I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

I am sorry, I don’t get your point. Are you happy to the point of bragging at this time or not?

Up till version 1.8, I was happy to the point of bragging/telling people how fantastic Roon is and even trying to convince people who were hesitating to buy Roon. Now, not so much.

A whole pile of people asked for Alexa, but somehow that is not a priority. Nobody asked for a complete UI overhaul and removal of popular features, and yet here we are.

3 Likes

yup, replied to your post

Contortions of someone trying to get bought out maybe?

3 Likes

Start a new thread with all your details and let the Forum help

Put @support an d you get the link to detail your system

1 Like

Thread was started over a week ago. Crickets.

It’s a great biography! I really admire your background. I am just a 95 year old Vietnamese sewage cleaner/worker living in a working-class sector of the working town San Jose in CA.

Btw, my post was really a tongue-in-cheek in response to something end-of-the-world comments, and it was not really directed at anyone, and my apologies if any of you felt offended.

All I say is that just relaxed, I feel confident that Roon will fix it in the end. :slight_smile:

Now I feel much better at anything, life is good after a bottle of Napa Valley wine. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Roon has had a memory leak for ages. I have resorted to a scheduled roon service restart once a night to free the memory. Annoying.

1 Like

That’s not Roon, that’s something else about your setup. I reboot my core once every 2-3 months (Mac mini). Most people on here are similar or probably even less frequent. Don’t perpetuate a myth that there is a massive memory leak, because there isn’t. For the vast majority of users.

2 Likes

This is right! It’s not Roon.

I can see it is an extremely difficult business that Roon is in, they are supposed to fix all kinds of issues unrelated to their stuffs.

2 Likes

I recognize that you and @hmack are the Naim users, great system, and the folks who know and use Naim are the ones who tend to have excellent musical tastes,

I had the honor to meet and entertain Julia Vereker (Naim founder) @ my home in the late 90s, a great man IMO.

1 Like

Absolutely! Dodgy networking, fly by night manufacturers claiming Roon Ready/tested when not, inappropriate use of DSP etc., and a tiny minority of users with real serious issues of unknown origin (although most likely related to all of the above). The reality is that it just works flawlessly for most people in most use contexts. Those people are not on these forums whingeing about font size or colour or tags or anything else, they’re enjoying the music and the enhanced experience working with their music library. There are clearly some functionality issues (ongoing, not just 1.8) that Roon management are aware of, have fessed up to, and have committed to fix in upcoming revisions. For which I give them credit, and will hold them to account.

Given the crazy range of hardware that they’re trying to support I have to hand it to the Roon team for doing such a great job. For all the people with ongoing issues, I’m sorry. But the reality is that in 99.99% of cases something in your environment is causing those issues. You may not know what that is, and Roon people may not be able to troubleshoot it. But outside of Roon software issues like the reported tags, focus etc. problems that are clearly Roon software issues, it’s y’all’s environment that is to blame - somewhere. Because for getting on for a hundred thousand users, it just works. Day in, day out.

5 Likes

Thats of course pretty much nonsense. Many of the broken / missing functionalities have absolutely nothing nothing to do with bad networks are ‚dodgy devices‘. There are hundreds of people complaining about all those bugs. So may be you want to adjust your percentage above.

Maybe it works for 80% of people, which would be a shameful figure.

3 Likes

Stop complaining yourself about the complainers. Lots of them have relevant issues.

7 Likes

Hi @Hans-Kristian_Bakke and welcome to the forum. I’ve monitored my core process on a Linux box for some months and it does indeed leak memory. Things get a little clunky when resources are stretched, then the core reboots and the cycle starts again. My core’s a 16Gb NUC and it takes about 3 days to eat through the full allocation.

2 Likes

There is always the one who wants to appear cool and funny, and who explains to others that they did not understand anything or do not know how to do things.

2 Likes

Mods have temporarily slowed posts to once an hour in this thread as it was deteriorating into an off-topic personal argument. If you find yourself getting into an argument with another user you might consider muting them rather than responding.

5 Likes

I am restarting the SERVICE, not the HOST. The system is 100% stable and roon don’t crash.

Where is your specific thread, you can’t honestly expect any support from this mess of a 1000 complaints, see above the mods are getting close to closing it as it’s descending into personal abuse like all these kind of thread do eventually

Be specific detail your system and let’s see what we can suggest

Tech support starts here. I haven’t a clue what OS you are using or anything about you network kit

It’s over to you now to help yourself by providing facts :sunglasses:

A core memory leak has been noted by a few users and it’s not new to 1.8. Here’s a link, monitoring still in place. The results for 1.8 might look a bit more promising but haven’t checked properly yet. I have about 6 months of data for this now: