HQPlayer REW Tutorial Parametric EQ

Sorry so need more help here !

I see 3 Rows here in what part I charge or add?

Where’s 3.5 hz?

@jussi_laako

Change this:

To this:

And then? The 200 Hz how?

I’m so new at this :sweat_smile:

You can try and add by hand. Trial and error by how the graph looks and by how it sounds for you.
I would for sure wait untill Jussi responds but you can try :smile:

Filter 4: ON PK Fc 190.00 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 5

2 Likes

In Post #17 @Traian_Boldea mentioned it is in your second screenshot.

At #4 you can change Auto to manual and add a filter there and this way you can preview the predicted, all in REW. All before creating the txt file for HQP

You can change all Auto to Manual if you like and tweak the numbers

1 Like

That is some emotional art! :scream:
Frame that! It’s has its own energy vibe thing going on!

Ahhh :relieved: my anxiety levels just dropped a few hundred points Going from the top image to the bottom one.

Overstatement of the day. :grinning:

(Opps think I meant understatement of the day… That’s what I get for commenting right after waking up and before coffee)

3 Likes

Feeling your vibe!! :rofl:

1 Like

Just noticed that a DSD256 file is too much load for parametric EQ to run.

It is certainly much heavier for DSD sources. So quite a bit CPU power is needed. Convolution way is not light either, but it can be offloaded to Nvidia GPU which can do it (depending on model). On CPU, convolution is likely even worse. So depends on one’s computer which way would work better.

One can also create two profiles to switch between these two approaches.

If one wants to try convolution instead of parametric EQ for DSD sources, 352.8k convolution filter is best match.

2 Likes

Hi!
Please look:

1 Like

If you can reach ±5 dB target, it is very good.

You will notice if you are trying to overdo it, it will quickly start sounding strange. Up to certain port things improve significantly. And then going over the board quickly decline again.

When you go above 500 Hz it gets sensitive. When you go above 1 kHz it gets really sensitive and position dependent.

1 Like

Still has the wide bump at 3.5 kHz

You can try without and without some EQ there (low Q) and listen if its better or worse

2 Likes

This right?

1 Like

Ya
Give it a try and a listen and report back !

1 Like

Above 500 Hz, only the direct sound of the speaker should be corrected. To do this you need to window the measurement to only include the impulse before the first reflection. In order to achieve enough resolution, the window need to be long enough, preferably around 10 milliseconds. This is hard to do in a normal size room, which is why you need to bring the speaker outdoors if you are serious about EQing. The rewards of doing this is greater than any equipment upgrade!

3 Likes

The advanced room correction software like Audiolense XO and Acourate do similar

2 Likes

Well, almost. It’s physically impossible to measure the direct sound if your speakers are close to reflective boundaries. The floor is usually there, even if you have a large room with lots off free space. Automatic SW can of course do better or worse compromises, but for best results I would go for manual control.

1 Like

They do an amazing job - I’ve done verification measurements to confirm and have been extremely happy both objectively and subjectively

The latest Dirac Live is great too but not very HQPlayer friendly

Sure if you’re really smart then a combo of REW + RePhase can achieve everything but it can get really complex - that is for the most advanced users

I took my speakers outside only for the purpose of optimising crossover frequencies… ultimately you need to measure inside your listening room for room correction…

2 Likes

They are definitely better than nothing! Unless you go totally overboard with the target curve.

Yes, for room correction sub 500, you must of course measure at LP in room.

Here is the best guide I’ve seen on the topic:
King’s Swedish, but easy to translate and universally correct! faktiskt.io • Visa tråd - Mätningar för ekvalisering

2 Likes

Usually it is done by bringing measurement microphone to 1m distance from the speakers. Usually best to measure on tweeter axis. This is usually how automated systems do it, using very short bursts.

But I rather choose speakers that don’t need corrections other than in bass region for the room response.

1 Like

Do automatic systems measure 1 m from tweeter? I think that’s too close. And the speaker with perfect response natively is yet to be seen. Luckily we have HQPlayer eq!