I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

@Toolio, PMs and email correspondence between forum members can be turned off in one’s profile.

Also, individual members’ thread contributions can be silenced, and there’s aways tagging the @moderators.

This place is for one’s amusement, not to be harassed. That should be cause for banning.

FWIW.

3 Likes

@Toolio mentioned that, when he originally joined the forum, it was a friendlier place and he used his real name. Like others I am appalled that anyone should see fit to cause harassment over discussions about something as relatively unimportant - particularly in the current global situation - as opinions about software.

I remember a post from some time ago when a user asked whether you could change your name and was told that this wasn’t possible. Given David’s experience I think that Roon (@support @moderators) should reflect on this and find some way of enabling users who have used their real name when registering to change it … or is the only alternative to create a new account and stop using your existing one?

This thread is that way:

Thanks for the link - but it looks like name is editable but username cannot be changed by a user.

@andybob said “I think user name isn’t editable, but name should be. You don’t currently have anything entered in the name box. I can edit your user name. PM me with any changes you would like.”

Hi @DuckSoup,
Account name is not user editable, thus we have that topic where a user can post to request their account name be changed. This topic is monitored by the mods who then action the request and reply to the requested that it’s been changed (or if not why not). It works quite well.

Thanks @carl - have sent you PM

I’m admittedly being a little grumpy here, but, I’m watching the Roon/Qobuz livestream and, I really can’t stand sometimes when marketing types act like they’re having a laid-back, chill “convo”, yet every comment is a thinly-veiled leading question that allows the other person the space to talk about how life-changing such-and-such a feature is. I know I’m watching what’s ostensibly marketing material, but, it just feels so cringy to me.

Here’s another thing that really bugged me:

Mike is talking about how cool the new recommended albums bit on the artist overview page is in 1.8, and when he’s comparing it to 1.7, he starts talking about how they show singles and only certain albums Ella Fitzgerald was on in 1.7, and he’s going “there’s a lot here”, you don’t know where to land" blah, blah, meanwhile, he’s purposely cutting off the top of the screen, where 1.7 shows her main albums chronologically & in perfect order. LOL

Then, he sort of disingenuously shows all of her albums in 1.7 only after having hit “view all albums” button offscreen, so that he frames it to look like 1.7 only showed a screen full of main albums with no real order and no release year listed, despite the fact that her albums are very easily viewed chronologically, by year, and in carousel form, on the Artist page, where it’s very easy to hear her most popular albums, by looking at both the star rating and the AMG-generated checkmark.

9 Likes

And, btw, David from Qobuz chuckling while talking about how astounding and amazing Roon’s communities are for providing Roon’s support services “for free” feels like being I’m being spoken to by a used car salesman.

I know you’re a “marketing guy”, but, brother, if you’re gonna insist on being that guy, coming across as a salesman who works at P.C. Richard, at least try to kayfabe your audience a little bit smoother. It feels a tad grimy.

7 Likes

I like some things about the new UX, others I dislike but hope these will be sorted near term as many users are complaining.

What for me is most disappointing, is that Roon is not putting any focus on better integration with the underlying OS.

For instance:

• many many months ago I reported a bug about Roon preventing MacOS from entering sleep. It shall only do so when streaming. Since energy is not so cheap where I live, and I run Roon on an iMac, this alone costs me more than the Roon subscription. And it is a silly bug that could be solved in a day

• iOS has a very neat API for lockscreen controls. I would like to just raise my phone and be able to skip a track, no unlocking and entering Roon again. Since I also use the Lumins excelent volume control, this would also enable to change volume by using the buttons on the iPhone.

• and well, Roon seems to not garbage collect memory at all. After playing some tracks I find it using 1.5 GB Ram. This is way too much and does not go down again

So my vote would be, after stabilization of 1.8, to devote a bit more time on the technical side.

For me the first two items above are also user experience and unfortunately not the focus of Roon for the past 2y.

2 Likes

And, creating and maintaining add-ons for FREE.

At the end of the day, users do more for other users and have more answers than the company charging folks. How would you like to go to a restaurant and depend on other customers to serve you and explain how your meal is made and even supply the ‘extras’ free of charge to the establishment?

Chuckling…nah LMAO!

4 Likes

Since “upgrading” to Roon 1.8 I think they should change the name to Ruined.

3 Likes

Alpha Testing, Beta Testing and Release…Tell me 1.8 was not a beta release

6 Likes

Yes. Its crap. I’ve been using Roon for years. This is a Major step backwards! Very dissapointed.

2 Likes

Yup. Beta. At best.

4 Likes

This is a better representation. Based on what was “Actually” released you decide, what was/is 1.8?

1 Like

since 1.8 the following was done:
moved to euphony stylus player, at least i have a better sound…

you’ve been roond!

1 Like

I somewhere said „early beta“ before. Based on those definitions, it would be the grey box, I‘m afraid as we‘re nowhere near stable. Maybe even orange…

well at this point we’d be at 1.8b3, i’d say beta 3 helped a bit.

looking forward to some more fixes in 1.8b4 :wink:

You‘re certainly well ahead of the actual development status :grinning: we get alpha4 soon — maybe.

I hope the apparently thousands of „beta“ testers have all been fired by now, so the pro‘s can take over :partying_face:

Well good luck to you guys.

I’m a lifetime subscriber so I might chime in from time to time, but I haven’t actually used Roon in over a year. Maybe when it finally is a production ready product I might try it again.

LOL…Yeah I heard that Roon supposedly has thousands of beta-testers around the world testing out the product before release…LOL

6 Likes