HQPLAYER new Version 5 Discussion

Likely the key file .xml you are trying to upload is somehow broken or something similar. Please contact me over email (address can be found from the web page) and include your license key file in the email as attachment and I can take a look.

I’m currently using roon with hq player embedded version 5. And while everything’s working really nice, I’ve noted that the meter (hq client 5) appears to show signal for five seconds before sound occurs. Is there some way to shorten the gap, is it a buffering issue? How may I approach this?

Is there any way to get the hq player client to show what song is being played other than it’s showing just playing roon? If I start a track list from within hq player and then pick it up in roon, it shows until the end of the playlist. If I start the playlist in roon, I never see a track list.

as always thank you for the endless support.

You mean level meters? Or the spectrogram? Do you output straight from HQPlayer or do you use a NAA? Which filter? Any convolution in place?

You can cut the output buffer in half by selecting “Short buffer” option in the output device settings. And you can also select for example 10 ms as “Buffer time”.

Roon doesn’t provide such info. So that is more of a question to Roon.

Yes, I bought it in November. So the upgrade price seems very, very steep!

I reached out to Jussi about it and he just told me that audio hardware is expensive.

I was hoping to have a more fruitful discussion.

I feel like I am being taken advantage of, which is a terrible feeling as a customer. I won’t be recommending HQPlayer to anyone. Especially as it has such a poor interface and documentation.

I’ve been in IT for 30 years and still find it challenging to set up.

I am really hoping a competing product pops up with a proper interface and a less egregious business model.

Well, the version of HQPlayer that you bought back in November still works and does what it is supposed to do, does it not? You don’t have to upgrade. This product is so extraordinary that I would have paid full price for the new version if no discount were offered.

I suspect Jussi was not flippant as you suggest. I bet you just didn’t like the answer.

Jussi is not taking advantage of anyone. He has put decades in HQPlayer and the sound quality is outstanding. I only recommend HQPlayer to people that are willing invest in high quality sound. It is not a product for everyone.

I’ve been in computers for over 30 years and did not find HQPlayer Desktop difficult to setup. It’s not easy but its certainly is not hard.

A competing product may pop up but it will not have the sophisticated filters, noise shapers, and modulators that HQPlayer has to offer. This is not a product you wake up one day and have it on the market in a week. The filters, noise shapers, and modulators take a long to develop and perfect. Only with time and experience can you come with ideas to improve these components.

5 Likes
  1. Did HQP 4 still work? Yes it did. You did not need to upgrade.
  2. I bought HQP 5 right away (one Desktop, one Embedded) because I want to support the product’s ongoing development and I was also interested in trying the new modulators, which I’m now using.
  3. Compared with the cost of audio gear that can really benefit from HQP, HQP’s cost is trivial.
  4. Setup requires care, including reading the documentation closely, but Jussi is always available with good advice, way beyond any other developer I’ve dealt with. Even when my problems were caused by using unsupported hardware and a failing ethernet patch cable, totally outside normal software support.
7 Likes

is there a way to hide HQPlayer Desktop v5 from the taskbar as if it’s running in the background? I think it will be a very useful feature, especially for people who uses HQPlayer purely for integration purpose with Roon etc.

Customize the taskbar notification area - Microsoft Support.

thanks for the reply. but i don’t see anything on the link you shared that will help me to hide HQPlayer from the taskbar since based on the link you shared, you can only hide the one on the system tray.

Have you tried using Google?

https://www.makeuseof.com/hide-running-apps-windows-11-taskbar/#:~:text=Windows%2011%20doesn't%20incorporate,with%20Taskbar%20Hide%20and%20WinRAP.

Love the new Client app @jussi_laako !

Showing levels for all channels. But channel levels is covering the high frequency spectrum which is behind it - I’m probably stupid and can’t figure out how to make it look better ? :smile:

Or is this a bug ?

2 Likes

Ok I need to brave the heat of the man cave and turn on the computers to test this out :grin:

1 Like

It just gets a bit crowded with that many channels. With 5.1 it is a little better and that is the typical maximum channels use case (5.1 channel DSD). It just cannot fit endless number of channels within given screen estate.

Originally meter background was transparent, but it looked way too messy to me, so I went with black background instead, so you get a black box on top of the spectrogram.

I can look into control panel option to make it dimmed semi-transparent, like 50% opacity. Or just let you specify the opacity percentage (it is 32-bit RGBA, so it has 8-bit alpha channel, thus 256 levels).

1 Like

I had the same experience difficulty installation even though I too in DevOps field for years.

Maybe, Hqplayer needs an assist in UI and document to make it easier.
Also create a default setup mode then advance mode from the GUI.

Many times, answers to questions could be found from the included PDF manual or from the quick start guide, but these have not been read.

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy: If everything else fails …

1 Like

That would be nice! I would jump to release 5 immediately, no brainer.

2 Likes

On release i got 15% for my few month old license, i skipped a bit time and tried again and got 30% like 3 weeks ago.
If this is now 40-50% this would be a small bummer, but ok.

2 Likes

Interesting, I didn’t change any discounts and the upgrade form gives same code every time you upload the same key…

The first code i requested was in may or june, the second was in september, both where different, with a different discount.