I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Hi Neil,
You got me mixed up with another person.
Aloha,

Somewhat positive and Neutral does not mean, that those users are really happy. Less than 30% are really very happy.

I feel like I’ve stepped into an alternate universe. I wasn’t happy with 1.6. 1.7 was basically one large bugfix for 1.6.

Roon kept tooting their horn all that time about how their product was the greatest thing since sliced bread. A slew of blinkered fanboys virtually persecuted those of us who dared complain about the mess 1.7 was. Certain Roon staff members got downright testy and disagreeable when confronted with obvious and demonstrable failings of their vaunted so-called superior but useless improvements and “alternative solutions” to issues that had no reason to exist in contemporary software (i.e. search).

Now I find a 1.8 release that finally does approximately what the blurb said it would do three years ago and people complain.

I don’t get it. What was so great about 1.7? It was clunky, ugly and slow.

1.8 might not be pretty, but I find it’s faster, gives me much more information conveniently put on the same screen and it allows me to find stuff fast. Also the suggestions for comparable music and artist are much more accurate and relevant.

Does it live up to the hype? Of course not. That’s the Roon way. They’ll likely never learn that lesson.

Maybe they’ll hire a half decent graphic designer for the next release. We can only hope so, but let’s be grateful that this release at least does most of what it says on the tin. That’s a first.

(Stone the crows! I actually have no complaints about this version other than “build a decent search function already”. The world has gone mad!)

10 Likes

I’m not disagreeing with you. Statistics are very open to interpretation, even basic statistics. The point I am trying to make is that any statistics derived from the forum are going to be very unrepresentative as the forum is very unrepresentative. My personal view is much closer to yours :slight_smile:.

1 Like

No problem. It should be every artists track in your library. I do see a play history.

Anyway - a quick fix until Roon fix track shuffle :slight_smile:

Yes agree. The forum is not representative at all

I agree with all your points. So much wasted space and who gives a damn about this new Valance technology. This sucks and I hope they consider letting use the previous version.
No thought given to people like me that collect live (bootleg, but really Master recordings-SBDs, etc.) recordings and had a system developed to categorized my collection. 1.8 rearranged my collections into a bloody mess. And this forum, really isn’t helpful to help me figure out a Plan B. Thanks for nothing Roon!

1 Like

g’day from NZ! My Tidal software is running just fine on it’s own, but it no longer can play through Roon. I get errors until it crashes. Very frustrating, but I guess I’ll just have to wait to see if it fixes itself. Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated. Cheers

1 Like

Have you rebooted your Roon core?
P.S. say hi to my friend Kim in Picton… and I’ll say hello to the Queen for you :joy:

I was greeted today with message that my Tidal account was not active. I clicked on pop up window and signed in again to Tidal through browser. Roon reconnected to Tidal without issues.

???

They got rid of the sidebar that contained similar album recommendations and the current artists discography. The first song from an album appears at the bottom of the screen because the album title is as big as the Hollywood Sign. On multi-disc albums you have go into a menu to switch from disc to disc.

How can you say that it gives you more information on the same screen? What kind of device/screen are you using?

4 Likes

Roon 1.8 is great, and no way for me to switch back to 1.7.

Personally I am rather relaxed and confident that it‘s just a matter of a few weeks until some major complaints are addressed and everything works as expected.

4 Likes

the UI is IMHO very childish!

I’m lost too.

6 Likes

I use a tablet. Now I can scroll down like a normal person and see the whole lot without having to sideswipe (which on an android tablet resulted in the previous view behaving like it was on a rubber band) or having to try and fold out those infuriatingly small arrows.

Clickable stuff is finally big enough to hit on the first try or if it isn’t big then it’s at least not wedged between other clickable stuff.

At least yours is working.

We can’t use Roon at all since 1.8 - You can play 2-5 minutes max, then it breaks.

I’m so frustrated with this update. It has been good enough for 5+ years, now after one update it is totally broken. Nothing on our side has changed besides pressing the ‘update’ button. I regret that so much now.

We were so excited for the changes that were promised. I have a pit in my stomach and am genuinely sad for the other uses (my family). They aren’t technical and just want to listen to some music, and I can’t give them a good reason other than, ‘sorry I shouldn’t have updated it’.

Words can’t describe how lamentable I find the current situation.

3 Likes

This is a big overhaul plus many extra’s. It takes me some time to find where has moved what and all the new connnections to structured information. This helps me a lot in discovering old music almost forgotten and new music never touched before and that is what I really, really love and like. No failure at all. Keep moving this way.

Ok… I have just discovered what a mess has been made with the Tagging UX, and must agree with OP!

Rebooting it, as turning it off and back on? Yes. It appears that everything should be working, but it’s like Tidal and Roon aren’t 100% linking up.
Browsing Tidal seems to be working, but whenever I try to play a song, I get an error message saying “This track is not currently available from Tidal” followed by another error message saying “Too many failures. Stopping playback.”

You know Kim too? What a small world! I bumped into her, in town, just the other day. It sounds like she’s been enjoying the summer in the Marlborough Sounds.

Oversell and underdeliver has been one of the constants at Roon. Its a management attitude.

2 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)