I didn't see it coming (Tidal replacing albums with MQA only)

Same here. Out of 700 records in Tidal, I missed 93 in Qobuz

1 Like

Ah , I only see CD in South Africa, I’ll keep an eye open

1 Like

Now I am confused … I remember shillings , pre 1971 wasn’t it

I remember pocketful of 6d coins for the table footy table

Thruppence ha’penny. [have been waiting to post that for a while, just got my opening finally!]

Not sure I get the reference either. Obsolescence?

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: MQA disappointing

This thread is about Tidal replacing albums with MQA only versions and the consequences and workarounds for music collections.

Moderators have shifted the more general discussion about MQA into this thread. Please carry on that discussion there.

4 Likes

I saw “it coming” over two years ago.

And the further danger of a single inventory MQA future is that it likely will infiltrate more than just Tidal. MQA encoded files will get distributed to other providers and stream as unlabeled MQA or even serve as sources for their lossy stream encodes.

AJ

5 Likes

Thank goodness I dumped my tidal trial subscriptions and went with Qobuz. I still can’t believe tidal falls for bob stuart’s lossy-shilled-as-hi-res sham. It’s rare I can’t find an album I want to hear on Qobuz. At least it’s run by audiophile-friendly music lovers and not a con artist.

5 Likes

I left Tidal the day Qobuz finally was integrated in Roon. Ok, I was subscribing Qobuz before subscribing Roon and Tidal was for me a redundant service for some time. MQA (I almost don’t dare to name it in a post of fear to wake up Chris) never gave me what I hear to receive from Qobuz (hires). Although I have to confess I’m not 100% sure to hear a difference between red book and hires. But I clearly heard a lower quality from Tidal when it played compressed formats instead of lossless where Qobuz never offered those formats in a Hi-Fi plan. That was when I left Tidal offering under par tracks and albums. In a nutshell it is what Tidal is now intensifying by pushing 15bit ‘cd quality’ music to those not using MQA processing.

It’s very simple, the plan is to have one consumer product with it’s sonic ability being solely dependent on what your hardware can do.

This plan overtime with mass acceptance will then lock away the master PCM / DXD/ DSD crown jewels back in it’s box and cause industry standard PCM sound to become less used for the consumer which will also restrict consumers freedom of choice.

This launch by Warner’s has been in the wings for quite a long time no doubt, Universal no doubt will be next, all majors have a stake in MQA (it’s business :slight_smile:)

Tidal has overwritten a lot of their PCM 16bit catalogue so you now get the MQA rework if you play back the file again.

Will they switch on the hidden DRM that is supposed to be their at some point ?

If the MQA format was so ground breaking then why hasn’t the recording industry taken it on board as it’s main ADC process for recording and mixing and dumped PCM / DXD etc.

What company also uses it for archival of it’s master sources ?

PCM may be a thing of the past for the consumer especially if a mainstream lossy company get on board.

At least you can still purchase the PCM CD for now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The albums I transferred to Qobuz from Tidal still haven’t synced with Roon. It synced about 190 but there over 1000 in the Qobuz visible web app.

Try logging out of all the services, restarting core, doing the Cache thing. No dice.

@xxx did you actually do anything to trigger the full transfer when you had the same problem, or did it just eventually go.

There was a problem on Qobuz end that Roon support worked with to resolve.

It was in the beginning of Qobuz integration, but that doesn’t mean that something hasn’t been regressed.

Good luck talking with Qobuz support about it. In my experience, they’re useless.

I don’t get what the issue would be except if they are removing tracks from the non-hifi tier. Is that happening?

1 Like

Tidal seems to be moving to having all MQA and nothing but MQA.

For those of us who see MQA as a solution looking for a problem or suspect the ultimate motive of MQA is to introduce an unbreakable copy protection, this trend cannot be abided.

4 Likes

Sure it’s not “abode”?

The Dude abides.

Sorry, I smoked a joint the other night and watched ‘The Big Lebowski’ for the nth time.

13 Likes

This is all coming. MQA will be used from the recording mic onwards. See this.

Also don’t forget the title of the 2014 AES paper which was … “A Hierarchical Approach to Archiving and Distribution”

Anyone who didn’t see any of this coming didn’t read much about it.

1 Like

Alright, the magic seems to be happening after I decided not to be a dreadful cheapskate and use Soundiiz rather than one of the knockoff imitators.

The next question is there some neat way of batch transferring liked tracks and tags from Tidal albums to Qobuz albums?

I can export the filtered results to Excel but if I can avoid manually doing it then that would be great.

Hmm, not sure why that would make a difference once it’s in the Qobuz Favorites list, but good.

Sorry, above my pay grade.

1 Like

All these related files I’m seeing are green light (non-“studio”) MQA. Per MQA this means the content owners cannot guarantee provenance. Relatedly, are they just batch processing files (like the millions of new Warner MQA tracks?) Assuming these are true, what is the point of MQA if provenance isn’t guaranteed and care wasn’t taken in processing or even allowing greater khz? This is disturbing (and I say this even while having an MQA dac and enjoying both Tidal and Qobuz.)

1 Like