HQPlayer / Roon Integration: Ready for Prime Time?

Well… It’s marked ‘BETA’ (red, capitalized) for a reason, I guess.

There’s a lot to like about HQ Player, but, as @andybob so eloquently laid out, it is not for everybody. Its core competence (taking care of all DSP with superior filtering, dithering and upsampling) to compensate for (and surpass) the weak DSP present in most DACs is a very strong asset, but if you’re happy with your current DAC and setup, there’s really no obligation. :wink:

While current hiccups will be straightened out (on both sides), I would not get my hopes up for a fuller integration anytime soon – it’s way too much of a niche product for that, and I would guess it is slightly more involved than a shared library or plugin.

Upsampling to DSD takes some serious computing power – most of the delays are present in HQP locally as well. I find that when upsampling in PCM, most control delays in Roon are <1 sec., so network latency / buffering is not really an issue.

For me, the fact HQP integration turned a measly Pi-based NAA into a superior alternative to my Meridian MS600 is amazing and valuable. As filters go: after some careful listening, it is more or less ‘set and forget’. Whenever a more adventurous mood strikes, I just remote in from my iPad and filter my heart out.

But hey – YMMV. Enjoy the music!

2 Likes