HQPlayer not releasing Ropieee connect DAC on stop

Hi, I use Roon as a front end for HQPlayer 5 which then feeds NAA on Ropieee. I notice that after playing via HQPlayer that if I want to stream Spotify to the Ropieee that it will not play. The way to solve the issue is the close HQPlayer. Is there a way to get HQPlayer to release the Ropieee/DAC when there is nothing playing and then to reacquire it when something is played? While I don’t use Spotify very often, it is somewhat of a hassle to have to go to my pc to close HQPlayer to listen to Spotify.

Thanks!

Because of that i use an Raspberry Pi with S/PDIF HAT, so Roon and other can use S/PDIF and HQPlayer gets the USB.
Then i can switch the input via remote of my DAC.
HQPlayer Embedded captures automatic the endpoint as soon as it is seen and won’t release it until i change the output in the settings or reload the service so the other service can take it over.

How about playing Spotify through HQPlayer? It is even easy, since it is fixed rate, always at 44.1k.

Hmmm….how do I do that? I don’t see HQPlayer as an available output on the Spotify app. Note, I’m ideally looking for an “easy” solution since even though I said when “I” use Spotify, it’s usually my wife listening to Top 40 which I don’t have in my Roon library. So an “easy” method will be much appreciated!

Check out the “Using any source with HQPlayer” -thread. You can use loopback driver from Spotify output to HQPlayer input, which is simplest. Or with external hardware (RPi4) you can make HQPlayer look like a USB DAC and play anything through it with automatic rate switching (not needed for Spotify).

Thanks…that might be too tricky for my wife. Is there a way to get HQPlayer to release the DAC/NAA when not in use?

You can just close it and it’ll release any output devices.

Yes, that’s what I’ve been doing, but hard to explain to my wife the process. Is it possible to have it release automatically after x seconds after music stops playing as a feature request?

Then HQPlayer doesn’t know anymore whether the device state is in sync and whether it is available or not.

I’m not very technical, but can HQPlayer check when it starts to play again? If the device is busy, then it won’t play? The Spotify app does this, I think. If HQPlayer is running and connected to the NAA on Ropieee, then I cannot play to that Ropieee from Spotify. However, if I close HQPlayer, then I can.

This feature will alleviate the issue of having to close down HQPlayer whenever we want Spotify to play to that same Ropieee. And then start HQPlayer up again when switching back.

Spotify plays through the OS mixer / rate converter in shared mode, so it doesn’t need to check anything.

HQPlayer is designed to be the “DAC DSP”. It is a bit like asking to make a DAC that would check when you want to start playback whether half of it’s electronics circuitry has been ripped out to be soldered somewhere else meanwhile.

So, yes, if that would become the design objective, then yes, technically possible. But such things have not so far been HQPlayer design objectives. And it is not as simple as it may initially sound like.