I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Rule #1: You would not call anyone here a troll. :slight_smile:
Rule #2: You would not call me the Quinn guy!!!

Truly unbelievable. This is the second time I’m reading some off the wall comment by a “supposedly” a high rank member of this company, whatever title he has, what a lack of leadership.

Peace,
Tony

2 Likes

I do not see exactly what you are upsetting here? [Moderated]

He needs to choose better wording.

Peace,
Tony

1 Like

Better than what? [Moderated]

“Deal with Dicks”…I mean that could be easily misinterpreted by someone that English is not their first language.

1 Like

Upset over a colloquial, informal English word !!! ???

Upset. Why? are you?

1 Like

Not at all, I would consider it as informal style of communication, which I like, and I happen to think that this is the language of leadership.

1 Like

Is all good then, if that his style, and what you like… just my humble observation since this is the second time that this individual is on the board arguing with a customer about something he said and the way he said it (dinosaurs, not smart, or something like that)…and I’m new here.

Like your avatar by the way.

Peace,
Tony

3 Likes

Can I “Love” this more than once?

9 Likes

Very good summary, agree on all things. The waste of space and the way to small fonts is just crazy…

4 Likes

Roon 1.8 may be a better experience for users than before. In my opinion as an listener to a well tagged local library and sometimes tidal user it is a step backward.

I collect box sets and waiting since years for a solution that show me the different covers. I do not want any suggestions from tidal - classical music listening is not „fast food“ with clicking here and there. If I search a composition the results doesn‘t show me the number of the CD? Why? Why only this pulldown menu? Why not highlighted the CD that is playing actually? For box set users 1.8 is a big step backwards.

Please make it selectable in the settings how deep integrated the streaming service act.

Roon 1.8 has consequences for me:

• I listen a lot of CDs in these times
  • Sign out from tidal to avoid suggestions and sign in again for Roon Radio if needed.

But Roon 1.8 is not a massive failure, a lot of things are well done.

3 Likes

That’s the TT - the Transcriptor. Amazing you held onto it so long. I’d suggest it would have value as a collector’s item. I know I’d have thought about paying crazy money given its history.

Acoustic Signature isn’t well known out here either, but I’ve not looked back. My first was an upgrade from a Sota Saphire. So, I was moving from a suspended TT to a high mass design. I think my current model weighs approx 30kg - it is solid! Little can go wrong with it & I feel it’s designed to last a lifetime.

I would imagine in the UK you’d have greater variety generally than we do in Aus. I was lucky enough to meet the importer and at the time I’d never heard of Acoustic Signature at all. I took the plunge based on demo’s and the German engineering. I could easily have gone a VPI or perhaps Orbe.

Glad to hear you’ve had only positive Michell reports. :smiley:

Have you tried Focus and Filter on Box Sets

Both improve the navigation of boxes dramatically

You can Focus on Composer then Composition you had no chance in 1.7 . I am even contemplating putting my BIG boxes back in Roon

Yes, ive tried focus and filter. But If I find the work I dont find the corresponding disc number. Do You know hat I mean. It is a bit hard to explain for me.

I did much the same when when I purchased my current amplifiers many years ago now. I had never heard of Lindemann (another German manufacturer), but when I listened to a range of pre/power amps and monoblocks from much more widely known manufacturers at a demo and then on trial at home, the Lindemann 830S pre and 858 dual mono power amps I had never heard of were clearly the best - and part of the dealer’s demo in addition to streaming included an Acoustic Signature turntable.

Actually, after University when I got my first job, I left the Transcriptors turntable with my parents, so only used it for a few years.

1 Like

Lucky parents.

1 Like

And lucky hmack. I once left a rather nice Thorens with my father when he wanted a record player. On one visit a few years later I found it gone. Turned out he had donated it to a thrift store.

1 Like

Unfortunately, until Roon offer a customisation feature for theme colours and a means to select circles or squares, then the only solution is to edit files. The ‘Customising the Roon theme’ thread will tell you how.

Changing theme colours for either light or dark themes is relatively straightforward and relatively safe assuming you keep a backup of the original Roon file as a failsafe. However, changing artist circles to squares is a little more tricky & potentially dangerous. It involves editing a file called ui_atlas@1x-1.png using an an app such as Paint3D (on Win10). Details of exactly how to do this can be found on the ‘Customising’ thread.

One of the dangers is that you will potentially have to repeat this after every Roon build release if Roon have themselves made changes to the file as part of the build. If you attempt to use a backup of a previously edited file then you will risk serious problems.

1 Like