I am unable to decompress the flash image on my USB stick

I bought a Intel NUC 11 Pro NUC11TNHi3 and . Successfully added SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology and Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/S (PC4-19200) SR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory.

I downloaded the roonbox-linuxx64-nuc4-usb-factoryreset.img.gz image file.
I then tried using Etcher 3 times unsuccessfully.

Each time it would properly find the image file and my USB drive. When I click on “FLASH”, it would seem to run successfully until after the validation process completed, I get an error message that the process was failed. I now have 3 flash drives that are unusable.

I then tried using the Linux command to unzip the file using the command prompt, but it doesn’t seem to read. Here is the error message.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22621.963]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\bill>cd downloads
C:\Users\bill\Downloads>cd roon

C:\Users\bill\Downloads\Roon>gzip -d roonbox-linuxx64-nuc4-usb-factoryreset.img.gz
'gzip' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Please advise before I buy more flash drives.

Etcher sometimes gives false negatives.

Try to use for ROCK install one or all of the drives Etcher believes to have failed.

Yeah, there is a way in Linux to resuscitate those drives. Maybe someone can chime in.

You don’t need to do that.

You can always try Rufus. I’ve found that to be more reliable.

I don’t use Windows (nor macOS since an hour ago), but I’m pretty sure 7zip will extract the archives. That said, Etcher will handle that for you anyway, and if the writing process completed, but failed during verification, I doubt that’s the issue.

To check the SD cards, download a different image, e.g., Ubuntu live image, to see if that works fine (use one of the three for this.)

What kind of USB drives?

I had about 3 PNY 32 or 64GB drives that ultimately did fail hard after trying to burn images to them (unrelated to Roon). I have no idea why but they were truly dead and died during a burn. Depending on age / type of drive you may truly have failed sticks even if they were working before trying to burn an image on them.

I have one microSD card that writes “fine” but never actually changes any data on the card. It’s like permanently frozen in a state of “read only” but throws no errors while trying to write to it. That’s a truly odd failure state to me.

Anyway, these things do fail in odd ways is all I’m saying.

I tried your suggestion. I tried 2 of the USB drives that had failed during Etcher validation. I now get further in the process. The system asks me to choose the drive to boot up from. I choose the USB. Hit enter and then get a Secure Boot Violation. “Invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup”. Any ideas?

Read the help article - you need to disable Secure Boot for a start.

One other question. My Dell does not have a USB port so I have to use an adapter. Could the burn failure possibly be caused by that?

I assume you mean, SD card slot, and you use a USB adapter. That’s fine; it’s what I use.

The message you had means flashing most likely worked, but your BIOS isn’t setup correctly. Follow the guide posted by @Geoff_Coupe.

Hi Martin,

Making progress. Was able to change the Bios and install ROCK. Hopefully only one more problem. On the screen, it properly lists the Manufacturer, Roon Labs, Model = ROCK, serial # and Hostname = ROCK. Then it reads, “Searching for network address… If this persists, please check your network connection.” ??? Any ideas

Have you connected an Ethernet cable from the NUC to your router? And, was this cable previously known to have worked?

If you’re happy that this is correct, restart your router.

Thanks all set. I needed to reboot the router. Good to go. Thanks for your help. Do I still need to add additional Codecs. Not clear or not now that it is up and running

1 Like

Yes. You’ll be back. :wink:

BTW, did this turn out to be true?