HQPLAYER new Version 5 Discussion

ok will check, thanks…will try when i get back to the hqplayer machine again early tomorrow.

Update - I went into /etc/systemd/system/roonserver.service, i append a line of “CPUAffinity=12-15” under the [Service] Section and able to save the config and did a systemctl daemon-reload and restart the roonserver.service, happy to report the services now are under the configured affinity of cores which is purely running on E-Cores.

I am also an enthusiastic HQP user. I bought HQP4 last December (!).

Now I saw this morning that upgrading to HQP5 should cost me over 200 euros again. That is indeed a very poor discount for an upgrade path.

I think I’ll wait a bit more… HQP4 still works like a charm.

For that purchase date, you get 30% upgrade discount. Of course the starting price is already very low in itself.

3 Likes

With reference to a comment some steps above, I do care about the player section in the HQPe. Roon is disconnected, the subscription terminated. I could really use some of the lavish functionality of the Roon Player/Server, but do not care as it cannot match the playback SQ quality of HQP proprietary player section.
What would be a nice gesture, since both Qobuz and HQP agrees to have a joint cooperation, would be if the Qobuz desktop player could be set in a HQP mode, using the HQPlayer playback engine, but still looking like Qobuz desktop app. I would prefer the Qobuz desktop player funcionality and looks, especially the Qobuz Radio feature and the ease of adding favourite artists/tracks/albums.
That would be one significant reason for me to purchase the gen5, but for the moment I am perfectly happy with the gen4 as it plays and sounds so nice, irrespective of having to use the HQP Client player. Still the HQP is the largest game changer I have ever signed up for.

2 Likes

This is already implemented. I will implement more things as time goes on.

3 Likes

I have a Mac mini M1 and I can’t go very high on DSD upsampling. I am using HQPlayer V4 and will buy V5 next month.
What are the best setting for M1 to get highest DSD upsampling rate.
Also which computer is recommended to utilise full potential of HQPlayer 5 for DSD upsampling…
I like Mac mini for its small size.

i9-13900K + RTX 4090

If budget allows. And if you can put it outside listening room and use NAA

But what DAC/s are you using?

I am using Exa sound DAC older model. Plus a Gustard DAC. I also use a Gustard DDC in between.
What will be the cost of i9 computer in USA.
I am not sure if I can get it in India.
We don’t have anything from Apple for HQPlayer with faster processors

I’m not in the US but if google the big shops for pre built gaming machines, look for that CPU and GPU

There should be lots of options

OK, do the lists transfer back and forth between the Qobuz app and the HQP Client? I wish to add/remove from wherever I play and enjoy the result in another place. There is as far as I know, no transfer of favourite lists? If so I have again failed to understand, sorry for that.
Up til now I usually feed my reference list among others, in my workshop while working, and bringing them up at home as my playlists from the Qobuz menu in HQP Client.You say that I can from the HQP Client add favourites and then access them from the Qobuz app also when not at home?

1 Like

Yes, there’s the star-button in the “album” popup dialog to favorite entire album/playlist or just one track.

1 Like

Hello everyone

The longer it takes

HQPe the more I come to the conclusion that hq player is not intended for people who want to listen to DIY music only on PC.

If I browse most of the forum, there are problems related to

the installation and proper functioning of hqp are getting bigger and more complicated.

When I bought the license I thought that I would spend most of my time listening to music, mistake.

I spend most of my time with hq player and keeping it running.

The only option is HQPOS.

With this there are the least problems but without CUDA!!!

HQP Emb. on ubuntu server 22.04 “supposedly” everything works but at the start again surprise 2 minutes of waiting “wait for network to be configured”.

Updating is not something that is done automatically.

It’s a shame as the working softwear itself is brilliant.

But if someone cares mainly about listening to music, he will have a serious problem

Thank you

Regards

welcome back
It’s about solving the problem in my case.
"Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS you can get an error like “… wait for network to be configured”. This will last for 2 minutes. You can solve this by applying the following: "
I tried deactivating the lan card “on board” after installing ubuntu, which resulted in changing “Fingerprint” (trial only).
Now I deactivated the same card while installing ubuntu. (I am using Asus XG-C100F 10G Netzwerkkarte (SFP Plus Port) add-on card)
So far it works, I don’t have to wait 2 minutes at startup.

Regards

Very few compared to number of users. But people make much less posts just stating “I just wanted to tell my system works - I have no problems”.

Ubuntu networking problems are not related to HQPlayer though…

So far I haven’t got any problems with my onboard Intel 1G and 2.5G NICs on my Ubuntu servers. I just leave the machine running, just updating HQPlayer package every now and then and restarting the service, and maybe kernel couple of times per year if I see it necessary. So the uptimes are months in row and I can start playback at any moment.

I have no idea what controller is used on your ASUS card. But I carefully choose hardware that I know it is well supported on Linux.

On my Fedora 37 server, CUDA was off for some weeks because Fedora project upgraded the kernel to a new release which broke the Nvidia driver and it took Nvidia some weeks to fix it and provide update along with CUDA 12.2 release. This is not HQPlayer related at all either. On Ubuntu LTS or Debian that has not happened though, as they have a different kind of upgrade approach.

3 Likes

I don’t understand how @jussi_laako always manages to answer everyone on the forums matter-of-factly, even though I get nervous just reading it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hello and welcome

Jus, you are 100% correct.
I am just all that needs to be done and in fact has no direct relation to HQP e,.
The second thing is how am I supposed to explain all this to my work buddy, who would certainly be a potential HQP buyer, but he has no idea when it comes to
pc systems linux etc.
As for my MB Asus, this problem with “2min” on startup has a lot of people and it’s probably not a typical asus problem.

Thank you
Regards

HQPe is as I understand not really meant for normal end users. So, you tell him to use HQPlayer Desktop.

1 Like

HQP OS runs Embedded and is bootable from USB stick

Configured from a web browser

For most people, no command line stuff required

Only problem is cannot run Roon on same machine running USB boot HQP OS

Need 2 separate machines

sonicTransporter can run both Embedded and Roon Server on one fanless machine

4 Likes

Hi, I wanted to establish if I can get a discount from my HQPlayer V4 to V5, I got the message std::exception, does this mean no discount or have I done something wrong?

Rob

Best option in such cases is to choose Ubuntu Desktop and HQPlayer Desktop combination. Or alternatively Fedora Workstation and HQPlayer Desktop combination. Just take care that you use the supported OS versions.

So far this has been first time I hear about such. For me, two minutes at startup wouldn’t be too bad wait every couple of months…