HQPLAYER new Version 5 Discussion

That sounds like a network problem. Are the HQPlayer system and the Roon system hardwired to the same switch or router?

As I said earlier :face_holding_back_tears::wink:

Yeah roon on a nucleus or a rock system canā€™t have HQPlayer on the same system. But running roon and HQPlayer off the same computer might be the better solution if itā€™s powerful enough. And then sending to NAA removes any chance of electrical noise. Also easier to troubleshoot if both on same system.

If the former would be done, are you sure it would sound as good as the current approach?

1 Like

Any WiFi or DHCP involved?

The big advantage is everything is on the network with Roon RAAT.

Every node is on DHCP, no wifi.

I see some DHCP lease renewal issue as potential reason.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good hint, but I am still skeptical because tcp is supposed to be reliable even over DHCP.

It is realiable only as long as the IP address doesnā€™t for example suddenly change or disappear. If the lease expires without renewal, DHCP client releases the IP. If the DHCP server decides not to renew the lease for the same IP, but decides to change the IP instead, it will also break any outstanding connections. Also if DHCP client fails to timely renew itā€™s lease, the IP may cease to work, or in worst case ends up with IP conflict if the IP gets reassigned for some other device.

I have fixed IPā€™s outside of DHCPā€™s range for all relevant servers and I have never seen such problem.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen my devicesā€™ IPs get changed sometimes, but only after I reboot the router (DHCP server).

OK, HQPlayer log file would likely tell why it has gone wrong. Or the Roon one.

1 Like

Hello

My mistake

10 years 650ā‚¬

120 months = ~ā‚¬5.50

Regards

Anyone having issues with their NAA since upgrading to HQP5? Iā€™ve lost sight of mine for 2 days in a row and have to reboot it each time (which isnā€™t exactly easy). Never had to reboot it once prior to this (on HQP4).

Using an UpBoard and @jussi_laako latest image

Iā€™ve seen clients fail to renew in a timely manner, a Netgear access point comes to mind as the most frustrating. I moved it to a static address and everything was resolved.

2 Likes

Not I. I am using a Holo Audio Red with Jussiā€™s NAA image for it. My network is hardwiredā€¦

1 Like

Is it? Would it? I think one of the big advantages is to have everything on the network with HQPlayer NAAā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m hardwired as well. Just set a static IP to see if that helps. Strange it was never an issue before though

On my system, HQPlayer 5 and Roon run on the same M1 Mini 16GB/1TB.
The network is hardwired, the IP adresses are fixed.
I upsample most of the time to PCM 16Bit - 352/384 kHz with sinc-MGa / LNS15.

Iā€™m very happy with the upgrade to HQPlayer 5, but I have, from time to time, one of the following issues:

ā€¢ Roon loses connection with HQPlayer in the middle of a track, and I need to press the play button on Roon to restart the playback.
ā€¢ HQPlayer stops seeing NAA on GentooPlayer, and I need to reboot GentooPlayer.
ā€¢ HQPlayer starts eating all the RAM of the Mac, and I have to quit it.

One of these issues happens at least once or twice a day.

I assume this means that you have set macOS not use DHCP, and instead you have manually typed in all the network configuration there and the IP is outside of the DHCPā€™s serverā€™s assignable range? Not that you would just assign some constant IP in DHCP? Since these are not the same thing. Assigning constant IP in DHCP is not static IP.

What does HQPlayer / Roon log say about this?

What does HQPlayer / NAA log say about this one?

Since HQPlayer caches many things, these kind of things depend on your HQPlayer configuration.