HQPlayer REW Tutorial Parametric EQ

Yes, most do. They first make couple of measurements from listening position(s) and then direct sound measurements in near field. Combined result is then used to make the final correction.

I liked the Harman/Kardon system the most, it also lets you select on the fly if you want to do LF, LF+MF or LF+MF+HF correction. Of course you can do the same with HQPlayer and matrix profiles as well.

It should be OK for midrange and highs. For full range measurement it is too close.

Sure, but so far I’ve been happy enough with my Elac and Dynaudio speakers. Elacs are helped by SVS sub that has room correction EQ applied.

So I’ve been doing just room EQ. But I do full range EQ for headphones (Oratory).

Yes, and you can combine EQs easily now. So you can have speaker EQ and room EQ separate and run the combination or just either one through HQPlayer as you like. Quite many HQPlayer users do this too.

For example you can do speaker EQ with convolution filter from Audiolense and then add some REW based parametric room corrections. Or you can have two (or more) convolution filters.

2 Likes

Lets try!

2 Likes

Still no EQ at ~ 3.5kHz ? :smile:

2 Likes

Missing it! Will fix

Like:

Fc 3543 Hz Gain 3.70 dB Q 0.5

correction

1 Like

So far this is my favorite :heart:! Many thanks everyone for sharing your time and insights

2 Likes

I updated to the new REW version and the first filter gain is -32.40 is this reasonable or I made something not right in the process?

Many thanks!

Generic
Number Enabled Control Type Frequency(Hz) Gain(dB) Q Bandwidth(Hz) TargetT60(ms) FilterT60(ms)
1 True Auto PK 20.00 -32.40 1.000 20.00
2 True Auto PK 108.0 6.00 1.000 108.0
3 True Auto PK 124.5 -5.20 4.855 25.64
4 True Auto PK 281.0 -1.60 4.906 57.28
5 True Auto None
6 True Auto None
7 True Auto None
8 True Auto None
9 True Auto None
10 True Auto None
11 True Auto None
12 True Auto None
13 True Auto None
14 True Auto None
15 True Auto None
16 True Auto None
17 True Auto None
18 True Auto None
19 True Auto None
20 True Auto None
Crossover_filters
1 True Manual None
2 True Manual None

Fine as such, but looks a bit strange, especially given 20 Hz point as peak EQ. I guess it is trying to low frequency compensate for the +6 dB boost at 108 Hz. Or something like that.

2 Likes

Yes exactly I was not showing this abrupt change before. I’ll do measurements again and see what happens. Many thanks as always!

REW seems very strange, it mentions the testing measuring volume is low 62 SPL (but when using SLP reader is 80), and I already use a higher volume, something I can’t find from the newest version, so I’m using House Curve again with the same MiniDSP UMIK-1 and got no issues.

Got two options
5 filters

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 68 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 2.399
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 108 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 5.963
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 150 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 3.113
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 204 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 4.885
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 368 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 2.576

and

4 filters

This is better

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 68 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 2.399
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 150 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 3.113
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 368 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 2.576

Added -6 dB on HQplayer, for compensation

It is missing level calibration of mic input level vs SPL. You need to tell it where it should be, that would be additional step at the beginning. But it doesn’t really matter, because you can shift the target curve (SPL target) vertically to match the measurement result.

Most important with REW is that your mic gain is not too high that it would clip, and not too low that there would be too much noise (too low SNR).

1 Like

Generic
Number Enabled Control Type Frequency(Hz) Gain(dB) Q Bandwidth(Hz) TargetT60(ms) FilterT60(ms)
1 True Auto PK 122.0 -5.00 5.000 24.40
2 True Auto PK 286.0 -1.20 5.000 57.20
3 True Auto PK 400.0 -3.40 5.000 80.00

Finally, it worked! I had configured some different settings that were affecting the measurements from a tutorial that I saw in roon. Seems you have to put the mic very close to the speaker and move around while making the sweep. Now is back to normal. Got this now!

Made 6 measurements. Left 2, Right 2 and Center 2, then average them all. Measurement like full range speaker

is this ok??

Edit:
I missed adjusting the bass management cutoff. I changed the graph to physioacustic curve and did A/B testing.

Micro-adjusted, but sounds good, very steep Q

Testing new REW version! Able to play more with EQ design

@Moy I assume, based on your earlier posts, that you are measuring both channels at the same time here? Have you tried doing per channel/speaker correction, instead of a single average? What do others do?

I measure one channel at a time, from listening position, exactly where my ear would be. Any other position will result in some room response that is not applicable to the listening position.

2 Likes

Ok yes that’s what I do. I measure near left and right ears in listening position for each channel separately. Just curious what people prefer with 2 channel measurements with REW.

I updated now to measure each channel individual with mic :microphone: facing speakers. I make two measures the second slightly moving mic 5 cm from listening position. Then I make another 2 measures with 2 speakers together also moving forward a bit on second one like before.

I select full range speakers ( ProAc DB1)

I use the corresponding Mic calibration file too.

BTW I’m getting a > > > > > MiniMe P8v2, will upgrade to a 2.1 setting. It uses iWoofer for room correction. For now I will calibrate separately but I guess there’s a better way right?

Testing different EQ measurements after speaker position adjustments. The physioacustic curve is more subtle but also lighter load for HQplayer because it has fewer filters than a more detailed curve. It’s a give-and-take with everything, but I’m happy with the outcome.

4 Likes

Your speaker placement adjustments seem to have improved the situation quite a lot! It is good approach to try to first place the speakers in as optimal position as possible and then what remains to be corrected to be corrected with EQ. Gentler corrections you can get away with the better.

2 Likes

With EQ in place, can you then do a verification measurement to see how it looks?

1 Like

Need to run the sweep with EQ enabled on HQplayer? How? It’s quite good anyway! Many thanks for the suggestion

1 Like

Agree! I realize now how much improvement goes with just physical manipulation. Then as you mentioned final touch on EQ minor correction.