I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

I was just saying “the most common cause…”. In your context, it could depend on how Tidal route packets through various network hops in the internet, it could also be your ISP, it could also be your geographical location, or a number of these combinations.

I think one of the possible solutions is to use google public DNS servers.

Well, all I know is that Tidal has always been a bit of a hit and miss with me, whether living where I’m at now, on the other end of town where I was before, or even 60 miles away in St Pete, FL where I used to live a few years back. Even my brother on the other end of town randomly has issues with Tidal.

Qobuz on the other hand has always been rock solid. I can literally leave it playing non-stop for days on end, and it just keeps truckin’ along.

Then again, with Tidal, it could be a Florida thing, since Florida seems to be the armpit of the country these days. LOL

Ah, ok then. So I better shut up and be happy. What a great argument to end all conversations. So you just bought a new car that broke down a few moments later with no possibility to get it fixed? There is no reason to complain, because there is a pandemic going on. Yeah, sure…

2 Likes

I can’t believe I’m still reading this thread. :thinking:

I know things will improve over time.

4 Likes

Things really aren’t nowhere near as bad as this thread makes them out to be.

5 Likes

UI redesigns are hard. No one loves them right off the bat. I’ve personally run some very big ones, and I think Roon has done a good job with the resources they have. Personally I think the classical tagging changes are worth the speed bumps as they get things more polished.

Oddly enough the hue and cry a few months ago was how old 1.7 was and when would we see new features. Give the team the benefit of the doubt and some time to clean things up. This was a giant release and there’s never a perfect time or a perfect rollout. Just my $.02 from someone that does this kind of thing for a living.

7 Likes

I dunno. For anyone whose software is non functional (can’t play music), I guess it’s dire as it can be within the confines of a luxe piece of software that you pay for and care about not working. We can all play relative issues in the world, but if mine was truly bricked I’d be righteous in my indignation.

If instead my carefully and lovingly created bookmarked focuses (foci?) were non functional because of and/or issues, I’d be loud and p***ed off. Same goes if I was constantly rebooting core/endpoints or my remotes were glitching all over the place.

However, I think that there is good data that the incidence of these dire situations is not that widespread. So it sucks for individuals, of whom there may be a lot in absolute numbers because Roon now has a much bigger install base than we are used to thinking about (250k vs the oft-quoted 100k). However, in aggregate terms the roll-out has been fairly smooth. There’s a lot left to do. They have a lot of clean up. But in aggregate terms the true functionality defect rate has both been not that terrible and the worst was (in my eyes) rapidly dealt with. Not apologizing. But I don’t personally think that the right number of people with bricked systems in a multi platform distributed roll out should be zero… and I say that in a rawlsian justice sense where I could have been one of those people.

I have less sympathy for the “purple makes my eyes burn” or “adding all this discovery / white space / etc makes my system useless/much less useful”, personally. I think there would have been plenty of drama to go all the way around twice with just the folks who have suffered and in some cases continue to suffer actual functional defects.

Short answer: it’s not as bad as this thread makes it seem for most users.

And EDIT: the fact that servers are struggling is an indication of just how well it’s going; that means that users are using a lot more in aggregate than the team were planning on provisioning for. Which may be one part incomplete/inadequate planning, but is probably equally that more users started using more. That’s good for all of us (eventually), because, aww shucks, it means people like it.

2 Likes

This begs an important question. For those who are among the 30% who did not update to 1.8, for how long can they be assured they can live in that state ?

1 Like

I run RoonServer constantly on Ubuntu Server, only restart it for software updates, here’s what I see typically:

1093 root 20 0 5387732 1.2g 245448 S 16.9 7.5 107:04.83 RoonAppliance

I’m sure some people see apparent memory growth, but it’s worth keeping in mind that the system memory allocation libraries that all applications (including Roon) rely on can create memory fragmentation that appears like a leak but it’s actually the result of a poor allocation algorithm that is not under Roon’s (or any other app’s) control. There are ways around that, but they are unportable and fragile (spent too much of my misspent youth messing around with memory management).

1 Like

No it is NOT a massive failure BUT some things need attention - the tags have been made less useful and some editing is not possible - I see this is acknowledged and being looked at.

The problem some of us have is getting into new habits after years of working with the older presentation.

Another suggestion for improvement - colour dark blue and make bold “pdf” so it is more easily seen. Currently it appears buried in other type. I’m adding pdf files to many albums and want those pdf files quick and obvious to be found.

