HQPlayerd installed on a NUC - Pi 3B+ - NAA OS

Can I use RPi4 NAA OS image on a 3B + ?

No, only RPi4

You can install DietPi 64-bit on Pi3B+ though and still use the latest 64-bit NAA version for Linux

Thanks, I did try DietPi, didn’t try installing different kernels. In your opinion, do you find they make a difference to the sound?

DietPi is very good, very light on resources.

Sounds great

Are you using a HAT or USB output?

If using USB output, getting an RPi4 is better if you can find one. And NAA OS works on it

I don’t know about different kernels for DietPi and I don’t bother with different kernels.

Just stick to the latest update - but make sure you pick the 64-bit version

ARMv8 is the one.

Hi, I’m a little lost on how i could install NAA image on the dietpi OS, could you please share the installation method used? I really wish to use wifi via NAA for hqplayer but am lost with how.

It is not installing NAA OS image on DietPi OS

You first install DietPi OS and during install you will have the option to install all sorts of things that you can choose - like Roon RAAT, NAA, Shairport (Airplay emulator), Spotify Connect, UPnP etc etc.

You also setup WiFi through DietPi, which is easy. But make sure you start with ethernet cable until WiFi has been setup.

There’s sites and I think even YouTube videos with guides about installing DietPi and setting up WiFi etc.

2 Likes

And be sure to install the 64-bit version of DietPi image

1 Like

Oh thank you so much!
This has significantly helped my set up. Much appreciate taking the time to share the method.

I went with Ubuntu 22.04 which is a software i’m more familiar with and couldn’t be any happier ! Hardly made a dent on resource even though it’s not really ‘lite’ and GUI.

Nice!

DietPi is probably a lot more lightweight, which is what you want for NAA.

But at least Ubuntu Server is better than Desktop (GUI and GPU activity) for this.

Maybe you can try DietPi at some point (no rush obviously) and report back on differences vs Ubuntu Server.

Nice that you got the WiFi NAA working though.

1 Like

Well, right after I spent an hour or so downloading and running the Ubuntu GUI w/ NAA installed, I was chatting with my friend and shared with him what I discovered. He was suprised I didn’t know RopieeeXL does NAA too and wireless at that ! Think I just opened my door of posibilities even wider. Lol.

I’ve used RoPieee before but always felt it was more bloated than DietPi

Good to have options of course

Ubuntu with GUI is not what you want for NAA - headless is the way to go

I will definitely give diet pi a go! Is there anyway to install NAA in arm processor tv boxes? Just to give them a new lease of life.

This is the one i have in particular.

@jussi_laako will have to chime in but if you browse here below to see supported NAA options, I would think you need to install 64-bit Ubuntu Server Jammy (not Desktop with GUI) and then the Jammy NAA.

Link: Index of /bins/naa/

Unless DietPi works… would be more lightweight than even Ubuntu Server.

Do a google about DietPi and ARM Cortex A53 cc @MichaIng

Or if you’re feeling adventurous - just give it a try :slight_smile: You might be surprised if it just works

Another reason I like DietPi over Ropieee - way more supported hardware

1 Like

Those TV boxes are often a little challenging. The kernel we use for Cortex A53 SoCs like on PINE A64 is from Armbian, and that should not be the issue. But an image requires a usually SBC/box specific bootloader, so you most likely cannot boot our PINE A64 image on it.

Armbian does not seem to provide any image (even community image) for it:

I would generally recommend to use one of the well known SBC instead of TV boxes, at least if you plan to install other OSes on it than the one from the vendor itself.

However, if a Debian based vendor (or from elsewhere) image is provided, and one is open for experimenting, one could try our installer to convert it into DietPi: Supported hardware - DietPi.com Docs