I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Before blaming the user - as mods have noted, unfortunately a very common thing here - you could have easily looked up his support request from a week ago.

2 Likes

Click on my name, after which you can easily access said thread if you’re actually interested in providing more than snark.

1 Like

Must say I read all these criticisms with a level of astonishment. I too have no problem finding track lyrics for what’s playing or the track or album credits - in fact I was impressed how the update gives you grouped contributors with the tracks on the album they worked on.

As for the complaints of glitches and crashes, I fortunately haven’t experienced any of these problems, nor have any of my family who all use Roon. No issues with viewing the streaming information whilst listening either.

If I didn’t like the font sizes, colours or amounts of ‘negative space’ it would not have sent me into an apoplectic fit quite frankly! At times it seems this community space has sadly become a place for toxic opinions, or people having technical issues but without first explaining any details for people to provide the assistance they need - unless that is, they’re not interested in finding solutions and are so consumed with anger and bitterness?

This is lost on me personally and all it makes me want to do is switch off and not participate in the discussion or move to another topic (or just do something else with my day!). That way no one gets anything useful from it. Just sayin’… :wink:

7 Likes

I can not speak for others, but my feeling is that Roon 1.8. may have been a big failure in terms of expectation management. Expectations were raised quite high with the marketing campaign prior to release. It was the first time it was done in such a way and it was raising expectations very high, while at the same time being rather vague on individual functions.
So there have been personal disappointments to people who are passionate about their hobby.
What I also think has contributed to the atmosphere and tone of reactions is the feeling that you need to exaggerate in order to get heard. There have been numerous threads about functionality requirements and reported bugs/glitches in the past that have been completely unanswered by Roon. So I think a lot of people (including me) took the new release as a point to readress these issues. So what you see currently is probably a mix of stuff people don’t like about 1.8 in general combined with lots of “old” stuff they hoped to be fixed from what they heard in the marketing announcements.

4 Likes

Only you can see the posts you made

All I can see is posts in the current thread

Then your are maybe not quite accustomed to the functionalities of this forum. You can look at an op‘s posts and you would have quickly spotted his Support request.

That’s what I did above and I dont think I have super-user rights here :wink:

Doing the same in the future would diminish the risk that you blame somebody again for not having properly filed his/her issues to the support team to look at.

1 Like

Click on the avatar to bring up the avatar box, then click on the avatar in the avatar box to bring up the profile page, then click on the Activity tab to see posts.

1 Like

Never knew that , I suppose I never needed it

1 Like

I don’t get your math. If 500 of 5000 active forum users complain, that already makes that 10%, right? From all those that are silent you will never know where they are sitting.

Look at that recent poll here where close to 1000 users participated. About half where not in the happy-camp.

Average those numbers and you are well within the 20% number I mentioned.
Go to the iOS App store and count all those 1 or 2 star votes.

Its not even relevant what exact percentage is not happy. The evidence is overwhelming that this update quite obviously went anything but well.

I like the fresh UI design. Let them fix all those bugs / broken features and we will eventually get there.

I am hopeful. I used to have to reboot daily (sonicTransporter i5); but, with 1.8, I haven’t needed to yet.

Working fine on Win 10 here. Backups too. Weird.

We are currently approaching 250k.

Every Roon user has a community account, but about 60k logged into this site ever.

We get about 100k users (inuding many anonymous and logged in) visiting and reading every month.

About 1000 users like a post or write post a day.

The vocal community is an extremely important, but extremely minor part of Roon users as a whole.

That said, this whole thread is a good example of the echo chamber.

Overall, we see this was one of most successful updates, with the least complaints and most signups.

24 Likes

Isn’t that offensive to the people genuinely feeling this was a poor update and backwards step?

I guess after the last major update over the weekend or was it the holiday period, this update was an improvement; anything would be an improvement.

2 Likes

If that gentleman (whatever-his-function-is in this company) is posting offensive posts and insults his users then what can you expect from that software? Alternative facts?

3 Likes

Oh please, work through this thread and it’s a handful of complaints, echoed over and over and over and over with your insults and jibes at Roon’s owners and staff thrown in at every opportunity for good measure.

I get that many are upset, but engaging in such a disrespectful manner achieves nothing. Personally I feel Roon have exercised great constraint with the likes of you. If it were me I’d have refunded you and told you to take your money and disrespect elsewhere.

14 Likes

I would say that about a thread called “I genuinely feel that this was a poor update and backwards step” that listed their grievances, but that’s not what I read above.

What is read is a discussion about the success of the release as a whole, for the company and all its users. I’m putting that in context of the actual numbers involved here. See what @evand said above – this thread is not the polite complaints you make it out to be.

7 Likes

There is a good summary of memory leak related issues to be found here:

1 Like

Unfortunately, there are a number of obnoxious, disrespectful complaints posts that raise the volume of antagonism and do no good at al l!!

5 Likes

In addition to the hostility and vitriol, there have been substantive complaints made about lost and deprecated functionality in Roon 1.8, particularly in the desktop version.

Will those complaints be taken into account if they are expressed in a calm and respectful manner?

6 Likes

That is a fair point, but looking at the first post, that appeared to be the intention of the op,

There will always be people taking the thread off topic to a greater or lesser extent, as it always happens, but that should not detract from the fact that this thread appears primarily to highlight the grievances as the op sees them.

I also note quite a number of other threads in the forum, which politely make comment about the backwards steps in the 1.8 update, so it is very good to hear that your business will hear their views, as they were put in a more polite way.

I wasn’t aware I was making anything out to be anything other than ‘some’ people trying to make a genuine list of issues heard.

3 Likes