HQPlayer NAA thread

All these ones with web interface seem/feel bloated to me.

DietPi is lean and has great kernel support. No need (for me) to swap out kernels.

Has been working flawlessly for me over WiFi with DSD256, not a single dropout.

Very fast boot. No background crap happening, or very minimal.

I use NAA OS in multiple places with ethernet cable. The DietPi WiFi RPi4 sounds just as great as those :ok_hand: As one would expect of course.

1 Like

There is WiFi support also on NAA OS. But it is not official as it is not plug-and-play like ethernet.

It is not horribly lot of effort to configure wpa_supplicant on NAA OS / HQPlayer OS and then point systemd-networkd there. But enough that I don’t really want to advertise it. There’s also “hostapd” included, so the NAA / HQPlayer device can be set up as WiFi Access Point if the WiFi hardware supports it. This stuff goes to category “if you know how to do it, you can do it”. With web configuration for WiFi the problem of course is that you first need to have network configuration in order to do network configuration. Which is the traditional chicken-egg problem. I’ve though about more elegant solutions to this, but I haven’t got time to implement it, because I’ve been busy on sound related things…

4 Likes

Yes agreed, DietPi is up to date in that regard. There was a period where it wasn’t up to date enough for HQPlayer NAA but now it is. Hopefully it stays that way @MichaIng :smiley:

Yes I’ve seen some people getting it working on forums. DietPi 64bit running latest NAA for Bullseye is really fast to get working with WiFi. And easy to turn off HDMI in DietPi so it just runs headlessly. No need for a bloated web interface.

1 Like

bloated systems? you have to look at htop, in gentooplayer wi can be disabled.

This is htop, with WI (they are python processes not a real web server) enabled sshd can be disabled and also dhcp can be disabled if you configure a static ip…

Practically 2 tasks

This is top:

Hi @jussi_laako

What changed from NAA 4.11 to 4.20?

I see you dropped 32-bit support for Windows NAA 4.20 ? :cry:

I have many NAA’s but one system I have a fanless/silent 32bit Intel Atom laptop that I use for 2 things:

1. ASIO driver with Chord DAC. I don’t have white noise blast like with macOS or ALSA

2. HDMI output (multichannel output). I can run the laptop on battery to eliminate ground loop / AC power RF loop.

1 Like

I updated backends to match HQPlayer. And few other pieces of my code to latest.

Yes, and same thing for 32-bit x86 Linux as well. Only 32-bit thing left is “armhf” (CuBox-i & co).

1 Like

Hi @jussi_laako

Which NAA OS version is running latest kernel 5.15, which has the new thing that might improve native DSD working with some DACs?

naa-420-x64 ?

None yet. Currently kernels are 5.4 and 5.10 with my patches.

1 Like

Ok thanks, just your custom kernel for Ubuntu is 5.15 at the moment?

Yes, that’s the case. Eventually NAA OS and HQPlayer OS will also move forward to the next long term kernel (5.15), but it always takes a bit of time as it is not as straightforward as it is on Ubuntu. (both use realtime kernels etc)

1 Like

I would like the ZenStream to be a little more open and to be able to install a more recent image … but with a few scissors and a big eraser, I can do the mini.
But still under Jessie, with an old kernel and a 384/DSD356/Dop 128 limitation.

And with cset :wink:

volumio@ifi:~$ cset shield  -v -v
cset: --> shielding system active with
cset: "system" cpuset of CPUSPEC(0-2) with 7 tasks running
   USER       PID  PPID SPPr TASK NAME
   -------- ----- ----- ---- ---------
   root         1     0 Soth [systemd]
   root       804     1 Soth [sshd]
   root       907     1 Soth [streamer-irq]
   root      1012   804 Soth [sshd]
   volumio   1045  1012 Soth [sshd]
   volumio   1046  1045 Soth -bash
   volumio   1068  1046 Roth /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/cset shield -v -v
cset: "user" cpuset of CPUSPEC(3) with 2 tasks running
   USER       PID  PPID SPPr TASK NAME
   -------- ----- ----- ---- ---------
   root       885     1 Sr98 [networkaudiod]
   root      1058     1 Sf_1 [networkaudiod]

1 Like

If it’s Intel should be fine.

What is the exact CPU model?

It won’t cost anything to try anyway and booting from USB stick won’t do anything to your laptop hard drive

1 Like

Overkill for NAA (endpoint) duties.

4GB is fine (if you can find one).

2 Likes

So the 4Gb is enough power alongside an ifi Streamer right?

Definitely. Here using a rpi4/4GB, it works fine with “original” NAA and with RoPieeeXL/NAA … and doesn’t have the constraint of DSD256, I can reach DSD512 (my dacs cannot do more …)

1 Like

I’m not sure I follow what you mean by “alongside” your iFi streamer.

Your iFi streamer is currently a HQPlayer ‘endpoint’ (NAA).

The idea of testing an Intel based PC/laptop or RPi4 is also for NAA so it’s not working alongside iFi Streamer - instead running NAA image on PC/RPi4 features a newer kernel update that may help with your native DSD issues.

So both RPi4 NAA and iFi Zen will be streamers.

It was just a suggestion by Jussi to try, especially if you have an Intel PC/laptop around or spare RPi4 around. Not necessarily to buy anything new.

Just in case there was confusion why there was a suggestion to try an RPi4 or Intel PC with NAA image.

It’s not running HQPlayer with this suggestion. It’s just an endpoint (think of Roon endpoint as an example)

I’m assuming you don’t have any access to any kind of Intel based laptop? Or NUC for example?

1 Like

I use a 1gb pi4, works fine.

1 Like

Ohhhhhhhhhh!!! Got it!

What happened is before 2012 mac mini was only running HQPlayer with Roon and it was not powerful enough to have DSDx128 working on my DAC-60. So I learned about using iFi streamer as a solution for NAA to help with processing load. And I got it and the result was much better (cand do DSDx128 but not all complex filters, because of my mac processor). So I was thinking that the RPi4 will be also working instead of my mac mini and running with ifi-streamer too.

So the RPi4 in this case will be connected directly to my DAC-60 in this case right?

Is it normal for suddenly some songs won’t play? Just shows the steps but the seconds don’t move, if you skip to next song is fine. (Edit: Correction 48kHz won’t play only)

This happened on Qobuz
Here are the songs

Hardware, Accuphase DAC-60, end point ifi Streamer, Roon running Mac mini 2012, 16GB/RAM, 1TBSSD.

What is the difference between the two screenshots?