I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

You have to “Add To Library” first, as we always have had to do.

1 Like

Yes and it selects a mysterious 5000 tracks to put in the shuffle queue. It used to shuffle my whole library. My library has shrunk to an unknown 5000 track playlist.
The loss of the track count is a minor irritation but the inability to shuffle my whole library is an absolute killer for me.

2 Likes

Sorry Neil, I don’t understand.

I haven’t been able to play anything from Tidal all day now.
Not very impressed with 1.8

I just don’t agree with any of what you say. I much prefer 1.8 to 1.7.
So I don’t have to “be honest” - there is HUGE amounts of positive feedback in the forum.

1 Like

Exactly this.

2 Likes

If it’s any help there is a workaround. Go to artists, select all and add to tag e.g ‘shuffle’

Then go to tags > tag just created. Shuffle play from there.

Not perfect by I’ve found it a very workable solution. (Saw this elsewhere on the forum btw - not my idea)
Hope that helps.

Tidal had a global outage earlier today, I had to re log in

Reproducing odd Classical searches is very easy if you have a streaming account. For example, do a search for virtually any Debussy composition. You will find in your list two completely different compositions. The reason is that famously Debussy did not use opus number and there are two competing catalogue systems invented independently subsequently. Roon does not have the logic to distinguish and will display both compositions from each competing catalogue system in very confusing displays.

Many cataloguing systems are even more complex, famously, for example Telemann. This is not meant to be a criticism of roon but neither do I think the claim that no one does it better is a defense either. It’s a big step forward I think with roon that Classical is now being seen as fundamentally different to other genres. The next step is that composers within different genres from a data management perspective can also be completely different. Ultimately there will be micro-logic required on not only a genre by genre basis required, but also on a composer by composer, case by case basis.

It’s pretty baffling to me because I didn’t think being a skin for Tidal/Qoboz was the main focus of the app. I thought most of us bought Roon because we have large local libraries. And most of the app is functionality around that. I mean I came to Roon because I didn’t want to be a streamer, and now I feel like these updates are only for people who have a streaming account because Roon is too stubborn to just apply it to local libraries too. All this talk about discovery was only for streamers. Makes no sense at all.

3 Likes

Aha, yes I noticed that too. But for me, this de facto comes down to the same behavior as before (I never play 5k tracks in a row), except I can see more of the queue in advance?

Probably I’m missing the point here, never mind then. :slight_smile:

So then please, go ahead and count. How many comments are positve, how many contain criticism. I did not count them, but maybe you can tell me? My guess was that more than half of the comments… So do you really think I am totally off with my guess?

Hi James,
Thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately I am not able to follow. I can’t find a “select all” option after going to artists and any route that I take has the same 5000 result.

Has it worked for you since you logged in?

It hasn’t at all for me.

Hi, if you right click an artist (or long press on tablet), you will select an artist. Then at top of page select ‘select all’. Then all artists are selected.

Then click the three dots to add to tag.

Hi Sander,
Correct, I don’t need more than 5000 in my queue. I do want to shuffle through my entire collection, not an abridged library. I like all my music not just a Roon selected 5000.
You could argue that I don’t need more than 5000 tracks in my library, but that’s just me. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ok, this happens all the time - so I will just give you one example. Only searching my own library for “Turandot Nilsson”
First is what Roon shows me as a result, then the actual albums in my library, if I choose singer plus all albums in alphabetical order. BTW something I am now also missing - the ALL option, now it is only Main and Appearances - where has the ALL gone?

as you can see there are 6 results.

4 here

8 here

So I have 12 albums which are “Turandot Nilsson” and Roon finds 6.

This issue was supposed to have been taken care of from support - atleast that is what they answered when I pointed this out. This was WIN 10, same results on iOS

Yes, it’s been working fine. All my music shows up etc. I am in the UK

There is a 1.8 poll in another thread. It is coming out at 70% plus, 30% negative. This is still a considerable negative sentiment but all this has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

The forum is extremely unrepresentative of the roon user base with literally a handful of 20 or 30 or so typically leading opinion formation until there is a ****storm like this. You can see for yourself by going to the three bars at the top right and clicking users. You can then sort the user activity in many ways.

My own view is that a better way to gauge sentiment on this is weighting those who never engage on the forum but felt compelled to with the 1.8 release against those who historically engage whatever the topic.

1 Like

Hi James,
Thanks for your patience. Yes I got something to work. I have no idea what is shuffling and by what criteria, but it is certainly doing something. I also don’t see a queue or a history of what was played which makes it hard for me to do my ongoing editing.
But thank you for what I hope is an interim solution.