Another oddity for me is that after an upgrade of Windows 10, ROON loses contact with the Aurilac G1 bridge so I need to power it off and on again for ROON to recognise it. That should not be necessary.

Can I get access anywhere to 1.7 versions of Roon and Roonserver for Windows? I’d really like to abandon the 1.8 interface for the previous simpler version.

Thanks,
Louis

5 Likes

I didn’t read this immense topic, but let me say this: I’ll be long gone before people stop complaining about software updates. If anything, it shows how passionate and invested we all are (as well as paying customers, of course).

From skimming the messages here I noticed people upset about the design. I’d say I am too, but to be honest this was never Roon’s strong suit. I see it as utilitarian, function over form. Using it on my laptop it feels OK, connected to a monitor it sucks. Lots of empty spaces. But hey, everything is still there, I never got lost, so there’s that.

My only gripes:

1. The touch navigation on the iOS app (and also on the desktop app, but it bothers me a bit less). Every single respectable app out there will go back to the previous page with a swipe. , I mean ALL OF THEM. Maybe the Roon guys want to be the outliers, the rebels, wanting us to tap that little back arrow on the top corner. Anyway. It sucks and I kinda gave up on this. The cost benefit still works for me.

2. The much hyped recommendation engine doesn’t do much for me. Maybe my library isn’t big enough? Maybe my tastes are not up to the AI standards? I guess I’ll never know.

3. On the technical side: once the remote app is idle for a bit it loses connection to the core. That also sucks, but maybe one is not supposed to stop listening to music?

Anyway. I love Roon, my experience has been nothing short of fantastic these past five years (almost six! should’ve gotten the lifetime sub, oh well), including the times I had issues.

Long live the company (and please fix the swipe thing, come on)

(Corrected above: I actually went to check and I’ve been using Roon since May 2015!)

1 Like

So go get on a Windoze forum and berate Bill Gates for producing horrible software (and even worse updates). You’ve no evidence this has anything to do with Roon 1.8. SMH.

2 Likes

He’s completely blown off that since the release went down how it did. The fact that I have the fastest Mac ever released and it takes 5-10s for the focus bar to appear, or how they released this many atrocious UI bugs, or how they couldn’t test in another region or fix a known crash like that identified by beta testers BEFORE releasing will continue to go unaddressed. It’s poor QA and all he’s here talking about is numbers. It’s just about marketing and sales.

I completely understand some minor bugs around new features, but performance and experience degraded overnight from a stable and easy to use 1.7 to a buggy, performance nightmare with long-standing features buried and neutered.

It’s become clear this doesn’t matter from the top down or 1.8 wouldn’t be a regression in so many aspects. Disappointing to say the least whether you call it a massive failure or head scratching attention to quality.

This is a P1, “must fix” for most software companies and this is just scratching the surface of the bugs introduced in 1.8. Hearing Roon’s team has been using this internally for 6 mos and is ok presenting its “upgrade” in such a way isn’t defensible.

9 Likes

Absolutely agree. The bug with missing audio zones is a P1 and should have been a Hot Fix. Its been a week and nothing to address this issue which renders a product I pay a premium for completely useless.

@danny - Care to chime in?

2 Likes

Wow :flushed: I advise you to listen to some relaxing music.

1 Like

Agree that memory allocation and management can be tricky. I don’t write much C/C++ these days but that provides ample scope for issues, both introduced by the developer and in the library routines called but written by others. I once spent 3 days of a clients time and money proving that the leak in my application was actually an operating system issue (VAX Unix on what were then shiny new 64 bit alpha machines). 1.7 definitely “leaked” (Roon Server running on Debian 10) in that it continued to accumulate system memory until it fell over and was restarted by as an OS service. If Roon knew the cause I’d expect them to acknowledge the issue and explain. Given that they haven’t I’d guess the cause is currently unknown. I’ve been logging this data to a file since August last year. Interestingly when I glance at the current log it might be that 1.8 is better behaved. Not got time for a proper look right now but will investigate.

I have had no issues either

1 Like

It has already been commented on by Roon and is being addressed. Perhaps the constant whiners should take a break from this thread from time to time and check out what’s happening in the rest of RoonWorld. But that might ruin their all-pessimism-all-the-time vibe.

4 Likes

Isnt that exactly what I just said?