HQPlayer on dual-NIC computer

Are there any network/Windows gurus out there?

I run HQPlayer on a Windows 11 computer with one regular RJ45 ethernet and one fiber network card. I have the internet connected to the regular RJ45 port, and NAA connected to the fiber (I’m using a ethernet media converter before the streamer with NAA).

Here is a simplified schematics:

But how do I get HQPlayer to discover my streamer with NAA?

Of course I could use a switch with an fiber port, and I did before and it worked. But that switch broke down and it should be possible to solve without a switch.

Its also possible to solve with software like Connectify Hotspot, and if all fails I might go that way. But surely Windows 11 should be able to handle this without third party apps?

Anyone have any help to offer?

Would you please publish a screen-shot of the HQP Settings: Settings / Outputs.

What brand is the streamer?

Secondly, is the fiber network card for an input or output network feed? Something tells me that the card is only for input.

Not sure what you mean by input/output card, its a regular network card with an SFP/fiber connection. And as I mentioned, I can get it to work by using a router or a software like Connectify Hotspot.

HQPlayer doesn’t discover the NAA in the output setting (the device combobox is empty)

I would guess that HQPlayer does some sort of broadcast to discover NAA devices, but @jussi_laako can probably clarify. So what I assume is needed is somehow to make the computer acts as a router or switch.

What is the brand and model number of your NAA streamer?

Its a microRendu running latest NAA

When you go into MySonicorbiter, what are your settings? What’s the OS version?

I use the image from HQPlayer, so I don’t have any MySonicorbiter or similar. It runs NAA and nothing else.

But it works when connecting through a switch, so there is nothing wrong with the streamer, NAA or HQPlayer settings. Whats needed is to configure Windows 11 so that the broadcast that HQPlayer does when looking for NAA also includes the fiber network card.

I have a PC with an ASUS motherboard that has a network connection. However, I installed a network card with an SFP port which I connect to my switch for a better connection. That network card only accepts an input from a switch - it does not output a feed to another computer.

I can get it to work with the help of a switch, but I would like to get it to work without a switch. There are no other computers involved, only one computer with 2 network cards (see schematics in first post).

You may try to change the NIC’s priority. Let fiber has higher priority (smaller number has higher priority; this way will make the highest priority NIC as default route tho).

Interesting idea, but it didn’t work. I think the metric is only used when Windows have several internet connections to choose from.

I should mention that I have tried Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and bridging as well.

Just out of interest, I “Googled” your request and saw many options but the consensus was “Get a switch” and I agree. What are your strong reasons for not buying another switch?

No super-big reason, just nice to keep it simple. Also, switches with SFP ports tends to be more expensive.

I see. The other possible issue is the media converter won’t accept the SFP+ module you’re using. Nearly all of the media converter only accepts SFP module (not SFP+). I would suggest skip the media converter and use RJ45 SFP+ module on fiber NIC side then connects them using RJ45 UUTP CAT5e or CAT6.

I can get it to work with the help of a switch, so its not an issue with the streamer or media converter. Its just that HQPlayer does some sort of broadcast to find NAA devices, and it does not “see” the device in this case.

I used NIC direct connections between host computer and two NAAs (fiber or RJ45) for sometime and never had such issue. I think next thing you can try is local IPv6.

I think I solved this now (finally). It was a combination of two things:

1. You need to set your internet zone to “Private”
  2. Use a network bridge over the 2 adapters. To get normal up-speed you also need to disable large package offload on the adapters.

I had tried the network bridge before but with “Public” zone, probably some security setting that prevents network bridge from working in “Public”.

A reboot might be needed before HQPlayer can see the NAA on the other adapter. You will also get firewall questions about allowing connections to HQPlayer (which you should allow of course).

For more info, Google, its all out there but not always so easy to follow and understand.