HQPlayer with Roon configuration

I’ve just used GPT4 to advise me on setup: it came up with an entirely plausible set of instructions and I now have HQPlayer working…

Help me set up HQPlayer with Roon and a DAC which supports NAA for the best possible sound quality

To set up HQPlayer with Roon and a DAC that supports Network Audio Adapter (NAA) for the best possible sound quality, follow these steps:

1. Install HQPlayer and Roon:
    • Download and install the HQPlayer software on your computer from Signalyst’s website (Signalyst).
    • Download and install the Roon software from Roon Labs’ website (Downloads - Roon Labs).
  2. Configure Roon to work with HQPlayer:
    • Open Roon and go to “Settings” (click on the gear icon in the top right corner).
    • In the “Settings” menu, select “Audio.”
    • Locate the “HQPlayer” section and enable HQPlayer by clicking the “Enable” button.
    • After enabling HQPlayer, click on the gear icon next to it to access its settings.
    • In the “Device Setup” window, set the “Volume Control” to “Fixed Volume” for the best sound quality.
  3. Set up the Network Audio Adapter (NAA) device:
    • Download and install the appropriate NAA software for your DAC from Signalyst’s website (Signalyst). It’s typically available for Linux, macOS, and Windows.
    • Connect your NAA-supported DAC to your network using an Ethernet cable, or through Wi-Fi if your DAC supports it.
    • Ensure that your NAA-supported DAC is powered on and properly configured, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
  4. Configure HQPlayer:
    • Open HQPlayer and go to “Settings” (click on the gear icon in the top right corner).
    • In the “Backend” section, select “NetworkAudioAdapter” from the “Backend” dropdown menu.
    • In the “Device” dropdown menu, select your NAA-supported DAC.
    • Set the desired output format (e.g., PCM or DSD) and bit/sample rate according to your DAC’s capabilities.
    • Configure the “Filters,” “Dither,” and “Modulators” sections based on your preferences and DAC’s capabilities. You may need to experiment with different settings to find the best sound quality for your system.
    • Click “OK” to save your settings.
  5. Test and optimize:
    • Now that you’ve set up Roon, HQPlayer, and your NAA-supported DAC, play some music through Roon and make sure everything is working correctly.
    • If you experience any issues, double-check your settings in Roon, HQPlayer, and your DAC.
    • Feel free to experiment with different filters, modulators, and dither settings in HQPlayer to find the best sound quality for your audio system.
      Once everything is set up and working correctly, you should have an optimized audio experience with Roon, HQPlayer, and your NAA-supported DAC.
4 Likes