HQPLAYER new Version 5 Discussion

It’s that kind of support that caused me to sell my sonicTransporter i9…I am so much happier with my M1 Mac mini!! It cost a lot less and performs the same or better.

2 Likes

I think the HQPlayer + NAA sounds better than Roon, even my native Linn App / Qobuz sounds better than Roon for some reason. But I like using Roon / Qobuz lossless streaming because of its user friendly features, so combining HQPlayer DSP into Roon is a win-win feature for me,.

2 Likes

Why can’t you still use roon with HQPlayer and NAA. In past I’ve used roon on rock to control HQPlayer on a Mac and that sent its signal to a NAA supported Stack Audio streamer but you can use any RPi pc to do the same. You don’t have to give up HQPlayer.

I do agree that it would be nice if HQPlayer filter were an extra paid option you could use within roon itself but don’t think that’s ever going to happen unless roon buys out HQPlayer.

it is just not very ergonomic, plus Roon keeps losing connection to the HQPlayer desktop.

Is there WiFi between these 2?

Or hard wire ethernet cable?

Powerline adapters?

Everything is wired, but I think after a couple of hours, maybe after 8 or 10 hours randomly, Roon says it loses control of the HQPlayer.

Powerline adapter is banned from this house.

Managed switches or all unmanaged?

The switches are either cisco or netgear, but I just use them as unmanaged (default settings) because I would not be bothered. Note that I have a linn streamer on the same network and not once that Roon loses control of it during my 10+ years of using Roon.

Btw, I am a network C/C++ software developer working for one of the big guys here in the SF Bay Area, so I think I know what I am doing, it is just that I do not have time to look into the TCP or multicast connections between Roon and various audio devices that I have in my household, but I know definitely there is a connection issue between Roon / HQPlayer desktop and since I have this issue, and I am sure that others would have it.

Nice! The right man to find the cause of the problem :grinning:

1 Like

I always run Roon and HQPlayer Desktop on the same system and I never have a problem.

That’s said, I really appreciate your help. It’s just there are quite few of Roon users who are just non-tech users.

On that same machine? With high sampling rate, i.e >=384khz./24?

That is very easy stuff for most people already running Roon

What are the CPU models in your Roon and HQP machines?

The Roon is a Nucleus, and the HQP machine is a game desktop (Dell Alienware i9 desktop with 64G of memory and plenty of SSD disk space), the network is fiber optic with 5 gbps.

But it is not the hardware, it’s the problem between Roon and HQP tcp connection.

Definitely run Roon Server on the i9

And sell the Nucleus

You will have no troubles with 384k upsampling on the same machine

Btw it is also a troubleshooting thing to try to rule out networking issues

You might be surprised what you find :wink:

1 Like

The Nucleus never loses connection to the Linn network streamer, not once.

Actually, it is my mistake to get a Nucleus, it does not give me any issue yet, but it does not have any potential to grow.

2 Likes

I use an M1 Mac mini (16GB RAM) and I am able to run Roon and HQPlayer upsampling everything up to DSD256 using all the 7EC modulators. Upsampling to PCM 1.536M is easy!

3 Likes

ok, so that explains, everything runs in the same box, it is local tcp connection, maybe using unix domain, so tcp disconnect issue is a rare occurrence.

I play music by 24/7, mostly as background music, and hqplayer is on different machine, so now and then roon complains of losing control of the hqplayer.

i don’t have access to the source code, but i guess this is the issue of heartbeat or keep alive protocol between roon and hqplayer, if one side doesn’t respond in time for a heartbeat request a number of times, either roon or hqplayer declares that the connection is now dead.