HQPlayer NAA thread

What is the price? If you can convert to approx. USD.

Yes Intel Mac Mini can work as NAA but fanless option without monitor is better, like this one below.

Or even if you can find a Raspberry Pi 4 and put in fanless case.

yes, I like up gateway and I’m considering buying it, but I found a mac mini on a used ad for about $ 80, that’s interesting. Will mac output dsd native 512?

That’s pretty cheap. Mac Mini will likely only support DoP 256 as NAA, depending on your DAC. I might have seen someone doing DoP 512 with a DAC supporting DSD1024.

What DAC model you have?

Unless you load Windows on the Mac (free Bootcamp) and install ASIO driver.

1 Like

and I also have an idea to make NAA in a milled aluminum case along with a lined PSU, I work in production and we have all the necessary equipment and materials. For example, I can make a mini PC cool down through an aluminum case with a thick sole and such way to exclude fans…

1 Like

I like 5Vdc powered NAA’s .

They are low power consumption (and lower noise generation?) especially the Intel Atoms.

I can even power with normal 5V powerbank to completely disconnect from AC power crap (RF, ground / leakage currents etc etc). This gives the best SQ in my own personal experience.

The best AC power supply is none ! :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks ! I’m only interested in native dsd, so I won’t buy mac mini, then I’ll buy up gateway without a case, version 4/32 with passive cooling. I am guided, although for now I use dsd256, according to the recommendations of Jussi, later I will switch to ASDMSEC 5 V2, ASDMSEC7 … now for now on ASDM7.Dac Gustard x26 pro with 2 chips ess9038pro , - dsd512 his maximum

1 Like

RPi4 is also officially supported by NAA OS:

Index of /bins/naa/images/

But can be hard to find stock, even on used market.

1 Like

we have Raspbery pi model b 4Gb for sale at a price of $ 170, what do you think is better to buy, raspbery pi b 4GB or Up gateway intel atom?

Raspbery pi b. shop in Ukraine

2 Likes

I have and use both for NAA and I don’t see any advantage of UP Gateway for NAA use personally.

My RPi4 is actually powered via POE with normal Cat 6 UTP ethernet cable (with POE HAT + unmanaged POE switch).

If RPi4 is cheaper, it is perfectly fine. Very flexible with other distro’s also in case you want to use it with something else.

Just make sure to put in fanless case.

Or use a small 5mm tall copper heatsink on the SoC and big case like this $11 case:

1 Like

Stumbled accross these today. Looks promising for a NAA.

The optional POE is cool

Powered over ethernet cable.

But way more expensive than my fanless POE RPi4 running NAA OS.

Warning: NAA OS does not/did not boot properly on mini PCs with dual Ethernet, as I found with a different mini PC:

You should be able to boot those old Mac Mini computers to NAA OS (or HQPlayer OS) and gain full output rate support. I tested it long time ago on my old Mac Mini, but it is not part of my regular testing.

Those Apple keyboards (especially wireless) usually don’t work (if needed at all). But standard PC keyboard will.

2 Likes

I seen i2s audio output on it which looks interesting.
Rasperry pi4’s are a million pounds at the minute :rofl:

But the availability is not promising LoL
I placed the Fitlet3 order in last mid-July and have to wait 22wks. December is coming but I don’t receive any update from them.

There is still a lot of component shortage on the market. It would be more realiable if they would start sales only once they actually have some stock. I have one on order too, we’ll see when it will arrive.

It is not the first very long wait I’m having with these kind of hardware. I also waited for a long time for the first iMX8M devices.

I shared this just a few days ago - the next day the price went up (stock went). There is stock coming up each week, just have to be quick to spot it.

What Operating System do you use with the UP Gateway? Something like Windows 10 and then downloading the NAA software? If it’s Linux, a step-by-step guide for loading NAA would be great if you have time. At the moment I am using a fanless PC (Ryzen 3700, 64gb RAM, Windows 10) as a NAA endpoint it sounds fantastic so I wonder if the UP Gateway would be better. Probably not but it’s not expensive to buy.

Thanks

The best OS - Jussi’s custom NAA OS.

Index of /bins/naa/images/

Unzip, burn image to USB stick, boot from USB.

Done.

No need for Windows

1 Like