HQPlayer NAA thread

Yes, ubuntu server + embedded + kernel from Jussi = DSD 512x48 is perfectly supported via ALSA for KA3, albeit it is very silent, on Win or iOS platforms it is significantly (like 20+ db) louder…

Windows NAA was the simplest thing in HQP universe that happened to me recently - no need to set up anything at all. Just clicked on a .bat file and got my DSD512 playback.

What I was not able to make was NAA on Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop. It was very simple installation for starters - Ubuntu Desktop + Jussi’s kernel + HQPlayer Desktop. I have installed NAA image for Linux via terminal, but had no luck in making it play. Tried other kernels as well, no luck with native dsd. I wonder what can be an issue. Any ideas?

1 Like

Software controlled volume? Have you checked with alsamixer?

The volume is fixed by HQP at -6db. Same low volume happens with my NUC NAA (running NAA image). I have checked alsamixer there (equalizing PCM and DSD volumes difference), all is at max. So, on Linux I dont know what else to push. On Win platform I can boost “-6db HQP fixed volume” with Win volume slider. But this is a dongle.

I have never actually compared HoloAudio MAY volumes Linux Source vs Windows Source, hm…

You mean HQPlayer’s software volume? But what about hardware volume?

20 dB is a lot, so there’s something strange going on somewhere.

There’s no buttons on this KA3 thingy :slight_smile: simplicity. From FiiO site I know there’s a control app, but it is only available on android platform which I dont have, and there’s something about gain settings and max volume in that app.

But in reality, as a dongle, it works like it should with iPhone and iPad and yesterday I made it sing properly on Windows at good volume and DSDx48 - smashing! Really can’t complain…

Where I would need your kind advice actually @jussi_laako Jussi is NAA on Ubuntu Desktop.

So I had already installed: Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop + your kernel + HQPlayer Desktop. And then I have added latest NAA via terminal. Is that all that is needed to have NAA running, or anything else needed? No conflict with installed HQP I suppose?

But it could have USB (mixer) controls. These appear also on Windows, and under alsamixer on Linux. But their Windows driver could be doing something extra.

Is there such volume difference between DSD played from Linux and DSD played from Windows? If there is, then likely reason is that there’s some control besides the audio data to control output levels of the device.

I think for example May had a bug at some point in their firmware, that they had forgot to disable PCM digital volume control from the USB interface controller firmware. For safety reasons, Linux defaults to -60 dB for such and this needs to be manually set to something else. By default, HQPlayer won’t touch these. HQPlayer Embedded supports hardware controls as well, but it is disabled by default.

1 Like

I can totally relate with you! I struggle a lot with Rpi4 NAA trying to get my DAC-60 to DSD256, when I tried and windows NAA with Accuphase ASIO drivers it was very easy to fix myself and get it running.

Although I need to admit that the Rpi4 NAA for the ifi NEO iDSD was plug and play.

One question here is it possible for HQPlayer to work with two NAA at same time? Or you need 2 HQPlayer apps running on different iP from Roon to different zones?

Not possible

Yes this will work

But if doing multiroom listening (you are moving between rooms?), you can just use Roon Bridge?

And use HQPlayer for more critical listening ?

1 Like

Thanks ! Yes it’s what I’m doing with other DAC, Roon Bridge. Many thanks as always :pray:t2:

1 Like

Yep, this is Native DSD playback comparison, agree there’s smth going on hardware level.

Also I had difficulties running NAA on Ubuntu Desktop and outputting to this device. Will try again some time later…

What is the lowest power needed to run a NAA that can output DSD 512. I have a Macbookpro with I9 that can do DSD512, but its fans are too loud. The MBP acts as the roon core as well with HQplayer on it. Is it possible to connect the MBP to a HQplayer NAA via ethernet? That way I can keep my MBP in a different place. A low powered NAA hopefully should reduce both the fan noise and the electrical noise.

A fanless RPi4 (in a case with incorporated heat sink) would do nicely, if you can actually find stock !

Load NAA OS image onto microSD card.

Or if you can’t be bothered assembling an RPi4, this is a recommended already assembled fanless NAA below.

No fan, no fan noise

https://up-shop.org/up-gateway-atom-x5-z8350-w-4g-memory-32g-emmc-board-w-vesa-plate.html

4 Likes

Certainly, that is point of a NAA.

As already mentioned by @dabassgoesboomboom , there are number of possible devices. The UP Gateway can do up to DSD1024. Along with RPi4 these are pretty much plug-and-play with NAA OS image that you just boot up.

Some people use fitlet2 (I have one too). I have also new fitlet3 on order as well, but it is coming some time later. In addition, I just recently received next generation UP-Board (UP Gateway), but I haven’t got time to test it yet.

2 Likes

Testing ifi Zen Streamer as NAA with ifi NEO iDSD, although it can’t do 48x256, it converts to 48x128 (6.1Mhz) which actually is not bad compared with using Rip4 NAA 48x256. I’m using in all testing policy-sync-Xtreme-short-Ip + 7ECv2

Benchmark also with DAC-60 with NAA ASIO DSD256

I’m becoming more immersed on HQPlayer and I totally agree the “sweet spot” hits at DSD256. :heart_eyes: (as you guys already know :rofl:)

Here’s is my NAA lab :loud_sound::headphones::gear:

6.1 MHz only able to listen on HQPlayer:

2 Likes

I would be interested in the filters and what they do exactly compared to what Roon does while upsampling to DSD

1 Like

How would I boot up UP Gateway? I am guessing

1. Load NAA OS image onto microSD card.
  2. How do I boot UP Gateway? Connect the microSD card to UP gateway using some kind of adapter? Are the steps mentioned somewhere?

Also, is there a considerable sonic improvements if you use the higher end products like OpticalRendu?

Thanks.

I’m really a newbie, my insights are mostly by what I’ve bee learning reading in the forum and community support. I’m not at the level to answer that now :rofl:

Answered on the other thread where you asked the same question:

3 Likes

Neo iDSD can do DSD256x48k

You have adaptive rate / auto family rate, selected?

1 Like

Yes, but can’t play like this on Ifi Zen Streamer only on Rpi4 NAA. Ifi Zen Streamer max is DSD256. When I select 48x256 no sound (keeping all other settings as you mentioned) only works with 41x256. If the music is in 48, it plays at 48x128. But in Rip4 NAA can take the maximum DSD512