software is usually found built-in to some hardware product. These have their own main web interface and own documentation.

3 Likes

I confess that I spent hours trying to get HQPlayer working and gave up. I’m not a Linux master but nor am I a novice.

Yeah, as I said, an experienced user will figure it out, but a novice is likely to get frustrated and give up. It’s not meant as criticism of your product, it is simply a matter of managing user expectations. A lot of people expect point-and-click simplicity or, in the case of Linux, foolproof command line copy-and-paste code. I enjoyed my time with HQPlayer Embedded very much. In the end, in my modest system, the sound quality improvements were slim. My system is probably not good enough to take advantage of HQPlayer’s DSP.

1 Like

I mean you can configure RPi4 as HQP OS’s “UAC2 input” for your PC/Mac or iOS devices.

RPi4’s USB type-C connector is not only for power supply but also can be the USB input:

1. add dtoverlay=dwc2 in the config.txt
  2. add this line to hqplayerd.xml
<input channels="2" device="UAC2" format="auto" name="UAC2" pack_sdm="1" period_time="100" type="uac2">

If you want to use this trick for iOS devices, please use powered USB hub. RPi4 still need 5V to boot. Photo shows iPhone → iFi iUSB3 → RPi4 → iFi DAC for AM or other music player upsampling.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this setup, will have to try :hugs: But only have HQP Desktop please.

Spoke like a true dev :+1:

5 Likes