HQPlayer NAA thread

No, I consider it outdated hardware just like Pi2 and Pi. Pi4 is cheap and has been around for a long time.

1 Like

You could install networkaudiod on dietpi or on raspbian. The upcoming ropiee XL release will support the zero 2 as well.
Question is what sound device are you going to use. USB is supposed to be inferior.

I updated to the newest NAA yesterday on my microRendu, works fine but no apparent differences. Still nice to use the latest. Btw, is there any way to check the NAA version of the one you use?

You can find the NAA version running on the device in the HQP log

1 Like

Hi @jussi_laako

What is the difference between naa-413-x64 and naa-413-x64ramfs ?

Previously the NAA OS image used to run entirely from RAM.

Is the only difference now you have an option that doesn’t? So the non-ramfs allows to change hostname for example.

I just loaded naa-413-x64ramfs onto by UpBoard Gateway for UAC2 input.

It seems you fixed the bug I’ve been nagging you about :smiley: changing sample rates no longer results in white noise blast or FM radio type distortion with music.

Thanks !!

“ramfs” is like the earlier x64 images. And the x64 is like the non-x64 images have always been.

Only the x64 one.

Yes. Although if you use the UAC2 input feature you should probably stick to ramfs image (different kernel version).

Yes, and other networking changes possible. Also includes WiFi support (unofficial though!), both client ant AP.

That’s the right one for that case.

I synced up with the HQPlayer OS images yes.

1 Like

Why? Is that a proven fact or your opinion?

The USB implementation of the pi3 is generally regarded as crappy. But maybe from a certain age it does’t matter.

Nice to see latest NAA back on latest DietPi

DietPi ARMv8 64-bit image

There was a time NAA version was very old on DietPi but I think all good now it’s on “bullseye”

I always preferred DietPi to RoPieee XL for NAA - RopieeeXL feels bloaty.

I love RoPieee for my little touchscreen displays around the house though. But I don’t use it for audio output.

Thanks @Nickpi.
Is it a specific case or is it in general USB inferior to wired ethenet?

USB audio on the pi 3 (I assume that the zero 2 has the same architecture) is regarded as inferior to what you get with a hat or USB on a pi 4. But that depends certainly on your gear, your ears and your imagination.

1 Like

Hi @jussi_laako

With your Linux Mint Cinnamon HQP/NAA machine - are you running lowlatency kernel with that?

Or best to avoid lowlatency kernel with any Ubuntu based Desktop setup?

It is my email/travel machine. Running stock linux-lowlatency-hwe kernel:

jussi@swift:~$ uname -a
Linux swift 5.13.0-27-lowlatency #29~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 14 01:48:36 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
1 Like

Ok I read somewhere on some random forum that lowlatency kernel should be used on Ubuntu Server but not Ubtunu Desktop, for audio applications

But obviously if you use it on Desktop then that’s bogus info

It should be used on both, it is the one to use for multimedia applications. The generic kernel is more geared towards server/bandwidth use cases.

Same way as Windows; where desktop Windows editions are optimized for multimedia and gaming, server editions are optimized for network and storage bandwidth. These have mutually exclusive requirements.

1 Like

I needed a wireless NAA. I think it might be complex to setup WiFi on NAA OS with RPi4.

So I loaded latest 64bit DietPi to RPi4 and added NAA and setup WiFi. Very quick and easy.

Works flawlessly, DSD256 (DoP) for a couple weeks, no problem, no drop out.

DietPi is much much less bloated than RoPieee XL it feels to me. Faster boot up and way less background stuff happening.

Highly recommend DietPi and making a donation to them.

Keep up the great work @MichaIng ! Especially HQPlayer NAA support/updates :grinning:

1 Like

If you liked DietPi, You might want to try Gentoo Player on your RPi. It’s the most highly optimized, leanest setup for audio. You can swap out kernels and try different ramdisk setups. fwiw, most people who use it thinks it sounds the best too. I liked it but don’t have a need for it right now. 29 euros now I believe.

I doubt it is more optimized or leaner than NAA OS for NAA use… :wink:

1 Like

Many RPi OS are still ancient 32-bit, like Raspbian. Because they try to stick to one OS for all RasPi’s. But RPi3 and RPi4 are really 64-bit devices. And especially on RPi4, 32-bit really doesn’t do justice to the hardware and you’ll certainly want a proper 64-bit OS there…

1 Like

Touché. I was only thinking about more generalized RPi audio OS’s. And WiFi was mentioned. But the reason that I don’t have a need for GP anymore is that I do indeed use NAA OS :wink:

1 Like